• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Always rotate your Clutch CCW to prevent issues when changing clutch parts!!

This info should be posted across the forum..
I've had yamaha 4 stokes since 2011 and this is the first I hear ....
Thanks for the heads up;)!

This info should be posted across the forum..
I've had yamaha 4 stokes since 2011 and this is the first I hear ....
Thanks for the heads up;)!
I believe it is only a problem on the 3 cylinder nytro,SW vector,well venture,i guess any 1049cc 3 cylinder motor.

When changing weights in mine I've noticed it will start hard after rotating the clutch...thankfully I rotate ccw whenever I've done it, but afterwards I give it a little bit a throttle to get it to fire or it will crank and crank.

Aaron Excell told me NEVER rotate it backwards when they went over the sled at pickup. Good dealer. Covered everything from reverse actuator to that...too bad I can't remember it all....lol!

Ok, I know thus is an old conversation, however, I believe I spun my clutch backwards by hand a few turns.
I have yet tried to start it thou as I have a couple sd codes that popped up prior to spinning clutch.
Codes 12,39 and 46 and a bad smell from engine (smelt like hot brake pads , but that wasn’t the case)
Anyways, is there a way ensuring chain is in correct orientation without taking it apart?
Also, any insight on what caused these codes.
The only things that were different lately.... I installed a Yamaha quick connect visor plug and USB plug in for the 12v socket that I use for my iPhone. At that time , my phone was actually not plugged into.
I also notice that I loose my hot grips when I use electric visor.
Thanks for support .... ‘17 sidewinder ltx se 14000km

Last edited:
Did you start it?

Ok, I know thus is an old conversation, however, I believe I spun my clutch backwards by hand a few turns.
I have yet tried to start it thou as I have a couple sd codes that popped up prior to spinning clutch.
Codes 12,39 and 46 and a bad smell from engine (smelt like hot brake pads , but that wasn’t the case)
Anyways, is there a way ensuring chain is in correct orientation without taking it apart?
Also, any insight on what caused these codes.
The only things that were different lately.... I installed a Yamaha quick connect visor plug and USB plug in for the 12v socket that I use for my iPhone. At that time , my phone was actually plugged into.
I also notice that I loose my hot grips when I use electric visor.
Thanks for support .... ‘17 sidewinder ltx se 14000km
Sounds like you have a couple different things going on here. I am sure someone here will know what the codes are? As far as the timing chain sled would not run very good if you jumped a tooth. And if jumped more than a tooth you will know it won’t be good. You would have to remove gas tank and valve cover to check for sure, then if chain has jumped it is a bit more work to correct as you have to tilt motor forward to get at tensioner.

Sounds like you have a couple different things going on here. I am sure someone here will know what the codes are? As far as the timing chain sled would not run very good if you jumped a tooth. And if jumped more than a tooth you will know it won’t be good. You would have to remove gas tank and valve cover to check for sure, then if chain has jumped it is a bit more work to correct as you have to tilt motor forward to get at tensioner.

I know what codes are but what caused them all to come at one time. Did one trigger it and snowballed a couple extra codes.
12- crank sensor
39 - abnormal FI
46- abnormal power supply.

I am thinking a melted wire somewhere (may explain the smell).
Bad stator?
Or did one of my new accessories wires fail.
Or a loose ground wire?
Which fuse or relay should I be looking at?
Not sure how to test a relay thou.

Can I spin clutch by hand and be able to tell if timing is so far out that it will jam and make a mess of things if started?

Can I spin clutch by hand and be able to tell if timing is so far out that it will jam and make a mess of things if started?
Sure. Pull the plugs out and turn it over by hand. Should feel if valves hit. I highly doubt you jumped time but best to be sure.

Back