• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Racing the 1200 Doo...

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 RS Venture
I have a bone stock 06 Attak with 11,000 miles with a new Rip II track (unstudded for now). The competition is a 15 MXZ X 1200 with an aftermarket header and can that has minor clutch work (just enough to make it pull higher RPM's just below the limiter). He has a pre-studded track with additional studs as well. In crapy ungroomed conditions we decided to line up a handful of times on the measly 5" of snow that we just got here in New Brunswick. As bad as I hate to say it, his sled is pulling me up to about 60MPH, then we pull even and eventually I start pulling him in. We were racing on a short section of rail bed and there was no way I could chase him down. As bad as I hate to say it, he has the faster sled. I'm considering doing some clutch work but am afraid to lose top speed. If I stud my track and race on some good hard packed trail, it may be all over for the doo but that is yet to be proven. I have read on here that the 1200's are slow but they are no joke. Anyways, it would be so nice to go out and blow his doors off because we talk smack to each other all the time about it lol. Any speed tips that you guys can give me would be great. Thanks in advance.

Without studs in your track there's no way your gonna have the same bite off the line that he has. Stud your track and I bet you'll smoke him.

How much do you want to spend to blow his doors off??
Yamacharger , clutch kit and overdrive 3200+
Power programmers, ign programmers, fuel programmrs 1k or so
Exhaust headers and muffler 1k+
Air box 40
If you do all that you could add about 30hp that might cost ya 5k or upgrade to an '12 or newer.
My buddy with his '12 SE keeps making his friend spend more money on his Doo 1200 as he keeps losing the race.

How much do you want to spend to blow his doors off??
Yamacharger , clutch kit and overdrive 3200+
Power programmers, ign programmers, fuel programmrs 1k or so
Exhaust headers and muffler 1k+
Air box 40
If you do all that you could add about 30hp that might cost ya 5k or upgrade to an '12 or newer.
My buddy with his '12 SE keeps making his friend spend more money on his Doo 1200 as he keeps losing the race.
get it done yama rider and beat him!! start spendin and think about it later!!

well, get some clutch work on your Attak because last year, i compared a 2015 Apex 129 inch with my 1200 with header, and the Apex was so far ahead it wasn't even funny... so i think your 1200 is probably reving in the high 8000's, and isnt telling you everything he's got..cause a stock 1200 is waayyyyy behind a stock Apex...

wait for groomed trails before you touch anything,1200 are nothing compared to an apex

As some have already mentioned, studding will def be my next investment. I have even thought of going to a 22 top sprocket for a little better pull on the bottom when I stud it. The new Rip II track is working a lot better than the original ripsaw!

If you want to be just quicker than the Doo, studs are the way to go, if you want all out top end stay away from studs as the extra weight & rotating mass robs top end!

You should have no problem beating him from the start to the finish! My brother has a 2015 1200 Renegade X and he is just 1 sled length in front of my Vector . Make sure you have your transfer set to maximum and hang on you should blow him away!

One of my riding buddies has a 1200 Renegade and we initially went head to head a couple of times. My 2007 Attak was so dominant over the 1200 that we don't even bother lining the two of them up any more. Even my buddy with his 2015 800 Etec Gade won't run me anymore. Now off trail deep snow is another story...the Ski Doos make my Attak look silly.

I raced the same guy today with my '13 xtx, all I'll say is my heel clicker weights were a waist of money. The stock weight set up the way I had it was way faster. I lost 15mph compared to the same conditions as last year. I'm putting the other set up back in I till we get good groomed trials then I'll try the 2 speeds again but in any loose condtions it just doesn't work. The rpm were spot on at 10300 in crapy snow. Don't count out 1200's. With his full exhaust system he is comparable in power to the early model apexs at 150-155 range and the r motion can put the power down. If all your guys buddy's 1200's were slow they weren't set up Casuse this guy has had 4 of em and they have all been competitive. I just don't know what it is about the heel clickers that killed my sled mid and top end. I thought it felt stronger in the field than b 4 but the 1200 and my buddies viper could both out pull me which neither could do last year.

Back