• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Base Layer Opinions (FXR/others)

Raceit369

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper LTX SE
Looking at getting a base layer top and bottom. Any opinions and advice is welcomed. Personal experience/comparison between several would be great. I tried on the FXR Vapour 20% Merino yesterday. There is also a Merino 25, 50, and 100 plus several other FXR base layers alone. Overwhelmed with options. I ride pretty aggressive so it doesn't need to be the warmest but does need to wick sweat and still stay warm.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

I've used military ECWCS Gen II & III level 1 silks for years. Thin and sheer, they wick the moisture away from you and are pretty cheap being surplus. Over the base I use the level 2 waffle polar fleece top and pants, again nice and cheap being surplus. Wearing my old HJC jacket and Choko bibs I was plenty warm to around -10F static outside temp, when it went to -20F last year I put on a polarfleece 200 sweater rather than the waffle top and was warm. They do dye black pretty nice too if that's an issue of them being coyote brown.

I went with the Under Armour Basemap. I liked the idea of the dual rating with lesser in places that need to breathe. A 2.5 basemap uses 3.0 main body and critical areas with 2.0 in other areas like pits, behind knees etc for better cooling/wicking/breathing. Unfortunately it looks like they discontinued them.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with the FXR base layers?

Back