• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Build of a $600 SR Viper

Just to give an update so everyone doesn't think I have given up on this, I just received a confirmation email yesterday that all of my parts that I last ordered have made it to the dealer and have been shipped to me.

And still no bloody tax man with my money, like what is taking sooooooooooooooo long. When you owe the Government money holy cow you better pay up fast, but gees when they owe you money they sure do take their sweet time. Oh well, I hope I get to ride this thing at least once this year, it is being built as a play machine so if I can't, well, I can't.

It just means I will have one hell of a machine for next season.

I am kind of kicking myself in the but for pulling the trigger on a 129" track so quickly. I think I should of either switched to 137" rails and went with the rail extension to go longer or looked for a complete replacement suspension to bring it into 140" + range. I will see how this works for this year and maybe I will change later?

Oh and sorry for swaying of topic but,

R.I.P. Multi-purpose, you were a good machine to me.

The electrical gremlins took over and I got a bunch of trouble codes flashing on the display along with a no start situation on the last trip. And after three days at the dealer the mechanic could not fix it, so it was surplussed and we sent it out to greener or maybe I should say whiter pastures.

Ha! income tax return finally here, someone must of heard my cries.

Yes! time for a "BUNCH" of new parts for this poor old machine.

Well,$1100 worth of parts just ordered from Yamaha, and i also ordered a set of Hygear's Dual Pressure 3 resevoirs for the front. Going to be a couple boxes of parts coming my way soon :Rockon:

I am in one of those hard bind situations right now.

I don't know if I want to spend the cash on a turbo or go with a complete Patrick carbon front end.

Thoughts anyone?

J&T stealth big wheel kit ordered up and on it's way

First box of parts showed up yesterday. I now have all the parts to rebuild the rear suspension less the fourth wheel kit that is. Pics to follow soon

Big box of parts showed up today, finally I can start work on this sled. ;)!

DSCN4756.JPG
DSCN4757.JPG

Just waiting for new HD rivet gun and rivets, 4 wheel rear axle kit and Hygear dual chambers for the front shocks

Can someone please splaine to me what is going on here :dunno:. I pulled the rear suspension and the front suspension mount shaft is what looks like to be a hacked in rear axle shaft from who knows what machine, you can see the bearing recesses on each end of the shaft. The original must have broke and rather than order the right replacement ones, butchery prevailed. It also looks like it was originally to short to go from side to side of the tunnel so it was cut and welded together. This kind of explains the beating with a hammer that was done to the tunnel, obviously to make it fit. I like the fact that it is a heavy steel cross shaft not the light weight aluminum one that is factory, but it could have been done a whole lot nicer and not so butch. The aluminum shaft in the pic is the factory cross shaft that I ordered because when looking under the machine I saw the weld and I thought I would replace it and the other one is the abortion I pulled out. The only problem is I am short the rest of the spacers that are needed to put the aluminum shaft in, Oh well more ordering...
IMG_0716.JPG

And the beating the tunnel took to make it fit, you can't really see in the picture the way the tunnel was hammered out from the inside, but it is all bent up.
IMG_0672.JPG

I have a whole bunch of work to try and flatten this out and then I will probably have to reinforce it with a stiffener plate on the outside of the tunnel that is riveted in place. Yee haw FUN!!

I wonder if it would be better to go with something like this as a front mount, It would stiffen and clean up the hack that has been done. This ones from CR
suspensionadjuster.jpg

Was this sled owned by a Sasquatch? I have never seen anything like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, I'm still laughing.

I know it's crazy the amount of abuse, especially on such a new machine. I can see doing this kind of hack job to something that is 30 years old and you picked it up out of your neighbors yard for free, but not to something like this. Every time I look at it and start work on it I just shake my head.

Thanks for the laugh kinger:jump:

Well here we go Yamaha sending the wrong parts in the right labeled bags.

These new collars are supposed to be the same as the aluminum ones above it, these locate the center shock on the skid. You can see how bad a shape the original ones are in, they are actually supposed to be twice as long as they are.
IMG_0718.JPG

And I don't care what any one says that spring does not look like a hose.
IMG_0719.JPG

But not that big a deal at the moment I was just looking at the front Pivot arm of the suspension and the whole thing has been broken and then welded at some time. Which is understandable, accept for the fact that when they welded it, they put it off center about 3/8" to the right of the machine. So this has miss aligned the front of the rails by 3/8" to the left.:o| <- everywhere turn, I'm banging my head, my forehead is getting very flat and sore. I have about a month left of snow hopefully I will get this together before it is all gone.

Back