• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best cost effective communications device?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Apex XTX
Technology is always changing. Just wondering what people are using for sled to sled communications with each other. Is it hard to hear over the sound of the engine / exhaust? Or do you just use a modular flip up helmet instead of electronics?

Thanks

2014-Yamaha-Apex-XTX-Bare-Chassis.jpg

Our group used Sena 20s's last year and I had no problem hearing the other riders while I was riding my Attak with loud Hauck exhaust. The range was a little dissapoiting considering what they advertise. They do work well while in range tho

we use the scala rider system. works well and i like that it tells me when a rider is out of range. as the guy usually leading it is great for slowing me down to keep the group together better. i actually have to turn it down on the sled as it is quiter than my sumo is.

WE''ve used Chatterbox's for years.. rugged and cheap.. I mean you can buy the older larger models on ebay for $50 that work excellant.. We use the X1 by them. Best range and long battery life. The Chatterbox Slim X1 is similar and works well too. The battery life might be a little smaller but we've never had the set go dead after being on all day with sub zero temps etc.

Open mouth piece and talk. I had communicators and learned to hate them. Lead sled stops and lets group bunch up gets thumbs up carrys on. I think for me to ever consider them again they must be push to talk, no Vox that never seems to work right. They must be wireless so no wires into the helmet that let in air and cause frostbit in an instant at -30 to 40. Sled mounted and hard wired preferred, trunk or underhood would be nice. Bluetooth compatible with my cell could work as well!

I had gotten these in 2012.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P449QI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And my review:
https://www.amazon.com/review/R3REO...lance&nodeID=1077068&store=car#wasThisHelpful

They still work but since then, one antenna broke that I JB'd back on and using velcro to hold them on the helmets as the tabs were useless. I just mostly use them for the music since my boys don't want to talk to me anymore while riding. The biggest problem I have with them is fiddling with the small buttons and the buttons don't work when cold. There are a few choices, including these same ones under different names and sellers, available on Amazon. If I were to go for a another type, I'd go with one that has a large button to call the other unit.

I've given up on them too. Stop at each intersection and make sure your group is intact. If the pack lead comes across a serious hazard, stop to signal the next sled. If you're in the back of the pack and need to stop and take a leak - just do it - we'll see you at the next stop. At the end of the day you'll have something left to talk about!

Each rider looks after the sled behind. One sled in the pack stops and it creates a chain reaction till the leader stops. Just be careful if going back to check.

Lordy I didn't realize how expensive these things can get :dunno: I usually see the small hunting Motorola type radios on sale at various places. Anyone try them? They seem to have a variety of headsets available. But then again, I use the thick Yamaha FXR gloves. I don't think i would be able to push any buttons without taking my gloves off.

images

I have been using the uClear's for 3 years now and love them. I didn't want anything with a boom mic and I wanted Bluetooth to be able to listen to music on my phone. I used the Collett's for several years and these uClear's are way better.

Still so many choices and range of prices!!! Argh!

What I want is the unit to be easily moveable from one helmet to the next. What's the best brand for this?

OR

Least expensive option to put in 3 helmets and not move them around?

I just want to be able to talk to my kids while riding. This doesn't happen often enough though! :(

The scala rider system has mounts available separate from the unit so you can set it up on multiple helmets. I use mine on my bike helmet and my sled helmet.

Back