• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Advice on Viper

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
None atm
Was looking at used sleds at dealers and as a larger rider (6' - 375lbs), Yamaha's have been recommended to me. I am competitive powerlifter so will have the power to move around a bigger heavier sled. This sled is a 163 with MCI turbo and looks to have updated running boards. I am going to ask about the belly plan and post relocate (is the relocate required for this year of Viper?). I am a little more comfortable buying a sled like this from a dealer rather than on Kijiji etc as while i am good at researching I am not the most mechanically savvy guy out there (engineer by trade) but can figure things out. Also very inexperienced with sleds and sled maintenance so my biggest thing is looking for something reliable.

I am mostly starting out on trail with a bit of off trail and learning how to ride in powder. One guy I am going to be going with does quite a bit of mountain riding so I will be transitioning into that.

Sled Link:
https://www.cyclenorth.com/default....8500&p=1&s=Year&d=D&sq=viper&fr=xAllInventory

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks in advance.

Suspension is gonna be an issue, at your weight. Its gonna need some work, ie, money and time. The tunnel may need a little reinforcement, too. Might want to do a search on that in the forums.
Looks like a reasonable price for the sled. The low miles is nice. But the suspension is gonna get crushed. Doesn't matter what brand. If you get that worked out, I think you're gonna like it.

Suspension is gonna be an issue, at your weight. Its gonna need some work, ie, money and time. The tunnel may need a little reinforcement, too. Might want to do a search on that in the forums.
Looks like a reasonable price for the sled. The low miles is nice. But the suspension is gonna get crushed. Doesn't matter what brand. If you get that worked out, I think you're gonna like it.

Do you know what kind of suspension is typical for a bigger guy like myself? (want to investigate install and pricing) I've spoken to a couple guys close and they have rode stock suspension on nytos for 5k or so without needing anything.

Do you know what kind of suspension is typical for a bigger guy like myself? (want to investigate install and pricing) I've spoken to a couple guys close and they have rode stock suspension on nytos for 5k or so without needing anything.
I think the best option would be to run coil over shocks. The stock air stocks are not going to work. I would look into Elka shocks. They have many options they can setup for your weight and riding style. Plus they are in Canada so that'll help you. With your weight you wont have any problem moving that sled around. I also used to be into powerlifting and was 300lbs. I had a nytro and the stock shocks couldn't support my weight. I have to run heavier torsion springs and have my shocks revalved to support me.

Was looking at used sleds at dealers and as a larger rider (6' - 375lbs), Yamaha's have been recommended to me. I am competitive powerlifter so will have the power to move around a bigger heavier sled. This sled is a 163 with MCI turbo and looks to have updated running boards. I am going to ask about the belly plan and post relocate (is the relocate required for this year of Viper?). I am a little more comfortable buying a sled like this from a dealer rather than on Kijiji etc as while i am good at researching I am not the most mechanically savvy guy out there (engineer by trade) but can figure things out. Also very inexperienced with sleds and sled maintenance so my biggest thing is looking for something reliable.

I am mostly starting out on trail with a bit of off trail and learning how to ride in powder. One guy I am going to be going with does quite a bit of mountain riding so I will be transitioning into that.

Sled Link:
https://www.cyclenorth.com/default....8500&p=1&s=Year&d=D&sq=viper&fr=xAllInventory

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks in advance.
From the pictures it looks like the stock running boards. They're fine but not ideal. Once you start more off trail riding you'll notice they will hold snow. But they are easy to upgrade. As for the suspension you'll be fine. Just need to play with the air pressure. Where you're going to need to address is the front skid shock spring. They are weak from the factory. And at your weight it will most likely be too soft for you weight.. I think Zbros makes a stronger spring. Once you get used to the sled and find your looking for more then I would start looking at upgrading the rest of the shocks. I personally like fox floats. I would have then re valved and have the Evol chamber added to the two front and the main in the rear.
Once you get the off trail bug, then I would recommend one of our a-arm kits. Really make the sled perform off trail!

Cheers

Allan

Back