• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex w/Boondocker Nitrous Dyno results

stoutner

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Website
www.ecsexpress.com
Just got back getting my Apex Dyno'd. Started out with stock and achieved max HP without nitrous at about 153 HP. Did several runs like this to verify and get a nice average.

Proceeded with the Nitrous test with 50HP boondocker kit....

My Apex is rock stock except for nitrous and We achieved about 203 HP.

The most inpressive thing is that it generates ridiculous HP at the lower RPM's. At 8200 rpm or so, the nitrous was about 65HP more than stock. In fact, at 8500 RPM with nitrous, we had about 185 HP versus 120 HP stock.

I will scan in and post graph and data sheet or two if anyone id interested.

I am extremely happy with the results. Particularly the massive HP I am genrating in the 7000-10,000 range.

Also did the 30HP nozzles and got about 33HP more. Once again, at the 7000-9000 range I was getting sometimes 45HP more than stack at the same RPM....really impressive to me.

It's good to see that I am getting the advertised HP :Rockon:

:nos

Graphs and reports

Here are some of my reports. Pic 4 & 5 are stock numbers. Pic 2 & 3 are 50 HP nozzles. Picture 1 is a graph of Stock, 30HP nozzels, and 50 HP nozzles.

Jim at Dynotech Research did a great job, was very helpful and very patient with me. What a great time we had with this.

NOTE: YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO SEE THESE REPORTS !!!

Attachments

• stockhp.jpg
    stockhp.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 497
  • stockhp1.jpg
    stockhp1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 50hp.jpg
    50hp.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 425
  • 50hp2.jpg
    50hp2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 382
  • hpgraph.jpg
    hpgraph.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 397
Very cool, good to see the actual real world numbers from a consumer. I'm actually very surprized that it hit those numbers almost perfect as advertised.

Did you use a colder range of plugs?
What did you set the "boondocker EFI box" at?
Track dyno used or crank?

stoutner said:
Just got back getting my Apex Dyno'd. Started out with stock and achieved max HP without nitrous at about 153 HP. Did several runs like this to verify and get a nice average.

Proceeded with the Nitrous test with 50HP boondocker kit....

My Apex is rock stock except for nitrous and We achieved about 203 HP.

The most inpressive thing is that it generates ridiculous HP at the lower RPM's. At 8200 rpm or so, the nitrous was about 65HP more than stock. In fact, at 8500 RPM with nitrous, we had about 185 HP versus 120 HP stock.

I will scan in and post graph and data sheet or two if anyone id interested.

I am extremely happy with the results. Particularly the massive HP I am genrating in the 7000-10,000 range.

Also did the 30HP nozzles and got about 33HP more. Once again, at the 7000-9000 range I was getting sometimes 45HP more than stack at the same RPM....really impressive to me.

It's good to see that I am getting the advertised HP :Rockon:

APEX99 said:
Did you use a colder range of plugs?
What did you set the "boondocker EFI box" at?
Track dyno used or crank?

Actually, I did have the NGK CRE10K (or whatever they are) dual prong plugs in for the first 3 stock tests and the 50HP and 30 dyno tests. I then put the stock plugs back in and ran 3 stock dyno's. Got same exact horsepowers. In fact, my peak stock horsepower was at 152 or 153 and that was with the stock plugs back in. We then dyno'd one more time with stock plugs and 50HP nozzles and had same HP throughout the range as the CRE10K's. Seems like the plugs didn't make a difference but that was my sled on this particular day...who knows.

It was a Crank dyno. www.dynotechresearch.com He does the snow week shootout dynotesting for the Old Forge Snodeo. I will say...he treated me right.

Boondocker box with 50HP nozzles set at +53 originally then moved up to +63. Ran a little rich (safer) at +63 but HP was only down 1HP at peak and throughout the range.

30HP nozzles set controller at +45 then +38 to lean it out a little. Same thing...HP was about the same through the range. Will probably run those at 45 to be safe. Particularly when the weather is much colder than it was today.

This is just what i was looking for.......couple questions..

Is this with pump gas? how easy was the kit to install? any idea if clutch weight will need to be added? and where are you located? I would love to see that thing run.

N2O

72NOVA502 said:
This is just what i was looking for.......couple questions..

Is this with pump gas? how easy was the kit to install? any idea if clutch weight will need to be added? and where are you located? I would love to see that thing run.

Pump gas 93 cut with a little bit of race gas. Probably about 95 octane total....but, that was just to be on the safe side while testing. I'll be running 93.

Kit took me about 3 hours but if I had to do it over again, I could install it easily in 1.5 hours. If you get it, PM me and i'll give you a couple of hints on making it a quicker install for you. By the way, I'm a novice when it comes to working on sleds.....so, anyone can install that kit. I'd say it is about as hard and time consuming as changing the spark plugs on the Apex. I could e-mail you the installation instructions for the Apex if you want.

I don't know about clutching yet. I'm gonna talk to some people who know more about that than do. (I know nothing about clutching to be honest).

I live in Rochester/Syracuse, NY area.

I've been waiting for Boondocker to have the box built for my Attak since October. Very excited to see your results. The bottle, soloniod and harness are mounted and waiting to plug the box in, I went with the Synergy kit, so supposedly I'll be able to trun the knob to quickly adjust from 10-70 hp.

Curious if you had a bottle heater for these tests, though I'm guessing it was warm enough indoors. Did you check bottle pressure at all?

I am really interested in doing this to one of my APex's (the GT), but am concerned about the health of the crank and lower end running spray. It sounds like a reasonable way to go.

Beerman said:
I've been waiting for Boondocker to have the box built for my Attak since October. Very excited to see your results. The bottle, soloniod and harness are mounted and waiting to plug the box in, I went with the Synergy kit, so supposedly I'll be able to trun the knob to quickly adjust from 10-70 hp.

Curious if you had a bottle heater for these tests, though I'm guessing it was warm enough indoors. Did you check bottle pressure at all?

I did talk to Kyle at Boondocker about the adjustable regulator. He led me to believe that if you adjust the regulator, you would have to adjust your fuel map every time. It would be possible to "guess" an approximate range and fuel # especially if you had a wideband o2 sensor and Air/Fuel Gauge.

I would check with them about that. Personally, I wouldn't worry about adjusting down to 10 HP. You can almost change the nozzles as quickly as you could adjust the regulator and change your fuel map. I'll bet I can change the nozzles in about 5 minutes. So, I can run the 30HP or the 50Hp and have two seperate fuel maps for those.

In order to get 70HP you would need to order a "T" fitting, tubing, and an extra manifold. Then, you could put a third nozzle with 4 holes. That would get you the 70 HP.

I did not have a bottle heater. I left the bottle in my car overnight and suspect that it was about 45 degrees when testing. I remember seeing my bottle pressure at 520 or 560 psi when I was adjusting my controller.

schmeg said:
I am really interested in doing this to one of my APex's (the GT), but am concerned about the health of the crank and lower end running spray. It sounds like a reasonable way to go.

Schmeg,

I wouldn't worry about it especially if you are only running 50 HP. Many guys run more HP than that on stock crank, rods and pistons. As long as you fuel ratio is correct (rich enough) and you have enough octane so you don't get detonation I dont think you'll have any problems at all.

I'm gonna run 93 pump gas but they recommend 94 or higher.

I have some questions....are those torque figures considering the GEAR REDUCTION? They look low, but I think they are a measured or calculated from the crank rpm, not the clutch.

Also, what kind of A/F ratios were you seeing when spraying the nitrous vs. N/A?? I thought Jim had a couple ways of measuring this???
At WOT on my wideband N/A on the trail this weeked, I was seeing 12.24 to 1 A/F. With nitrous for a short 300ft run it was 11.2 to 1.

Back