• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Attak vs 850 Renegade

Digging up an old thread to clarify the Doo's speedo accuracy.........

I am friends with one of the guys from a popular sports network snowmobile tv show, he did tell me a few weeks ago the new Ski-Doo speedo's are extremely inaccurate. He had a friend that was all giddy being his Doo850 was showing around 118-119 so he immediately wanted to race his buddies stock Sidewinder that was showing a bit less for top speeds on the speedo.......needless to say the SW waxed him. Turns out the 850 is really only hitting a hair over 100, meanwhile it turns out the SW's speedo is very accurate within a mile an hour or so.

Another thing I thought was kind of funny. He said they were testing and shooting their show out west late last season. After the day was over all the test riders grabbed a machine and headed back across a big lake for the lodge. He was on a new 850 pinched to the handlebar with the initial lead across the lake. He figured "I have a nice lead and no one is going to beat me back to the lodge." He said out of nowhere one of the guys on a SW blows by him like he was standing still like a flash of lightning. In his words he said......it wasn't just a few miles an hour greater, he said it was like a light switch!
So doo is using the old rx1 speedo..lol...I'd see 129 on a lake...nah...lol.
But I had some fast machz's and this sidewinder is faster than any of them. Like jt said...850''s are quick. They aren't fast.

So doo is using the old rx1 speedo..lol...I'd see 129 on a lake...nah...lol.
But I had some fast machz's and this sidewinder is faster than any of them. Like jt said...850''s are quick. They aren't fast.
Oh yes, 2s Vipers, RX1’s and Apex’s all inaccurate. Only commented being my old post said I wasn’t sure how accurate new Doo’s were but now I know. It’s funny how it leads the owners to believe they are going faster than they are. Nothing new though, I remember the old vintage sleds the same way, they’d show 80-90 when they were doing 50 something.

I can stand by the 2014’s are close, gps was only 2mph slower than speedometer

I'm riding with a 850 in two weeks. Hope it's close been told by him it's fast. I'm running power comV ulmers map, 23 top gear white secondary at 60, ypy primary, after market weights and secondary. I'm seriously considering tossing stock ones back in just to see what they do. I told him I'm looking forward to racing and that he should have no problem beating my old tank. All my bearings have been regressed put short windshield back on it's ready to go.

Funny I was going to ask one you guys, a buddy at work was telling me today he bought a Doo xrs 800 leftover that is hitting 118 mph on a forest road all stock, I was thinking to myself it would have to be one good working one, are the Doo's 800s that quick?

Skidoo speedo accuracy is a joke. Poor guys think they're doing 116. But it's closer to 104+/-.

I & others believe "marketing" to be the blame. Cause we all know skidoo could take a minute out and get things closer.

And for the most part the 850 are not fast at all. At least most of the sled owners on dootalk are saying.

I'm riding with a 850 in two weeks. Hope it's close been told by him it's fast. I'm running power comV ulmers map, 23 top gear white secondary at 60, ypy primary, after market weights and secondary. I'm seriously considering tossing stock ones back in just to see what they do. I told him I'm looking forward to racing and that he should have no problem beating my old tank. All my bearings have been regressed put short windshield back on it's ready to go.

If you get beat PM me and I'll let you know what clutch setup works the best.

I was on my buddy's Apex yesterday that he happens to have a GPS mounted on it. I set the speed to largest setting (MPH only) so I could compare it's speeds to the speedo. This was a 2011 model XTX.

Surprisingly down low up close to 85 mph it is rather close. At 25 mph on speedo it read 25 on GPS, 30 was 30, 45 was 44, 50 was 49, 65 was 63, 75 was 73, 85 was 83, 95 was 91, 100 was 95......never had chance to go higher but it was obvious close to 100 is where it gets separated. The day before on my own 2007 Attak I had it up to 120 on the speedo and it was still climbing fast but I ran out of real estate. Wish I would have had a GPS on it.

Funny I was going to ask one you guys, a buddy at work was telling me today he bought a Doo xrs 800 leftover that is hitting 118 mph on a forest road all stock, I was thinking to myself it would have to be one good working one, are the Doo's 800s that quick?

I ride with booth an 850 and an 800 ETEC Renegade... the highest GPS speed we have seen from both these Gades is 107 mph....Ski Doo speedos are Dream Meters just like everbody else’s.

If you get beat PM me and I'll let you know what clutch setup works the best.

I was on my buddy's Apex yesterday that he happens to have a GPS mounted on it. I set the speed to largest setting (MPH only) so I could compare it's speeds to the speedo. This was a 2011 model XTX.

Surprisingly down low up close to 85 mph it is rather close. At 25 mph on speedo it read 25 on GPS, 30 was 30, 45 was 44, 50 was 49, 65 was 63, 75 was 73, 85 was 83, 95 was 91, 100 was 95......never had chance to go higher but it was obvious close to 100 is where it gets separated. The day before on my own 2007 Attak I had it up to 120 on the speedo and it was still climbing fast but I ran out of real estate. Wish I would have had a GPS on it.
On my 06 Apex that is now a 136 ice ripper xt when my speedo reads 124-127 GPS is 109-111 depending on condition of snow

Well long story short I'm not ridding with the 850 doo this weekend his engine needs to be replaced and from what he said it may be awhile before he gets one. All joking aside that sucks honestly wanted to drive it see what its all about. I think it's safe to say his season is done. Hard part for him was telling me today it happened over the weekend, we were leaving tomorrow. Now I have to hunt down another one to run.

Well long story short I'm not ridding with the 850 doo this weekend his engine needs to be replaced and from what he said it may be awhile before he gets one. All joking aside that sucks honestly wanted to drive it see what its all about. I think it's safe to say his season is done. Hard part for him was telling me today it happened over the weekend, we were leaving tomorrow. Now I have to hunt down another one to run.

Wow!! But they keep buying them!! Unreal!!

It’s like the ole saying....keep DOOing same thing over and over but keep expecting different results. Doo owners must be smoking some good stuff!!

Darn 'reliability of a 4 stroke' strikes again.

Wow!! But they keep buying them!! Unreal!!

It’s like the ole saying....keep DOOing same thing over and over but keep expecting different results. Doo owners must be smoking some good stuff!!
I am grateful I own the old tank I do. It fits my needs well. Yes im interested in a winder but big thing holding me back I'm 100% split new trailer or new winder. That being said I have two boys both future riders ones 9 other is 3 and the old two place clamshell isn't going to cut it. I will continue to ride my Apex as I do mostly trail with a few lake runs/ races a season. lm leaning more towards a new or gently used trailer. Sorry about the rant.

I am grateful I own the old tank I do. It fits my needs well. Yes im interested in a winder but big thing holding me back I'm 100% split new trailer or new winder. That being said I have two boys both future riders ones 9 other is 3 and the old two place clamshell isn't going to cut it. I will continue to ride my Apex as I do mostly trail with a few lake runs/ races a season. lm leaning more towards a new or gently used trailer. Sorry about the rant.

I too have an old Attak GT with 16k clicks but it’s in fantastic shape and still hauls the mail. The SW rides better, I cannot argue being I have 2 friends with them. But for the one major trip I do a year it still gets the job done.

It kind of makes me chuckle, it still handles the 800+ class sleds on a lake.

Back