• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Be careful out there everyone! Check over your sleds

NOS-PRO

"The Burnman"
Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder, SR Viper XTX, SR Viper XTX, 2016 Apex XTX and Pro-Line Pro Stock 1000
It's that time of year where the blood gets pumping and everyone is awaiting the 1st snowfall. Just a reminder to check over your sleds, make a hand written check list of things.

1 - Bearings.....check them over and re-grease them or replace them...but definitley check them over.

2 - Make sure your carburators didn't get gunked up from the fuel sitting. Check for mice nests in the airbox.

3 - Inspect your battery and it's terminals for corrosion, make sure it holds a charge.

4 - Check your clutches for heat cracks on the sheaves, inspect the 3 pucks that the helix rides on and remove oxidation from the sheaves with fine scotchbrite. This will keep your belt from getting ruined the first time you try to move the sled.

5 - Is your belt within spec? Does it have cracks from age?

6 - Take a look at your track, check for missing clips, make sure the tension is correct, are there parts missing from the track?

7 - Want to make sure your slides are in good condition.

8 - Skis and carbides.....check them to see if the skis need new bolts or bushings or the carbides need to be replaced.

9 - How are your brakes and brake pads? This is an area that a lot of us don't check until it's too late. Make sure your rotors aren't coated with rust or your pads are cracked/worn.

10 - Is the antifreeze still good for -25 F°?

I know it's getting close to riding season.....guys are anxious to get their sleds out and tear it up. Do one thing and put a helmet on....please. Don't say it's too warm.....I won't believe you. Why? Because if I can wear a full black leather suit, gloves, boots above the ankle and a helmet on a 100° day at the track.....you can put a helmet on for a few seconds also.

Stay safe everyone

NOS-PRO great words on safety and using helment on that first 30 second ride in the yard

NOS-PRO great words on safety and using helment on that first 30 second ride in the yard

I have a cousin who will never be the same from a 30 second joyride in the yard.

Terry,

Thanks for looking after everyone on this site the way that you do. If you ever want to ride around Cadillac MI, my cabin is open to you and your crew.

Dave

Terry,

Thanks for looking after everyone on this site the way that you do. If you ever want to ride around Cadillac MI, my cabin is open to you and your crew.

Dave

Thanks Dave ;)! :)

Just looking out for all of my friends :)

Thanks excellent post. I do have some questions though I have Nytro xtx is there a post where it points out all the grease fittings? What grease should I use as well as antifreeze?

Thanks excellent post. I do have some questions though I have Nytro xtx is there a post where it points out all the grease fittings? What grease should I use as well as antifreeze?

As far as antifreeze, I like good protection so I spend a little more for a good name brand. Same as the grease, you want to find a grease that will lubricate all the time and not be affected by salt or water. A good grease will be salt, detergent and water resistant.

Just look at all the places that the suspension moves or has a pivot point. There should be a grease zerk there. Top and bottom of front torque arm, rear torque arm and coupler in suspension.

RDAY-- On the Nytro-- Pull off the Speedo sensor/reluctor gear and check the bearing. Pull off the Rubber seal and look at the bearing itself as they will corrode if you dont service that non-servicable bearing. for ~$40 it is easy to change in the garage pre-season, and wrecks a good day of riding if you dont! There is a post in the Nytro section that shows how to pull this apart- 30 min job.

And yes, wear a helmet when ever you ride, even loading and unloading on the trailers.

Back