• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Asphalt stuff to drive sled around in summer?

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
Probably a really dumb question, but if I had the cooling figured out on my sled for summer use, can I use the asphalt skis, and rear suspension/track to drive around in the summer on roads registered as a 'trike'? More specifically are those components like whal's set up able to handle say 20-30 miles at a crack or are they not designed to take the heat and bumps? Thanks!

They operate on rollers not sliders for asphalt. And I wish I knew the load they could take. I would give wahl a shout and see what they have to say

Sorry buddy but its not gonna happen, you would need to go through expensive tracks every hundred miles or so... I played around on Asphalt and the sled was very difficult to turn even with power steering. I had a cool down box/cooler to exchange fluids every run. You would have to rig up blinkers and try to get the state to make it legal.... Then good luck with County jack the sheriff who wants to pull you over and tell you how illegal you are

I looked into this a few years ago. It can be done. I was going to do the tires up front and one tire in back, add blinkers, and a horn. In the state of MI you are allowed to do one custom build and get it reg. Once in your lifetime. I was a cost thing and that really long chain that scared me away. I was trying to talk my unnamed favorite Yamaha dealer into the idea. I would pay for all the parts have them go through the legal work and I'd even wrap my sled with there name all over it. They looked into it for and I was told that it comes down to the inspector I decided not to mess with it. Say you get pulled over for say speeding. DO you have a idea how fast you were going back there.

Sorry buddy but its not gonna happen, you would need to go through expensive tracks every hundred miles or so... I played around on Asphalt and the sled was very difficult to turn even with power steering. I had a cool down box/cooler to exchange fluids every run. You would have to rig up blinkers and try to get the state to make it legal.... Then good luck with County jack the sheriff who wants to pull you over and tell you how illegal you are
Not only blinkers, but the brake is on the upper part of the chain case, if you lose the chain, you don't have brakes unless you rig something up to the track drive!

Back