• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any good riding in Huntsville area or Tug Hill/O.F. area?

MCApex44

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper RTX SE (sold)
Looking for a conditions report for either place.
Looking to make a trip this week (dec.26th-29th) from WNY to either place if conditions are any good. We had snow here till mother nature let out a hot fart on Sunday and melted it all. If anyone could give a report on either I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks Tyer's.

Rode part of Tug Hill today --X-Mas!!
Rode around area of Montague Inn,Flatrock,down to Martys(Houseville) and accross rt26 and toward Timberview.
Trails had some fresh snow cover and alot was wind blown off the trails.In the woods was much better.
Most trails were packed and fairly flat with rollers but some pretty bumpy mabey avg 25-40 mph with the occasional 55+ mph.There was a crust on the fresh snow.The guys out before it refroze tore some of it up.
Some areas off the hill are thin now.
Some has been groomed but it has been warm.
There was a slight rain/sleet/snow going on today.
The mild spell and rain has left ice on the trails in places.
Some waterholes and small creeks or runoff areas are now unfrozen again.
The Tabolts Corners area near the Timberview/reservior was all but impassable.
It was a flooded intersection.The groomer tore it up going through and sleds were water/ice chunk/slush skipping accross a good 75+ ft.
Saw 7 sleds all day.
The moguls will turn rock hard on some trails that were not flat before the thaw and hopefully won't ruin it in some areas for the rest of the season.

The hill needs a bit more snow and grooming.They can't groom ice or water.

I'm in Manitoba right now for Xmas, but I'm flying back home to Huntsville today. Talking to friends yesterday and trails are supposedly tabletop and limited in other areas. Had a little warm spell with rain, but conditions are still good. I wouldn't be to brave on some lakes yet though.

Dan

I just sold a sled to a guy from Barrie. He mentioned they had about 30" on the ground a week ago. He picks the sled up tomorrow, I'll ask for an update and post it.

The guy that bought my sled said there was deicent riding in the Maskoka area. He said the lakes are slushy due to the early heavy snows, but the trails are ok.

Thx RedRX1...we "were" gonna head up tomorrow morning BUT...I just came in from cleaning/inspecting the Apex and noticed my idler wheels are shot to hell. Figures! I am pissed. I checked those damn wheels at the beginning of the season (1900 miles) and I only have put on 94 miles this year and they came apart (so they lasted 1,994 miles). Last year when the Apex was still new the dealer (gowanda starcraft) told me he replaced the stock ones with whatever ones that were supposed to hold up. I thought it was fishy from the get-go because he told me he changed them out but they didnt look any different to me ( I knew I should of asked for the stock wheels back). So...back to the dealer and not the trails! :o|

I was out again today and the trails are SHOT!
Bad, bad, bad.
Tons of washouts and creeks/beaver dams overflowing. Came across a couple guys REALLY stuck in a washout. Man they were f'n soaked tryn to get it out. Gave them a tug with a rope and got it out. Worst I have seen it for washouts/punchouts
in the 9 yrs we lived here.
We are supposed to get about 6" tonight and tomorrow, so it should help alot. Ice is starting to come now.
We ran 12 mile from top to bottom today also. Didn't see any open spots except were ya get on the lake and off. I wasn't really lookin either b/c I was travelin at mach speed! LOL!
Cheers,
Rick.

Thanks for the report mulderdad...thats good to know because I got the idler wheel situation taken care of and my brother was egging me on..."lets go up in the morning, come on lets go". I will pass on the report to him that the trails are shot. Pretty frustrating that we have time off from work during the holidays and cant take advantage of it snowmobiling. Its raining hard here now...all the snow is gone and doesnt look like much is coming anytime soon either. Sucks!

Ran 12 mile lake top to bottom again today and it was A LOT WORSE than yesterday.
Amazing how much a lake can change in 24 hrs!
Tonnes of slush and open spots now. Got a little worried couple times when following my bud b/c I could see open water appearing behind him. Actually plesently suprised at how the apex handles the slush and water. A lot better than the ol srx.
Cheers,
Rick.

Back