• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Boosted 998 Success

75northface

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
- 2017 Sidewinder XTX SE
- 2016 SR Viper LTX DX
- 1997 Mach Z
With the season pretty much coming to an end, it's looking like the 998 held up well with the various boost levels with a variety of vendors. It's been an impressive year considering this is the first year for this motor and tuning.

This gives me a lot to think about next year as it applies to a tune (I'd like to dance that fine line of increasing boost and maintaining a reasonably safe tune).

That being said, has anyone experienced or heard of any tuned 998 motors going down this season?

With the season pretty much coming to an end, it's looking like the 998 held up well with the various boost levels with a variety of vendors. It's been an impressive year considering this is the first year for this motor and tuning.

This gives me a lot to think about next year as it applies to a tune (I'd like to dance that fine line of increasing boost and maintaining a reasonably safe tune).

That being said, has anyone experienced or heard of any tuned 998 motors going down this season?

Not with any PROOF. A member here posted today on another forum that one went KABOOM. His words below.

"And the sidewinders do blow up .Seen one at the hill climbs yesterday .KABOOM !!
wink_old.gif
'"

Perhaps he has more info and will opine.

I would think the factory safety measures are still there saving us if deto/knock is detected, I would love to hear vendors chime in on this.

Dan

I would think the factory safety measures are still there saving us if deto/knock is detected, I would love to hear vendors chime in on this.

Dan
Dan, after I posted here the original poster of that comment basically said he LIED on the other forum thread to merely create childish drama! Apparently it did not happen. My apology to 75 and all others for sharing useless information from what turns out to be a completely unreliable source.

Not with any PROOF. A member here posted today on another forum that one went KABOOM. His words below.

"And the sidewinders do blow up .Seen one at the hill climbs yesterday .KABOOM !!
wink_old.gif
'"

Perhaps he has more info and will opine.

That particular member enjoys spreading cheer. I asked him if it was stock or 400h/p. No reply.....

Well it's not looking like we are going to hear much on this. Some rumors, some tip toeing and some other useless BS.
Unfortunate. Cheers!

If a 'Winder blows up, WE'LL HEAR ABOUT IT!!! Every 850 will have a Snake with an X across it like the Red Baron's plane. So far there's been one post on TY & i heard rumbling's of 1 more

Well there is a blown up winder in my dealers yard. I know who it belongs to and the dealer told me what they found.

The winder is longer then the 137, not sure if it is a 144 or longer but here is what caught it on fire.

During the tear down 2 cylinders were found damaged due to lean conditions, why it went lean? Yamaha is still investigating. So it went too lean and took out 2 cylinders which caused other component failure which caused oil to leak onto exhaust which caused a fire. They were able to throw snow on the sled to put out the fire but damage occurred to a lot of the plastics. I saw the sled in dealers yard with no plastics or seat on it and the motor was unbolted and sitting crooked in the chassis, it had missing top end components with rags covering the openings.
Pretty sick looking of course.
My buddy talked to the owner after it had happened, he said he loved the power of the sled and the mileage( up to 15mpg, but it caught on fire and he had a scary moment so not too happy about the brand.

I was told 1 other had failed out West also.

There was a thread this morning of one blowing up but it disappeared pretty quickly...

If a 'Winder blows up, WE'LL HEAR ABOUT IT!!! Every 850 will have a Snake with an X across it like the Red Baron's plane. So far there's been one post on TY & i heard rumbling's of 1 more

Don't be so sure. There out there and no one is talking. I know for a fact of a few gone down and never hear about them on the net. Its like top secret stuff, Area 59 kind of thing. Govt. coverup!

I would like to know why the det sensor does nothing or why they even bother to install the det sensor if it does not work or pull boost like the Suzuki did.

No one speaks about that...

Don't be so sure. There out there and no one is talking. I know for a fact of a few gone down and never hear about them on the net. Its like top secret stuff, Area 59 kind of thing. Govt. coverup!

I would like to know why the det sensor does nothing or why they even bother to install the det sensor if it does not work or pull boost like the Suzuki did.

No one speaks about that...

LOL, Maybe the aliens are moving them off the planet. :)
If it has happened it would have surfaced or will surface. You cant hide anything from the internet any more.... if they wipe their #*$&@ they post it on social media... hold on I have to check in..LOL

Dan, after I posted here the original poster of that comment basically said he LIED on the other forum thread to merely create childish drama! Apparently it did not happen. My apology to 75 and all others for sharing useless information from what turns out to be a completely unreliable source.
Apparently it did happen ,but there was no info to be had .And fyi no one said they lied ,Those are your words .If i can get some info i'll post it .

Back