• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Amsnow Best 4-Stroke Sled... Thundercat?

That's the only way they can be on top is to make up there own rules and classes, 850 class??? Ski Doo is a joke in my books.

1st AM magazine biggest joke out there! 2nd dealer I purchase from sold both models and t cat cost 300 dollars more so I guess I can buy my own tunnel flares?

In am snow shootout (I was there) the sidewinder was faster by 1-2mph and half a second in each pass made over the thundercat. Dealer improved the Yamaha gained the thundercat stayed same or lost. D&d were supposed to release track dunno info and that never materialized. So under impression yamaha drivetrain wins.

Also I don't see Yamaha getting out or scaling back. They revamped the single shot and supposedly fixed the prootype to production issue, they developed brand new clutches and have a lot being developed. I think something cool for this season

There is no bumper on the Thundercat in the photo above. Not disagreeing, as I have seen the fender flares.
I had gone online and took a look at what was offered in the different TCat models!

All have heated seats, all have handlebar risers, have heard good things about their skis,quite a few windshields to choose from and I noticed one model comes with a wrap around front bumper, and more that I won't mention! Then look at all the add on accessories one can get through Cat.

I would have never gone there because of 2 reasons. Local dealer and Cat clutches eating belts, I am not saying that I wished I had gone there, just saying they did a good job outfitting their sleds, so I understand how they " stole Yamahas Thunder" Great Pun Huh!

I shall say no more because I do not want to offend more then I have already, but we still have the looks over Cat!

[QUOTE="Motorhead, post: 1342694, member: 166"

so I understand how they " stole Yamahas Thunder" Great Pun Huh!

[/QUOTE]

Ya I like it! Plus the Thunder Cat looks so sweet!

I had gone online and took a look at what was offered in the different TCat models!

All have heated seats, all have handlebar risers, have heard good things about their skis,quite a few windshields to choose from and I noticed one model comes with a wrap around front bumper, and more that I won't mention! Then look at all the add on accessories one can get through Cat.

I would have never gone there because of 2 reasons. Local dealer and Cat clutches eating belts, I am not saying that I wished I had gone there, just saying they did a good job outfitting their sleds, so I understand how they " stole Yamahas Thunder" Great Pun Huh!

I shall say no more because I do not want to offend more then I have already, but we still have the looks over Cat!
I hear ya, that makes perfect sense, as they have done a great job with accessories for sure.

Everyone get the free Supertrax, where they claim the best and runner up? What garbage....based on what? Preproduction, as usual, no real evidence. The gen 4 850 Doo is so awesome....4 stroke reliability and the strongest cast chassis ever! Really? Don't go on doo talk....it's pretty sad. I loved my ski doos, but I would be pissed if mine broke in half hitting a frozen cowpie..I've pulled trailing arms and the tunnel mount out with a backhoe and kept riding!!..lol...
In my book, Sidewinder wins! I think Cat makes a decent strong chassis, but their qc/assembly must get to yammy standards....fast.

Everyone get the free Supertrax, where they claim the best and runner up? What garbage....based on what? Preproduction, as usual, no real evidence. The gen 4 850 Doo is so awesome....4 stroke reliability and the strongest cast chassis ever! Really? Don't go on doo talk....it's pretty sad. I loved my ski doos, but I would be pissed if mine broke in half hitting a frozen cowpie..I've pulled trailing arms and the tunnel mount out with a backhoe and kept riding!!..lol...
In my book, Sidewinder wins! I think Cat makes a decent strong chassis, but their qc/assembly must get to yammy standards....fast.
The claim of 4 stroke reliability makes me smile, Still using roller bearing on the crank. The 800 Doo claims has a 300 hr lifespan and a 6% failure rate under warranty and they are proud of that!

Pressurized Babbitt is the only way to go! Four strokes forever! Apex forever!

The claim of 4 stroke reliability makes me smile, Still using roller bearing on the crank. The 800 Doo claims has a 300 hr lifespan and a 6% failure rate under warranty and they are proud of that!

Pressurized Babbitt is the only way to go! Four strokes forever! Apex forever!
Yeah, baby! Those ball/roller bearings are glorified idler wheel technology! Now, new and improved, with a leetle oil spray....just as good as, like you say, pressurized babbitt. ....which, many don't realize, is the crank journal is riding on oil....and if it stops, it seizes! 100 ton Turbine rotors sit on babbitt or aluminum oil pressurized bearings, lifting them a few thousandths. ....and if the oil stops, it's tears it up. BUT life expectancy is like, forever as long as there is oil pressure! Ok, maybe 25 years of CONTINUOUS service....Not 300 hoursLOL!!...Apex forever! In fact, since it's already heavy, how about a 21,000 rpm tiny 6 cylinder scaled f1 motor, say, 700 hp nat. aspirated sounds nice! What say you, yamaha? I know you can do it!

Last edited:
Yeah, baby! Those ball/roller bearings are glorified idler wheel technology! Now, new and improved, with a leetle oil spray....just as good as, like you say, pressurized babbitt. ....which, many don't realize, is the crank journal is riding on oil....and if it stops, it seizes! 100 ton Turbine rotors sit on babbitt or aluminum oil pressurized bearings, lifting them a few thousandths. ....and if the oil stops, it's tears it up. BUT life expectancy is like, forever as long as there is oil pressure! Ok, maybe 25 years of CONTINUOUS service....Not 300 hoursLOL!!...Apex forever! In fact, since it's already heavy, how about a 21,000 rpm tiny 6 cylinder scaled f1 motor, say, 700 hp nat. aspirated sounds nice! What say you, yamaha? I know you can do it!

Id just like to stick with 150 to 160 HP NA Apex engine at 11,000 rpm. Perfect HP and awesome engine. Bullet proof and the best record of any engine in a sled to date. Plus the best sounding engine ever put in a sled with the exception of maybe the VMax 4. That put wood in my pencil when ever I heard one!

If we want to fantasize I will go with a 900 to 1000cc triple two stroke with pressure fed Babbitt bearings on the crank and a dry sump system like the Apex , EFI of course and a CSRV intake system force fed with a YamaCharger low boost type system. Plus CSRV exhaust does away with the port system (no transfer ports). Variable cam timing tunes the system to different throttle and rpms. Cams are cog belt driven and if a belt breaks the CSRV will not bend rods like a poppet valve. CSRV takes very little power to turn unlike conventional valve systems. I'd expect 220 hp and excellent fuel economy combined with excellent emissions.

Id just like to stick with 150 to 160 HP NA Apex engine at 11,000 rpm. Perfect HP and awesome engine. Bullet proof and the best record of any engine in a sled to date. Plus the best sounding engine ever put in a sled with the exception of maybe the VMax 4. That put wood in my pencil when ever I heard one!

If we want to fantasize I will go with a 900 to 1000cc triple two stroke with pressure fed Babbitt bearings on the crank and a dry sump system like the Apex , EFI of course and a CSRV intake system force fed with a YamaCharger low boost type system. Plus CSRV exhaust does away with the port system (no transfer ports). Variable cam timing tunes the system to different throttle and rpms. Cams are cog belt driven and if a belt breaks the CSRV will not bend rods like a poppet valve. CSRV takes very little power to turn unlike conventional valve systems. I'd expect 220 hp and excellent fuel economy combined with excellent emissions.
Make me one too!
Agree about the apex mill. It really is one great engine, and it's plenty if power....hard enough sometimes in tight woods fast as the throttle response is always right there....
Has anyone made a 2 stroke with valves as you say? I would think BRP (well, yammy too) could do it...I had great runs with the rotary valvers....

Make me one too!
Agree about the apex mill. It really is one great engine, and it's plenty if power....hard enough sometimes in tight woods fast as the throttle response is always right there....
Has anyone made a 2 stroke with valves as you say? I would think BRP (well, yammy too) could do it...I had great runs with the rotary valvers....
Two strokes with valves have been experimented with. Cost is a factor when changing to new tech as well as patents.This is a supercharged two stroke diesel engine. What I talked about places the intake and exhaust on each side of the cylinder head using a pentroof swirl type design with rotary valves to open and close the ports. Supercharger is needed to fill the cylinders but high boost pressure is not!

two-stroke-diesel-engine.gif

Back