• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Better than staring at grass!

Like most sledders across Minnesota, Jarred and I were in denial that there was good enough snow left after a couple days of 50 degrees.

So packed up the sleds and headed East, as that is where the woods has held the most snow over the past month. One week ago we ripped this region on some of the best snow of the season, so there had to be some left.

We dropped just North of Foxy's and Vacationaire and abused the Forest Riders and Nevis Trailblazers trails over to Stompin Grounds North of Aikley, MN. We met some nice folks in the bar as well as saw many of happy faces on the trail. Other than some bare spots to the West, the majority of the Paul Bunyan State Forest was still in decent shape.

This was not for the big paddle guys, or stock tracks. This was a studs or scratchers day if not both. The conditions varied greatly within any given mile

Sorry my video editing is playing catch up. I skipped like 10 trips to get caught up with the important weather. Here is the start of my flashback videos from January and hopefully we will get to the Wyoming footage.

2016/2017 Season Trip 9 - Bonspiel at Pinehurst

It's January 14th and it's time to go check out the Curling Championship/Party at Bonspiel held annually at Pinehurst Resort.

So Tom, Ryan, Rod and I dropped our sleds at Okeson's Off Trial North of Detroit Lakes. Snow running up 300 trail was very good. Once we ran up the West side of White Earth, we found nearly untouched trails.

Getting to Pinehurst, we find that the Lavoy's Zamboni has been doing a fine job on the curling lanes! They have a temporary full bar setup on the ice and there is not a spectator or play without a drink in hand!

After a quick lunch inside, we setup down towards Elbow Lake Store and make our way across Elbow Lake, Little Bemidji, Many Point Lake and Round Lake to Ice Cracking lodge.

On our way to the 400 trail to the East of the lodge, we come across a horrible accident as what looked to be a father and son on separate sleds ran off the trail and struck some down trees. We come to find out later, the boy was air lifted out with non-life threatening injuries.

We continue on down to Height of Land Lake, and over to Cotton Lake. Of all things we run into our good friend Jason Boutwell in the woods to the West of Cotton. Giving his youngest a ride on his newly installed 1+1 seat.

What a great Bluebird day in the woods!

2016/2017 Season Trip 10 - Family Ride to Vergas

So it's January 15th and time to get the kids out again.

We all met down at the Cleem cave on Little Cormorant for a drop point. There was plenty of untracked snow on the lake, and again Jarred leads us right to the groomed trails!

You bet we found a little cornice to rip up trailside. The SkiDoo FreeRide in the group provided us with some entertainment as none of us could jump like that!

On the way back from Billy's Corner Bar in Vergas, we had a second chance at the lip. Of course I take a couple passes and on the last pass proceed to stuff the trail tank so hard, I knock my GoPro out of alignment and put myself in a cloud of snow that nobody thought I could drive out of. A little sidehill action and she walked right out!

Enjoy!

2016/2017 Season Apex Track Swap
So it's January 21st, and I have had an internal struggle over studding my track with over 4500 miles on it, or going with a longer lug track. Weight aside, the Apex XTX with it's 144" tipped rail skid is such a nice crossover sled, it just needed the track to make it all work.

After quite a bit of research, I figured I could go with the Camoplast / Camso 1.6" Ice Cobra pre-studded track. With the help of friends on Totally Yamaha, we have decided that I can pull the Stud Protection in the tunnel and run this tall of a lug safely. Although nobody has done that large of a studded track, I figured I would take one for the team and try it.

Many had used this length and longer without studs, so pulling the heat exchanger protectors up front and the tunnel protectors in back showed little risk. But the Ice Cobra has plenty of dental-pick-sharp studs in it.

I also decided this was my time to get a bit more intimate with my Apex and do this myself. After printing out the appropriate pages from my Service Manual and a collection of directions from Totally Yamaha, I was set.

Biggest tips from this experience, get some small parts trays for each section of the tear down. And use an electric impact wrench! OMG, this pushed me over the edge and I purchased my Dewalt 1/2" Impact the very next week.

So with over a 1000 miles on the new Ice Cobra, it is safe to say this track rules the earth! Amazing hook up in soft snow, ice and packed trails. Over 300 miles in Wyoming in varying conditions. It allowed the trail tank to plow snow like it was an Orange snow plow from the state of Minnesota!!

Good luck all.

(PS: Don't forget the beer breaks)

Nice Job !! I'd like to go with one of those Ice Cobras someday. I don't know if I'd go with a lug that deep for where I ride, but it would be nice not to worry about putting a stud through a cooler or have a stud rip the track.

Back