• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A somber reminder to be safe out there

VX1R

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Ordered: 2025 SW LTX-LE Final Edition
Current Riders:
2018 SW LTX-LE
2002 SRX Custom
Rough Trail: 2023 Lynx Xterrian 900TurboR
Vintage Riders:
1980 Enticer 300 Twin
1986 Inviter
1998 Phazer Mt. Lite
1996 Phazer Mt. Lite Mod
I just came across these articles this morning that describe an accident that happened this weekend in western NY. The articles speak for themselves as to what happens when you don't stay on your side of the trail.

I'm not posting this to preach or speculate, but rather to show others the grave consequences of not staying on the right side of the trail.

Please be careful out there.

http://www.syracuse.com/state/index...in_lewis_county.html#incart_2box_poststandard

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/central-...head-on-snowmobile-crash-in-lewis-county.html

https://www.nyspnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=56195

People need to learn how to share the trail. There are WAY to many out there that think this is a race and think they are the best drivers in the world. Keep your distance and stay on your side of the trail. With all the leading I do with groups, I have near misses several times a weekend and I AM on my side of the trail... you hit me, you better hope you kill me!!!

I just came across these articles this morning that describe an accident that happened this weekend in western NY. The articles speak for themselves as to what happens when you don't stay on your side of the trail.

I'm not posting this to preach or speculate, but rather to show others the grave consequences of not staying on the right side of the trail.

Please be careful out there.

http://www.syracuse.com/state/index...in_lewis_county.html#incart_2box_poststandard

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/central-...head-on-snowmobile-crash-in-lewis-county.html

https://www.nyspnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=56195

This weekend's accident was up in the Tug area in West Turin. The one sled was noted to be passing people regularly at a high rate of speed prior to the accident. He was traveling at over 75MPH when the accident occurred.

It was a busy weekend on the tug, several minor accidents were reported, several wrecked sleds, some from avoiding people in the "wrong lane" (I had 2 near misses myself from nutters flying thru the corners and into my space, 1 clocked my ankle with his ski, turned the sled almost sideways as he rode down the board then took off like a bat outta hell). We need to slow it up a bit, be more conscious of others, make it home safe.

We are our own worst enemy!

If we don't stop ourselves from doing stupid sheet like this, you can bet some left wing organization will do it for us. I don't think any of us will like what they want to do either.

People need to learn how to share the trail. There are WAY to many out there that think this is a race and think they are the best drivers in the world. Keep your distance and stay on your side of the trail. With all the leading I do with groups, I have near misses several times a weekend and I AM on my side of the trail... you hit me, you better hope you kill me!!!
X2... I am worried about what I would do also... they are out there!

I was riding the north shore a week ago and it was fairly busy since there is no snow in Minnesota and I know I was always watching close when going around corners and since my girlfriend was riding her sled behind I was even more cautious. There were still times that I would meet someone and I would see them locking there breaks up which is telling me they were moving pretty good and didn't see me until the last second. This is the reason I don't ride trails often. Pretty are to run into someone going 75mph in the backcountry.

I have done about 98% of the leading with my friends. But this year my friend took the lead what a difference riding in the back. We were in Redfield for a week. On the 9th of February we were riding from Winona forest back to Redfield. We passed a heartbreaking accident on the secondary trail that parallels Little John Dr. The gentleman lost his life that day. I saw his obituary and I felt such sorrow for his family and friend that he was riding with. You look at his picture and you see a caring man that you wish you would have had the opportunity to know. We love this sport and know things can happen very fast, for me the helplessness and dispair on the group of men at that site while they waited for the ambulance will be with me forever. God bless

A friend of mine was killed last season. He was hit head in on his side of the trail by another rider going way to fast and drinking way to much. I lead all the time and it can be a white knuckle experience for sure.

We are usually done by dark (typical sat. 150 to 200 miles in and around tug), as the beer bottles pile up on the tables at flat rock, montague, hook and ladder (I liked Tug Hill Inn name better) Tuggers, etc etc. But the snow is melting in Taberg, Williamstown, etc, so heading to a farm friend in Lowville tomorrow....but I get that knot in my gut when I read that the other day. I will say most people are respectful, and fast guys slow down ...you can tell...seems it's newbies with no respect....and too much power. We roll right along but never pass unless they know you are there, and wave us past...one at a time. They all don't know we are coming. Most look back and if they see sleds, they pull over. The hand signal thing is good and bad...a group we caught sat. signaled none, but we had 3. Then again, a guy signaled 4..and they were a ways back so we knew they were coming, in a tighter wooded trail. Best advice...there is a sled or a deer around that next corner. Always. Be ready.

Look at how OEM's show their sleds in 90% of their ads. Flying around corners and generally hauling #*$&@. What does that tell the newbie rider? That it's perfectly normal to ride THEIR sled like that on a trail.

This definitely strikes a nerve with me. My thoughts to those who have lost their friends and loved ones. As I contemplate going north alone because we had no winter, I hesitate for this very reason. When over the border last winter, I had a great time and most folks were welcoming and friendly. But there were scores of youthful souls with apparently more money to burn than they had good sense trying to impress God only knows who. When you come around the bend at me in my lane doing 80, I am not impressed. Maybe if you were in your own lane, but I still doubt it. I was run completely off the trail multiple times to avoid head on collisions and still just missed. One rider 3 back from me was just missed on a straight. Riding like that you aren't owning anything, the sled and the trail are owning you! And if you have to drink alcohol to enjoy sledding, stay home. My two.....

I always led as I knew the trails, but it can be white knuckle for sure. Nowadays, I resist leading as long as practical, so I'm following my son taking up the back (5) and I see him miss a stop sign and go right across a road, as our leader that day was half a mile ahead...a few minutes later, the second rider was off...caught a rut in a field. Kinda like those poor people that drove off the nys thruway bridge years back that collapsed and they didn't see it until too late. Need to stay focused at all times. It's not as friendly out there as it appears.

Think we have had about 15 accidents this season in Ontario ..some dead...head ons...11 yr old girl on hwy..another drove into a train...and more...

Given this has not been a banner winter, the death toll in Ontario is pretty high this year.
Two weeks ago a 24 yr died on a trail near our cottage. I run that section all the time and drove by the memorial friends had placed there on Friday. It makes you think.
I am simplifying things, but running full-out on trails that are barely open - is asking for it.
MS

Reactions: RJH

Back