• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery replacement, low voltage fix

Does the super capacitor work like what they use on power lines to keep the voltage up? Same principal?

Power lines use capacitor banks to counter the inductive load (motors) put on the line by consumers. They try to maintain a power factor of 1. The power in an AC circuit is equal to Voltage x Current x Cos(theta) or P = V * I * Cos(θ). Theta is the Phase angle between Voltage and Current and in a purely resistive circuit equals zero. So if the power company maintains a power factor of 1, cos(zero) = 1, then they eliminate "Loss" (unusable power). All AC circuits have a reactive part (capacitance and inductance) unlike DC power which is purely resistive.

Last edited:
The Viper is a good sled. Don't let what you read scare you. They can be had right now for great prices.

The Viper is a good sled. Don't let what you read scare you. They can be had right now for great prices.

Boy they sure can can't they? But I haven't been able to sell my Vector and no dealer will give me squat for it in trade. Just a sign of times in the used sled market I guess.

Ok so we were out again over the weekend. Again totally in love with this set up. Next time out I will try just the Super caps on a warm engine. But this time around sled sat for two weeks(with hobby battery unplugged) the Super caps drained down to about 0.35v plugged the hobby battery back in waited 2min for it to charge the Super cap and it fired right up. No hesitation. It had been -20C over night and about -15C when started.
Next morning tried just the Super Cap. temps were about -12C unplugged the hobby battery and it didn't fire. Then plugged the hobby battery back in waited 2 min and it fired up took a little longer but still started, with out any issues.

Ok so we were out again over the weekend. Again totally in love with this set up. Next time out I will try just the Super caps on a warm engine. But this time around sled sat for two weeks(with hobby battery unplugged) the Super caps drained down to about 0.35v plugged the hobby battery back in waited 2min for it to charge the Super cap and it fired right up. No hesitation. It had been -20C over night and about -15C when started.
Next morning tried just the Super Cap. temps were about -12C unplugged the hobby battery and it didn't fire. Then plugged the hobby battery back in waited 2 min and it fired up took a little longer but still started, with out any issues.
OK this is promising. Second vid it didnt turn over or start any faster than mine with no extra power supply. Actually slower. Why do you disconnect the Hobby Battery? Instead of using the Super Cap how about using the Antigravity boost pack which I carry all the time anyway? Would it have the same effect as the Super Cap if wired same?

I unplug the hobby battery as I really don't know when I can get to riding. Im not sure if it will be a week or three weeks. Figured better safe than sorry. Ive used the boost packs before and they don't seem to be nearly as powerful as the Super caps. When they came out I was pretty excited and became a EarthX dealer. But since then and putting them through the paces Im not as convinced. They work just not well. Well at least on Lithium batteries when cold. They may be better with the lead acid.
Either way I wanted a solution to the sketchy viper ecu. And for me this solution is working. Not once has the sled given me a kick back or any a code because of a voltage drop when starting. Which it did when I was using the boost packs.
The second vid is the first time it took a bit to start with the Super cap and hobby battery, probably because the engine was loaded with fuel from the first attempt where it didn't start with just the Super cap. Every single time its started with in 2 sec of turning the key.
This set up may not be for every one. But for me its working perfectly. And its off the shelf items. And at a acceptable cost.

I unplug the hobby battery as I really don't know when I can get to riding. Im not sure if it will be a week or three weeks. Figured better safe than sorry. Ive used the boost packs before and they don't seem to be nearly as powerful as the Super caps. When they came out I was pretty excited and became a EarthX dealer. But since then and putting them through the paces Im not as convinced. They work just not well. Well at least on Lithium batteries when cold. They may be better with the lead acid.
Either way I wanted a solution to the sketchy viper ecu. And for me this solution is working. Not once has the sled given me a kick back or any a code because of a voltage drop when starting. Which it did when I was using the boost packs.
The second vid is the first time it took a bit to start with the Super cap and hobby battery, probably because the engine was loaded with fuel from the first attempt where it didn't start with just the Super cap. Every single time its started with in 2 sec of turning the key.
This set up may not be for every one. But for me its working perfectly. And its off the shelf items. And at a acceptable cost.
I like it and glad you are helping us all. Just was thinking since I carry that boost pack all the time might as well use it. Sounds like those Caps put out faster. Maybe you covered it already but why are you using the Hobby Battery? Just to save weight? Would be nice to see the Super Cap and the stock battery in operation since that is what most of us use. Thanks for all the updates.

Yup for weight savings. I was using the Lithium batteries(earthX) to save weight but they are garbage when really cold out. Then Id use the boost packs on them and they still didn't work right. Now this is not a knock on EarthX at all! Were a dealer for them. Ive read nothing but great things about them out west. And mostly on 2S.
You absolutely can use the Super cap with your stock battery. I would velcro the Super cap to the top of the belt guard and run two wires back to the battery. Plus to plus negative to negative. DONE!

Yup for weight savings. I was using the Lithium batteries(earthX) to save weight but they are garbage when really cold out. Then Id use the boost packs on them and they still didn't work right. Now this is not a knock on EarthX at all! Were a dealer for them. Ive read nothing but great things about them out west. And mostly on 2S.
You absolutely can use the Super cap with your stock battery. I would velcro the Super cap to the top of the belt guard and run two wires back to the battery. Plus to plus negative to negative. DONE!
Thinking put the Super Cap in my tunnel bag so the wires are short. I guess mine is not the best one to try this on since I don't have a issue either. Who has the worst starting kickbacking sled out there? Would also like to see this setup in conjunction with the new flash. Thought is the new flash shuts off ignition if crank is too long. Then you have to try again. Would this system in conjunction with new flash make it a 1 attempt starter? That would be the hot setup. Safety of 17.5 flash and 1 start attempt. Any willing to try?

Back