• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Racing the 1200 Doo...

What were the rpms when you took off? Are you studded? What kinda conditions were you running in? Did you just add weights? Think the weights just need to be tuned for your sled and that 15mph will be there. Only way to tell would be back to back runs. Watch rpms closely with the stock set up.

Post your setup with the two speeds and maybe I can help. If you are not studded forget about it though. The two speeds need traction to shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my past racing experience, the heel clickers were great for 660' drag racing when studded or on hard pack conditions.
For 1000' or greater, top speed, or radar runs there are better setups.
JM.02c

I raced the same guy today with my '13 xtx, all I'll say is my heel clicker weights were a waist of money. The stock weight set up the way I had it was way faster. I lost 15mph compared to the same conditions as last year. I'm putting the other set up back in I till we get good groomed trials then I'll try the 2 speeds again but in any loose condtions it just doesn't work. The rpm were spot on at 10300 in crapy snow. Don't count out 1200's. With his full exhaust system he is comparable in power to the early model apexs at 150-155 range and the r motion can put the power down. If all your guys buddy's 1200's were slow they weren't set up Casuse this guy has had 4 of em and they have all been competitive. I just don't know what it is about the heel clickers that killed my sled mid and top end. I thought it felt stronger in the field than b 4 but the 1200 and my buddies viper could both out pull me which neither could do last year.
I have found that stock clutching especially on these Yamahas are always faster on top end then with aftermarket clutching. The only way you can gain more speed from after market clutching is if you add more power, fuel controller, exhaust, etc.

I have a bone stock 06 Attak with 11,000 miles with a new Rip II track (unstudded for now). The competition is a 15 MXZ X 1200 with an aftermarket header and can that has minor clutch work (just enough to make it pull higher RPM's just below the limiter). He has a pre-studded track with additional studs as well. In crapy ungroomed conditions we decided to line up a handful of times on the measly 5" of snow that we just got here in New Brunswick. As bad as I hate to say it, his sled is pulling me up to about 60MPH, then we pull even and eventually I start pulling him in. We were racing on a short section of rail bed and there was no way I could chase him down. As bad as I hate to say it, he has the faster sled. I'm considering doing some clutch work but am afraid to lose top speed. If I stud my track and race on some good hard packed trail, it may be all over for the doo but that is yet to be proven. I have read on here that the 1200's are slow but they are no joke. Anyways, it would be so nice to go out and blow his doors off because we talk smack to each other all the time about it lol. Any speed tips that you guys can give me would be great. Thanks in advance.
Racing is like eating a #*$&@ sandwich, The more bread you got the less #*$&@ ya eat! I wouldn't sweat it. At the end of the day he's still riding a Ski Doo !:rofl:

usually agresssive clutch weights work better on ice with studded tracks,

I wouldn't say beating a 10 year old sled with 11,000 miles is an accomplishment.

I raced the same guy today with my '13 xtx, Don't count out 1200's. With his full exhaust system he is comparable in power to the early model apexs at 150-155 range and the r motion can put the power down. If all your guys buddy's 1200's were slow they weren't set up Casuse this guy has had 4 of em and they have all been competitive.

Agreed. In the right hands, a 1200 Doo is no slouch.
My 2013 Stock Apex SE will pass by my friends well set up 1200 Doo at about 300 feet.
He has done some more work on it this year & I am expecting to lose in 660.
He has raced Ski Doo's for 20 Plus years & he usually wins his class so he knows how to set them up.

His other 1200 Doo ( a Turbo ) is no match for my Turbo Apex though. ( even on 60% boost )

Those 1200's have some pull. Riding buddy has a stock 2009 1200 renegade and I have a stock 2006 136" Apex. I don't believe his sled will beat me anywhere from bottom to top but they certainly have good power. His 1200 has really really hard steering though and seems to want to shoot straight off the trail in the corners. Maybe it needs some setup? Doo did well with that motor though!

the new doo suspensions have great weight transfer and as mentioned earlier you need to have your transfer setup better. my buddy has a '15 800 rene and i knew he had better transfer so when he wanted to run i made sure we were rolling a little when he tried me. my transfer was at minimum for trail riding (all stock gearing and clutching, just studded) and i still pulled him. From a stand still and if i don't adjust my transfer he would more then likely pull out farther on me but i think i can still go around him. i was happy, not bad for a 4 year old heavier sled, and he was really amazed how quickly i pulled him. My sled is an XTX so that longer track might have made a difference but he does have the 137 so not sure if it really did anything.

a stock 1200 is not even close to my rx, one with a cudney clutch kit works better in middle same thing not close.When they get header ecm reflash to up rev limiter to 9000 and shift them at 8900 they wake up .My buddy has one he was beating me on top but i was geared to low we will get out again changed my gearing up a little

yama
I have a bone stock 06 Attak with 11,000 miles with a new Rip II track (unstudded for now). The competition is a 15 MXZ X 1200 with an aftermarket header and can that has minor clutch work (just enough to make it pull higher RPM's just below the limiter). He has a pre-studded track with additional studs as well. In crapy ungroomed conditions we decided to line up a handful of times on the measly 5" of snow that we just got here in New Brunswick. As bad as I hate to say it, his sled is pulling me up to about 60MPH, then we pull even and eventually I start pulling him in. We were racing on a short section of rail bed and there was no way I could chase him down. As bad as I hate to say it, he has the faster sled. I'm considering doing some clutch work but am afraid to lose top speed. If I stud my track and race on some good hard packed trail, it may be all over for the doo but that is yet to be proven. I have read on here that the 1200's are slow but they are no joke. Anyways, it would be so nice to go out and blow his doors off because we talk smack to each other all the time about it lol. Any speed tips that you guys can give me would be great. Thanks in advance.

Check your inbox.........

I raced the same guy today with my '13 xtx, all I'll say is my heel clicker weights were a waist of money. The stock weight set up the way I had it was way faster. I lost 15mph compared to the same conditions as last year. I'm putting the other set up back in I till we get good groomed trials then I'll try the 2 speeds again but in any loose condtions it just doesn't work. The rpm were spot on at 10300 in crapy snow. Don't count out 1200's. With his full exhaust system he is comparable in power to the early model apexs at 150-155 range and the r motion can put the power down. If all your guys buddy's 1200's were slow they weren't set up Casuse this guy has had 4 of em and they have all been competitive. I just don't know what it is about the heel clickers that killed my sled mid and top end. I thought it felt stronger in the field than b 4 but the 1200 and my buddies viper could both out pull me which neither could do last year.
PM me if you want a better clutch setup for the Apex.

I need to renig my previous statement about 2 speeds being a waist of money. I posted that the night I got back from my first real trip out with the sled with the new weights. Had the secondary to soft and was slipping the belt bad, ruined a new Carlisle XS 805 that day. Have since tuned the heel clickers and got my secondary almost bang on and was pulling the same 1200 doo by 3 lengths in a short run on the first semi-hard pack trail conditions we have had this year yesterda. The thing finnaly launches with out blowing track to bad. And yes my xtx (144") is studded with 172, 1.375" woodys gold diggers with the 7 degree angles backers, up the middle. And I can still gps 112.3 MPH on groomed trail.

Back