• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blown motor - 2009 GT

soo_smitty

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Phazer GT
Hey guys, unfortunately a ride I was on the other night was cut short when all of a sudden I lost power and heard some really rough noises from the engine. Sled stalled about 2 or 3 seconds after this. Looked in air box and there was oil/metal chunks that had come out of the PTO side intake. After getting it home and doing some investigating, I could see the centre intake valve on the PTO side was gone and what looked like chunks of it piled up in the next valve over. Also, after pulling the water pump, there was oil mixed with the coolant. I will be bringing the engine to a local engine guru this week for him to tear down the engine and see what needs replacing and hopefully determine a root cause

Based on that description do you guys have any ideas? It wasn't very cold, we were taking it easy due to trail conditions, sled was at right oil and coolant levels, no codes/lights on gauges. Sled has 8000 miles on it which I didn't think was a lot for this motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

might have lost a valve keeper/retainer and it ingested the valve. odds are the head will be condemed at minimum.

Lost mine at 600 miles, rod had a defect and was covered under warranty. Yours definitely sounds like a dropped valve and you might be best off finding another motor instead of finding parts to fix yours, will probably end up cheaper!

Attachments

• IMG_2337.JPG
    IMG_2337.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2337.JPG
    IMG_2337.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 126

Back