• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

AD Boivin ZX2 Durability & Performance Log

mdkuni

TY 4 Stroke Guru
I plan to keep this thread up to date for the rest of this season. I really believe if anyone is going to brake this skid it will be me. So I will post my reports in this thread.

Starting with the install in my 2006 Apex ER. The skid went in fairly easy with the exception of not having a proper tool for the rivets. I even bought a large capacity hand riveter, one of the long handle versions and that managed to brake. My dealer had to finish the remaining rivets for me. I had the holes drilled just needed an air rivet gun to finish. I might remove the ones done with the hand tool this summer as they are not the greatest looking...

My tunnel needs to be polished back up to remove the old skid marks. I also still have the black mounting bracket on the tunnel where the monoshock mounted in the rear. I am not sure if I will remove it or not. I do like the extra reinforcement.

So far I have just over 100 miles on the skid plus 80 miles from the previous owner. The skid seems to transfer weight better from a stop then the mono did. Although the transfer is limited. Coming over hills at high speed the skis come off the ground but do not continue to pull up like the mono. The skid takes control and brings the skis back down rather quickly. I wish this were not the case, but I can live with it. I would like more transfer.

I am about 175 with gear. Spring preloads are on 4. Transfer is on 2 and coupling is on 5.

50 miles or so was with two people on the sled. Total weight was about 315 pounds. The skid soaked up the stutters with ease! Great feel.

Tonight I took the sled for its first HARD solo ride for about 50 miles. I wanted to know what this thing can do. I rode as hard as I possibly could. I took trails that are not groomed and put the skid to work. It pounded through with out bottoming. This is the stuff I would be cringing on the mono hoping the skid did not break. I still have this fear but time will tell what happens.

My mono skid setup with the revalve and big boy spring flat out rocked when it was not broke. These are my issues with the ZX2 that require some tweaking. The feedback to the bars now is nuts. Way to much. The bars will shake out of my hands if I let them. Front shocks are full loose then tightened a turn. Stutters are stiff now when riding solo. I will try dropping the preload down to 3.

Look at your limiter strap. Mine moved all the ray to the right. Why are there no stoppers? My rubber bushings are shot on both revolvers. Rear axle bolt backed out. Bolt was loosened twice and tightened back up without reapplying loctite. I will reloctite every time now.

Almost zero snow buildup.

Rubbing/vibration in the skid is felt at anything under 65mph or so. I have no idea what it is but I would like it fixed!

Anyone know the correct track tension and how to measure it on these skids? The manual looks like it should be measured without pulling the track down?

Attachments

• Snow Skid.JPG
    Snow Skid.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 670
  • Limiter Strap.jpg
    Limiter Strap.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 679
  • Rear Axle Bolt.JPG
    Rear Axle Bolt.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 520
  • Mono Marks.jpg
    Mono Marks.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 589
  • Mounting Plate.jpg
    Mounting Plate.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 627
  • Tunnel Install.JPG
    Tunnel Install.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 523
  • Skid Install.jpg
    Skid Install.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 655

I ran the track very tight and I had no vibration issues. Also my sled had no top end loss with the ZX2 but I found that the tighter I ran the track the better my top end was.

DC5 said:
I ran the track very tight and I had no vibration issues. Also my sled had no top end loss with the ZX2 but I found that the tighter I ran the track the better my top end was.

Thanks for the skid! It arrived in great shape and appreciate your extra care you took in packaging it.

Did you run it tight so there was no sag when the suspension was suspended without pulling the track down? Also was it done with the track cold or after a ride?

My garage is usually at 10C and I would adjust the track so it had zero sag without pulling on it. Try that and see if you notice a difference.

Skid has about 700 miles on it now. Setup is still the same with the exception of the shocks. I moved those to preload 3. The skid is still pretty firm. I am going to try to put the coupling on 4 and tighten the springs when I get some time. I need to get the weight to ride more on the rear.

I replaced the rubber bumpers with durable gas line type hose. I only needed to remove the two rear arm bolts on the revolver in order to access these. I read in other posts where the small allen bolt and nut were removed. I did not find this necessary.

On a 330 mile trip on Sunday one of the revolver bolts did back out most of the way. I did catch it in time as I check the skid frequently. The bolt that backed out was cleaned and red loctite was applied the night before it came out.

I did blow through the shock once during the trip. Coming over a hill that had a drop out before heading right back up.

As mentioned in my first post the transfer is just not the same as my mono was. I miss that. Although it transfers way better then the old pro-actions did!

Still have vibration and rubbing. I find that this track is difficult to align. I can not get the track to shift to the left without the right side being more loose then the left.

Message from Jeff at AD Boivin:

"Don't looks any further,

If you have 1 clip every 3, this is the worse thing camoplast came up with.
You will always have a vibration like this. This is simply in the conception
of the track.
We work so hard at the beginning of the Zx-2 to locate that vibration on
another vehicle in the past. Keep the track tension the way I explain it to
you earlier."

Nothing seems to have broke yet!

Attachments

• Testing Skid2.jpg
    Testing Skid2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 518
  • Testing Skid.jpg
    Testing Skid.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 485
  • Hose.jpg
    Hose.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 515
Another 40 miles last night in 5" of new snow!!! Skid is VERY squirrely in the rear and I was really noticing the rocking horse effect in the powder on the trails.

I tightened up the front shocks and moved the coupler to hole #4. I then went and rode a beat up trail. The feedback I was getting in the bars is gone! Awesome! Now I was getting bucked on the moguls. I then moved the preload on the springs to 4 and ran down the same strip. MUCH better. I may even try 5 one of these nights. It really does break the logic of what you normally do with your shocks.

I will also try backing my front shocks back to all the way loose as it really does tighten up the front with how I have it now.

The hose pieces I put in place of the rubber stops collapsed at least on one side. They are still there and serve their purpose but there is no more gap in the hose.

My limiter strap keeps moving to the right! I may resort to putting clamps on each side of the strap. Anyone else have this issue?

I spoke to Dennis Boivin this am. He said when in stalling pins at positions 1 & 4 to moisten or WD-40 the bottom of the rubber stops and hold them up with a small screw driver from the opposite you are inserting from and it will make insertion much easier.

Yes my limiter strap has moved to the right as well.

Shane said:
I spoke to Dennis Boivin this am. He said when in stalling pins at positions 1 & 4 to moisten or WD-40 the bottom of the rubber stops and hold them up with a small screw driver from the opposite you are inserting from and it will make insertion much easier.

Message from Jeff this AM regarding the strap:

"The washer is punched, so one side/corner should be rounded and not go true the strap. You don't have to over torque the bolt, just enough to prevent the movement.

Tight it up at the bottom so it does not move on the shaft and keep the top with a little movement."

Yeah, my limiter strap shifts too, but to the left.

I too have found it difficult to align my track. I don't want to have one side too loose and one side too tight, so I've just left it.

A question regarding these two items is why is this happening? Is it an install issue where the mount bolts aren't exactly in the same spot on each side in relation to the driveshaft? Or is it an alignment issue with the whole suspension? In the cold, does one composite rail "shrink" smaller than the other? Who knows? AD Boivin?

I wish Jeff from AD Boivin would return to posting here like he did when he was praising/selling this suspension at the beginning. Seems like when concerns were raised more and more, he became less and less visible. I understand he is busy and taking calls on these matters and dealing with them one on one, but here he can address issues to the benefit of all here on TY.

Issues I've had/have (some have been addressed/repaired):

-Crushed rubber bumpers inside the revolver
-Missing bolt, spacer, and washer
-Inner idler wheels are crumbling around the edges
-Difficulty aligning track
-Vibration issues

I am curious to see if there are any other issues that we have not noticed yet to come. I plan on taking out the suspension in the spring and take a good look at things, both on the sled and track, and the suspension itself.

That being said, I am still very happy with this suspension, it takes the bumps as advertised and works well in all conditions. The durability factor is still in question though and will be for some time. A couple of years on the trails will determine that.

mdkuni said:
Shane said:

Message from Jeff this AM regarding the strap:

"The washer is punched, so one side/corner should be rounded and not go true the strap. You don't have to over torque the bolt, just enough to prevent the movement.

Tight it up at the bottom so it does not move on the shaft and keep the top with a little movement."

I am not sure what he is referring to with regard to the limiter strap washers etc.

Grimm said:
Yeah, my limiter strap shifts too, but to the left.

I too have found it difficult to align my track. I don't want to have one side too loose and one side too tight, so I've just left it.

A question regarding these two items is why is this happening? Is it an install issue where the mount bolts aren't exactly in the same spot on each side in relation to the driveshaft? Or is it an alignment issue with the whole suspension? In the cold, does one composite rail "shrink" smaller than the other? Who knows? AD Boivin?

I wish Jeff from AD Boivin would return to posting here like he did when he was praising/selling this suspension at the beginning. Seems like when concerns were raised more and more, he became less and less visible. I understand he is busy and taking calls on these matters and dealing with them one on one, but here he can address issues to the benefit of all here on TY.

Issues I've had/have (some have been addressed/repaired):

-Crushed rubber bumpers inside the revolver
-Missing bolt, spacer, and washer
-Inner idler wheels are crumbling around the edges
-Difficulty aligning track
-Vibration issues

I am curious to see if there are any other issues that we have not noticed yet to come. I plan on taking out the suspension in the spring and take a good look at things, both on the sled and track, and the suspension itself.

That being said, I am still very happy with this suspension, it takes the bumps as advertised and works well in all conditions. The durability factor is still in question though and will be for some time. A couple of years on the trails will determine that.

Well said Grimm. I have spoken now with Dennis a few times. I have always left messages on his voicemail and within 24 hours, sometimes within a few hours I always have gotten a return phone call and he has been more than willing to answer my questions and never rushes me. He is very pleasant and truly wants his customers to be happy. Give him a call.

I too would like to understand the issues you discussed. I noticed that when on a lift to get the track centered, one side was slightly tighter than the other. I think Jeff should be on here answering these questions regularly as well. He was sure on here alot in the spring when the sales process was in full swing.

Somtimes I wish we didn't have these forums I keep worrying about mine loosening up and stuff and never had a issue. I have installed it and never looked back but now were heading on the 600 back pack trip so I will try to bring the TQ wrench cause I don't want anything to loosen up on me!

I'm about 90% happy with the skid I think i can adjust out the last 10%

Somtimes I wish we didn't have these forums I keep worrying about mine loosening up and stuff and never had a issue. I have installed it and never looked back but now were heading on the 600 back pack trip so I will try to bring the TQ wrench cause I don't want anything to loosen up on me!

I'm about 90% happy with the skid I think i can adjust out the last 10%

Back