• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another burnt stator. Stick to OEM

yank

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 rs venture
2006 rs rage
1971 elan
My stator fried out on the trapline yesterday in my 05 RS venture. It was an aftermarket(rmstator) with only 1200 miles. I had almost 20,000 on the original stator, and that was before yamaha updated to heavier copper in 2012 I believe. Had .4 ohms on the burnt one, only making 12 volts running. Would run if I jumped it, but quickly drained the battery. Pretty fried...see pic. My only breakdown on the sled in 21000 mi! Not a bad DIY , IF you trim a little aluminum in the engine compartment to allow removal without pulling engine.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 761

Thought I'd comment on this as I just had a similar experience. I only got a couple hundred miles out of the junk replacement RMstator. Stay away from these, they are chinese trash. I got over 10,000 miles on the original in my apex and I think the stator itself was still ok but the crank position sensor quit. I replaced with RMstator assembly including stator and new crank sensor, thinking it was just a back up sled now and didn't need 10,000 more miles....and then only got another couple hundred and stator fried. Replaced with oem yamaha new stator assembly and now have another flawless 1000 miles on it. Lesson learned!

Both times mine went out it seemed to happen rather slowly. Handwarmers weren't getting as hot, hard cranking. From now on I'll be checking my voltage on a regular basis to make sure it's putting out over 14 while running. Problems seem to start once the voltage gets down around 12 when idling.

Both times mine went out it seemed to happen rather slowly. Handwarmers weren't getting as hot, hard cranking. From now on I'll be checking my voltage on a regular basis to make sure it's putting out over 14 while running. Problems seem to start once the voltage gets down around 12 when idling.
I don't know if you did so already, but check my post out under "things turned out ok" I put a voltage minder to prepare myself the doom of my AM stator, I will see it in real time..

My stator fried out on the trapline yesterday in my 05 RS venture. It was an aftermarket(rmstator) with only 1200 miles. I had almost 20,000 on the original stator, and that was before yamaha updated to heavier copper in 2012 I believe. Had .4 ohms on the burnt one, only making 12 volts running. Would run if I jumped it, but quickly drained the battery. Pretty fried...see pic. My only breakdown on the sled in 21000 mi! Not a bad DIY , IF you trim a little aluminum in the engine compartment to allow removal without pulling engine.
That looks exactly like the one I just got from RaceTech in Colorado, and I bet you there all made from the same company, so I'll just plane putting another one at around 500 miles or so. And I hear some people saying there hand warmers were not getting as hot with these AM stators..

I just did that when I changed mine on my 05 Vector it work out really well, but I will be pulling the engine this summer to do the Chain Tensioner, and the Exhaust Donuts.

I don't know if you did so already, but check my post out under "things turned out ok" I put a voltage minder to prepare myself the doom of my AM stator, I will see it in real time..
That's a great idea with the voltage meter install! I'll be doing that before next season on both sleds.

I have heard about the "trimming of metal" so you don't have to pull the engine--can you diagram or take a pic of what only has to be trimmed with a dremel tool please? ALso--any good sources to watch and or follow to change out the Stator? Thanks

where \can I find this post "thing turned out ok?" also can you give me info please on what Voltage Minder you used and how to install? Thanks for your help

Thought I'd comment on this as I just had a similar experience. I only got a couple hundred miles out of the junk replacement RMstator. Stay away from these, they are chinese trash. I got over 10,000 miles on the original in my apex and I think the stator itself was still ok but the crank position sensor quit. I replaced with RMstator assembly including stator and new crank sensor, thinking it was just a back up sled now and didn't need 10,000 more miles....and then only got another couple hundred and stator fried. Replaced with oem yamaha new stator assembly and now have another flawless 1000 miles on it. Lesson learned!
How did you pull the actual Stator? Pull the engine?

Back