• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Build of a $600 SR Viper

Katannilik1

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2005 VK540, 2010 VKPro, 2014 Viper
This is a build of a $600 2014 SR viper that I just picked up, and no it isn't stolen, well legally that is but I did steal it for 600 bucks. This machine has been used, abused and severely neglected, but that's all alright some cash and some elbow grease will make it awesome once again. And with it being income tax season it just might have to make a little more HP's via a turbo. :)

the before
IMG_0668.JPG

I should maybe call this the Exxon Valdez by the amount of oil it has already puked on my shops floor
IMG_0666.JPG

Burnt, but it has a MBRP trail can
IMG_0669.JPG

Big Burn, plus I think that lower oil line that is chewed is the leak
IMG_0670.JPG

Not sure what happened here but the tunnel is cracked and it was beat with a hammer and bolted back together with some custom Canadian tire hardware :)
IMG_0672.JPG

Hey! I know a good idea, lets take a 13.5" X 128" 2.52pitch track and see if we can get it to drive off of 2.86 pitch drivers and see if it will fit where a 15" wide track should be. NOT!! On the previous owners first attempt it obviously failed so they decided to cut the extrovert drive lugs off of the drive wheels and then realized it still doesn't work. Bone head move..
IMG_0673.JPG

Some reason there was no Schrader valve on the fox shock, so I am sure that filled with ice and water. Time for a rebuild
IMG_0675.JPG

The previous owner said it wouldn't start. I think the lack of the heavy gauge wire from the solenoid to the starter would be a great piece to have if you want to start a machine
IMG_0677.JPG

Anybody want a hitch built by Bow flex or maybe it came from a chair IDK but it has to go
IMG_0679.JPG

So as you can see it has been ridden hard, put away wet and totally neglected.

Parts Update
  • Machine $600
  • one way bearing and gears for the starter are already here and waiting to be install $400
  • Composit Talon38 - 129 X 15 X 1.5" (ordered Friday) $780(the $ for shipping is deadly to Nunavut)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Total $1780

I want this machine as light as possible so I am going to be cutting as much weight off as possible. After which the pile of parts will be weighed and I will see how much weight was removed. This weight reduction will be including reverse delete, eliminated lights, LiPo battery and things along those lines. I would love to have a scale to weight it prior but that is not available here.

No surprise that her belly would be as beat as her top, it's been across a few rocks.
IMG_0680.JPG

So nice that the heat exchanger is tucked way up protected from damage.
IMG_0681.JPG

Garbage.
IMG_0682.JPG

Some cracks on the rear lower a arm mount but it seems pretty localized, hopefully it holds
IMG_0684.JPG

So far it is just beat and dirty. Nothing too major as of yet..

Oops! I started this in the wrong spot. Thanks for moving.

Wow, should be a fun project. How many miles or Kilometers on this sled? G.B.

You know what G.B. I have no clue about the K on the machine I have yet to put a battery to it and find out.

This machine was snatched up at the right time as well. The key that came with the machine is pooched and wore out and would not turn the ignition so the guy I got it from was just about to start hacking an Arctic Cat ATV ignition and key set in place of the factory Yamaha one and judging by the level of B.S. he had already done on the sled it probably would have been a disaster and needed to be rewired after the fact. Whew! dodged that bullet

So after I got it I done a little searching and a couple phone calls latter I located the factory original spare key that came with the machine when new, the key was in Iqaluit at the original purchaser's house, so now that I have that it will make life much easier. Check this out it still has the yellow inventory tag attached to it when it comes from the dealer.

I will set a battery in place and check to see and hopefully it is still fairly low K's on it, and I hope the machine will "NOT" instantly burst into flames from some of the other shenanigans that has been done to this poor machine. I don't get why the positive lead from the solenoid to the starter is not on the machine???? Hmmm! that one is a real head scratcher, how were they starting this thing.

Almost stripped and time to start cleaning.
IMG_0692.JPG

I want to ride this thing on a beautiful day like today, not wrench on it. Oh well, guess I have to wait...
IMG_0693.JPG

Anybody have any input on the poly hoods for these things. I want to delete everything and go as light as possible. I am wondering about the hood from CRracing.

The black is cool because it kind of follows the murdered look that I want.

I am thinking all light weight and black and carbon. No decals and absolutely nothing that the machine doesn't need to run.

Any one delete their sway bar on the full width front suspension? How was it?

Now that you have it stripped down, any clue were the oil is coming from? G.B.

I am not exactly sure where the oil was coming from but the oil lines on the bottom of the tank had seen some extreme heat and where cracked badly so it was probably them. The lines are in such bad condition that they need to be changed before the motor is started again. Actually almost all of the rubber lines need to be replaced, the oil lines anyways. I don't want to have one of them pop and run the motor with no oil, a coolant line on the other hand won't be as catastrophic if one lets go.

Back