• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Black Hills SD

Not a lot of action here, but it snowed all night in Lead and should keep falling another day or so. They received about a foot of fresh south near Deerfield lake. Considering the southern part of the system doesn't get snow like this often the full system should be good to excellent!

If you've ever thought about riding the Black Hills the time is now! Load them up and come out. You will not be disappointed!

Time for an update. The Black Hills have the best riding conditions we have seen in a few years right now. I'd estimate about 75% of the trails are excellent right now. It's still a little thin on the eastern and southern side of the system, but overall I'd rate most trails a 10 out of a 10. Most were like riding a highway on Sunday. I rode with some friends on Sunday and it's even good enough to venture into the meadows. We found some deep powder and it was tons of fun! Of course this is the Hills and it's full of rocks and stumps so always venture off at your own risk. It is suppose to stay chilly and snow all week.

If you're planning a trip to the Black Hills now is the time to come. It doesn't get much better than it is right now.

Best it’s been in 10 years. If you want to ride in the Black Hills now’s the time. Check out Trailshead Lodge on Facebook where you can see pictures riders have posted.

What’s the best place for info on riding the area???
What are trail types ??? Wide, narrow, scenic, rail grade, ect???
What are the grooming schedules like???
What are the musts to see or do???

Thanks,
Dean

What’s the best place for info on riding the area???
What are trail types ??? Wide, narrow, scenic, rail grade, ect???
What are the grooming schedules like???
What are the musts to see or do???

Thanks,
Dean

https://gfp.sd.gov/snowmobiling/

As far as trail types go it's mix of all of those. You have everything from some wide roads to narrow trails winding through the trees. All are well marked by number and every junction is marked with maps and large signs. I'm not 100% sure, but from what I know grooming is done with 5 Tucker Sno-cats and they generally groom nightly with 2 shifts. 4 PM to Midnight and Midnight to 8 AM. They might not hit everything mid week if there isn't much traffic. Generally it stays pretty smooth, but there can be some rough areas at times and especially on a late Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

There are multiple stocked warming shelters and outhouse facilities along the way. There are also a pit stops along the way. You can ride off-trail as long as it's National Forest land. There are some private areas the trail goes through and some are more marked then others. Some landowners don't mind as much as others, but generally it's a good idea to stay on trails in the areas that you know are private.

Deadwood is close and it's a historic town with gambling, good food and entertainment. Of course you have all of your other attractions like Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc. in the area as well. Lots of places for lodging and many are on trail. We have a couple good Yamaha dealers close as well. Sturgis Motorsports in Sturgis, SD and Black Hills Powersports in Rapid City, SD.

I guess that's the general information. It's a great place to ride.

We stayed at that lodge and there is about a 300 mile loop trail system there. One trail even runs on the Wyoming side of the line so you get to claim 2 states. :) 2 days we rode it all and then 50 degree weather and mudded in the last 20 miles. Cut the trip short. Overall glad we went but its to long of a drive to go again.

Conditions in the Black Hills are very good right now. I was out this weekend and the snow is good. I even got a chance to play in a few untouched meadows with fairly deep powder. It’s storming out pretty hard tonight. If you’ve been thinking of a Black Hills trip right now is a good time.

Yamajammer isn’t lying we just got back from 4 days of riding. So beautiful and the snow is deep off trail. You get stuck and your waste deep in areas. Will be back next year
ADC824EE-310B-4AE8-A419-808B20BD016C.jpeg
788F357E-B68C-452F-A4CF-169D7EA6621B.jpeg
7EDB712B-57A9-482F-889C-36D6029CBDA0.jpeg
C119E49A-286F-42CE-A96E-7EE9E020313F.jpeg

Attachments

• 48C41FC9-18AC-481B-9506-499EA52C8589.jpeg
    48C41FC9-18AC-481B-9506-499EA52C8589.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 208
  • C282F966-DB8A-40D0-8EC4-3926831178FE.jpeg
    C282F966-DB8A-40D0-8EC4-3926831178FE.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
good start to the season in the black hills? A group of friends and i hoping to come out right after the first of the year any input would be greatly welcomed

Sorry I haven’t been that active on here, but the Black Hills is fantastic right now! Excellent snow conditions over the entire system! I might be biased because I’m a local, but the Black Hills will always be my favorite place to ride!

Anyone local here?

Girlfriends family owns property near Hill City-Keystone Road and Pink Cabin Road in Hill City. What is the closest spot we can legally hop on the trails? I really want to make it out there in the winter.

Anyone local here?

Girlfriends family owns property near Hill City-Keystone Road and Pink Cabin Road in Hill City. What is the closest spot we can legally hop on the trails? I really want to make it out there in the winter.

If you’re near Hill City the closest place to jump on the trail would be at Mt. Meadow Resort near Deerfield Lake. The snow is always a little thinner down that way, but it’s pretty good this year.

Back