• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Building a mountainsled of a RTX

I painted my seat but the sled is still in the garage. used vinyl-paint from plasti-dip i think.
i know several people in norway that has painted their seats and it holds up pretty good, some has neded á litle touch-up paint after one season.

Seat "problem" solved! I got really lucky and soursed a used skinzseat for almost no money at all. Now I just have to figure out a cheap undertunnel system that´s not to loud.

Tried making my windshield yellow tintet.....not sure if I like it.....

Still no snow to mention. Enough to test ride and brake in the new belt.
Fiddle a little with the clutches. Got a blue pink blue spring in the primary to get a smoother engage. Going to leave the 43 dr helix and also the stock rtx weights and change to a red artic spring in the secondery. Hopefully that will do it for this short season anyway.

Attachments

• pissgul.jpg
    pissgul.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 239
  • skinzseat.jpg
    skinzseat.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 268
Awesome mods, really like the look of the sled with army green and brown rails.

Please put on a real cool "above" silencer! I really like the look of a slipon above the tunnel, makes it look like a "supersled". Check Alatalos sled.
And also I read others with under tunnel exhaust having problems with making the track slippery with oil from the exhaust fumes.

Went with the undertunnel. Regarding slippery fumes I have a bent exhaust tip thats side exits....... I´ll show some pics soon. Alastaros ex(!) sled is awesome but the new owner says it loud as f*** . Not what I want

I´m very pleased with the undertunnelsytem I made,both sound and looks. Offcourse it sound more than stock but not that you would get a headake after a days riding.
Would powdercoat the tunnel blockoff plate but I just hadn´t the time.
Also put the brakelight just under the seat instead of tunnel.

Now I´m running the pink blue pink primary spring for smoother engage and also a red artic spring in the secondary. Donno but with the red artic spring some of the smoothiness of the new primary spring went away.....?! Stock rtx weights and rollers. Shim down the secondary so the belt was flush with the top of the two discs.

Finally I was able to take a short ride to get everything settled. re-torqed and almost ready for the swedish mountain this weekend :-o Have to mount the handelbar strap and re-tension the gearchain.....oh,and I also broke the reverse handle :o|

Attachments

• firstrun.jpg
    firstrun.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 258
  • primary.jpg
    primary.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 242
  • redartic.jpg
    redartic.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 245
  • blockplate2.jpg
    blockplate2.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 249
  • blockplate3.jpg
    blockplate3.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 239
  • blockplate.jpg
    blockplate.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 256
Well the sled held up without a single problem all weekend :Rockon:
Sure the undertunnelsystem packed some snow and ice but that´s ok...... for now anyway.
My buddy ride a pro and I gonna put my neck out and say - man! that nytro is front heavy.....something to work on til next season ;)!

Also hade time to weight the sled with all fluids and full tank of gas........ 262 kilogram (577 lbs)

Attachments

• IMG-20140212-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20140212-WA0006.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 264
  • jens.jpg
    jens.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 264
ruffryder said:
whitewheels said:
DIY undertunnel..........
Can you offer some more specifics with respect to what muffler you used? I like the idea of not being as loud...

It´s a simple universal oval 2" muffler (size 315mm long,160mm wide and most importatnt just 85mm tall) . I had the option to go with a round one,much like the one skinz uses on their undertunnle system,but I chose the oval to get some more dampening/muffling volume......oh and I also welded a good ol´ cross at the tip.
One thing to think about is that the muffler with the reducer,muffler and tip is almost as heavy as the oem muffler. For me this was a test to see how much clearanse it would have and how loud. Now when it works I will trying to source a titanium muffler in the same size.

Didn´t get much riding this season, 189km!! :die
I really like bulding and messing around with this sled so why not keep on modify it until next season.
Front weight reduction!
Light weight battery relocated under the seat
The toolkit and spare belt is already moved from the front to under the seat ;)!
CrMo steering post....maybe
My handlebars are to high. Thinking of getting a rsi backcountry handlebar and no riser.
And the big one - rad-delete! What do you guys think,does this vanamber tunnelcooler seems to cope with the deleted radiator or is it to small? I like the size of it because I don´t have much room at the back of the tunnel. If I known that´ll be going down thsi road earlier I´ve run coolant through my runningboards.

Attachments

• NYTRO-COOLING-KIT-FOR-A-STOCK-TUNNEL.vam.jpg
    NYTRO-COOLING-KIT-FOR-A-STOCK-TUNNEL.vam.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 272
All the above is going to lighten the sled up but am I going to mess up the balance even more?
In the latest issue of the swedish sledmag Snowrider they had a mountainsled test and weigh all the sled all liquides topped and also the weight distrubution ,right and left and backend. The oem nytro 162 had 10kg more at the clutch side and with my plans it going to be even more......

Back