• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery replacement, low voltage fix

I'm not tore up on having to remove the seat and disconnecting stuff or pulling in battery tenders, as I work with building automation I like everything automatic that's why I installed a adjustable fan controller or the cooling instead of a switch or right to the key.

I don't understand why I can have my 02 Kodak 400 and my 08 outlander 800 with original batteries left in the cold for months and turn the key and hit the button and start instantly and the viper requires more to start it then a model T lol

You need to go and do a good search to see the issues the Viper specifically is having with slightly lower voltage. Im sure 100% of everyone on here would like it to have no issues. But the issues exists and this is one way to deal with it.

I now notice it takes 3 attempts to cold start my viper after the 17.5 flash with the original battery I totally agree that it is a lack of lower voltage and a capacitor looks like a good solution to adding to starting the sled. I'm going to try this set up over the summer for sure.

Well, heres the last report on the system.(skidoo XM) Our season is done here. Ugh!

We let the Ucap sit for 4 days, it started the sled. Then we let it sit for 5 days. The volts were down to 12.1v just not enough to start the sled. Cold start.
Not bad for what it is. We used a EarthX jump pack to start the sled. All good.

There is another solution coming also. Less complicated and no its not a flash. In testing now. Just saying so people keep options open for now.
Did this "other" solution ever come to fruition? I am going over my sled and I think I am going to add the capacitor before next year. It looks like it works pretty well. I really would like to mount it in the rear but don't know if it will fit.

Did this "other" solution ever come to fruition? I am going over my sled and I think I am going to add the capacitor before next year. It looks like it works pretty well. I really would like to mount it in the rear but don't know if it will fit.
No it hasn't. Will contact the guys to see if any progress was made.

https://www.tecategroup.com/ultracapacitors-supercapacitors/ultracapacitor-FAQ.php
What is the self discharge or leakage current?

Self Discharge: Is the voltage drop on a charged cell after a set period of time without a load.

Leakage Current: Is the stable parasitic current expected when capacitor is held indefinitely on charge at the rated voltage. This value is voltage and temperature dependent.

This might be a reason to have some type of switch between the UCap and the battery. Should be pretty simple to wire.

wouldn't attaching the positive side of the UCap to the starter side of solenoid eliminate the need for a separate relay? Would the UCap still work the same way as attaching it directly to the battery?

wouldn't attaching the positive side of the UCap to the starter side of solenoid eliminate the need for a separate relay? Would the UCap still work the same way as attaching it directly to the battery?
The Ucap connected to the load side of the starter solenoid would not allow for the cap to remain at full charge over extended periods of time. The solenoid load side is not connected to power unless energized, again this would prevent the cap from maintaining a charge sufficient for engine cranking. If the Ucap is connected to the line side of the solenoid it would effectively be connected to the battery.
A relay wired to the ignition circuit with an egg timer built into the coil could allow the Ucap to be in the circuit for the time necessary for cranking and also enough time for a complete recharge. Egg timer relays are fixed time or adjustable allowing for a custom install. The egg timer relay is non-parasitic, Ucap would not be in the circuit after time-out.

Ahh. I forgot that side was not in the charge system loop.

I was thinking of the exact same thing have a relay activated by the ignition switch, so you could turn the switch on but not crank. Let it charge the UCAP and warm the lithium battery in my case (Shorai) and then after 2 mins or so crank and it should whirl over and fire. Once you shut the ignition off the relay closes and disconnects the UCAP from the battery so it doesn't wear your battery down when letting them sit for long periods of time like a snowmobile does. Be nice if someone could save me some time and dumb down a nice relay option that would handle those loads. I can do it but it will take me forever to review and research the specs of each relay vs someone that may work in the industry and just know of the perfect one :)

I was thinking of the exact same thing have a relay activated by the ignition switch, so you could turn the switch on but not crank. Let it charge the UCAP and warm the lithium battery in my case (Shorai) and then after 2 mins or so crank and it should whirl over and fire. Once you shut the ignition off the relay closes and disconnects the UCAP from the battery so it doesn't wear your battery down when letting them sit for long periods of time like a snowmobile does. Be nice if someone could save me some time and dumb down a nice relay option that would handle those loads. I can do it but it will take me forever to review and research the specs of each relay vs someone that may work in the industry and just know of the perfect one :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RELAY-75-AMP-4-PIN-DIODE-COIL-SUPPRESSION-/182109203118

https://www.zoro.com/macromatic-enc...pyQ_MFTGL6MroEnVXOasV8kuvBWYAvsl3ShoCE5vw_wcB

https://www.macromatic.com/uploads/files/pdf/instruction_sheets/901-0000-295.pdf

These parts wired correctly with the Ucap should do the trick. I might try this over the summer myself.;)!

Got my Ucap in the mail Friday. Went to the parts store for some 4 gauge cable and ends. Going to wire in directly today. I may put in a battery on/off switch at some point. I am just going to keep it simple for now.

Got my Ucap in the mail Friday. Went to the parts store for some 4 gauge cable and ends. Going to wire in directly today. I may put in a battery on/off switch at some point. I am just going to keep it simple for now.
;)!

All in. Very simple. not sure if I will leave it mounted there or move it to the clutch guard.
ucap install.jpg

Last edited:

Back