• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Building a mountainsled of a RTX

This is the situation.
I´m thinking of buying a cheap rtx and turn it into a mountainsled by puting a timbersled 153 skid,CE track,skinz front end,mtx skis and a ofc reloc and riser.

Why all this hassle,why not buy a mtx in the first place. Well here in sweden you can get a rtx very cheap,well maintained and maybe 5000-6000km on it. A early mtx will cost at least $1000 more,dobious maintenance and pretty worn overall.....and I will change skid,frontend,track etc on a mtx anyway.

So ,is this even possible? I know that the rear skid arm have to be relocated and with new dropbrakets and offcourse a tunnel extension,maybe gearing and clutching. Does anyone know if there is anything else that have to be changed or rebuild,something I haven´t thought of? I don´t have a rtx to compare with,only fotos.

:sled1:

whitewheels said:
This is the situation.
I´m thinking of buying a cheap rtx and turn it into a mountainsled by puting a timbersled 153 skid,CE track,skinz front end,mtx skis and a ofc reloc and riser.

Why all this hassle,why not buy a mtx in the first place. Well here in sweden you can get a rtx very cheap,well maintained and maybe 5000-6000km on it. A early mtx will cost at least $1000 more,dobious maintenance and pretty worn overall.....and I will change skid,frontend,track etc on a mtx anyway.

So ,is this even possible? I know that the rear skid arm have to be relocated and with new dropbrakets and offcourse a tunnel extension,maybe gearing and clutch. Does anyone know if there is anything else that have to be changed or rebuild,something I haven´t thought of? I don´t have a rtx to compare with,only fotos.

:sled1:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... ht=rtx+mtx

na, start your own build with this thread! everyones build is different, always a great tool with any mod sled to get and give good info on the build!

Yeah definitely a good question. I have seen from my 4 or so years on this site that things change over time. Things get easier things don't work. It's always cool to bring back something old and see what people think now. Just my opinion.

I can't help you much on the long track but I went to a 136 and it is working well. I'm thinking about going to a 144. Same situation for me. The 121 was too good of a deal.

Id keep my eye open for a nice MTX first, in the off season, as you'll blow thru 1000 pretty quick converting the rtx. If nothing pops up, then grab an rtx.

They are the same sled. Since you are going the route with aftermarket front end as well as aftermarket skid, it does not matter if you start from the RTX. It does have a wider front end with sway bar, but you will replace this anyway. It does have more forward drop brackets, but you will use Timbersled drop brackets anyway. The only things you don't get is the tunnel heat exchanger and the tunnel extension.

Heres a pic of my 08 RTX like it is this season.. I run a 2012 153" MTX skid and have home-made dropbrackets and relocated front suspension mounts.

The 3 last seasons i had a 144" extension kit and a backcountry track on it, which i was very happy with.

Its works really well. And with the skinz front end and a turbo its a killer ;)!

2f7d26151e010ab90dab107bfc3f8b35_zps5c4806e9.jpg

No matter what it´s going to be, there will be some parts that will be sold to finance the build. I think the skid will be difficult to sell but maybe the track and not least the narrow oem front end on the mtx. A lot of rtx have 44mm lugg track and that would be an easy sell....and shocks.
Another benefit of doing a rtx is that I´ll have to get new rails and I get the t-top steering post and I can reuse the float 2:s in the front on my skinz a-arms.
Thanks for mention the tunnelcooler. Did´nt thought of that.

Easter is coming up so after that it would(should ; ) be easy to get hold of an project sled :sled1:

Glen, I was in contact with Kramfors ligan just the other day regarding the Fox Float 2s that are on ie. 09 RTX SE. The shocks that Skins uses are fitted with a snap ring groove, to maintain the spherical bearing in place, the shock sold with the yamaha is not.

This is something that needs to be resolved if you plan on keeping your shocks. Or go with another front suspension system.

That´s coverd melmaq. I´ll get the bearings from Rick at OFT and make a "Chris edition" convertion as Chris in the phazer mountain section. Anyway, that will hopefully it´ll work for now and save me some bucks ,and if it doesn´t I´ll sell them and get the real deal when my budget is back up again :hide:

Back