• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can exhaust be fixed/welded?

Just got it back today and will hopefully be putting it in tonight. I tried calling your friend the day before, left a voicemail, he didn't call until this morning at 8am. I had already brought it to another shop yesterday, closer to home and could do it right away.

Done. While I was at it, I wrapped the exhaust. The muffler I added some aluminum sheet to cover the header wrap and wrapped the tubing with aluminum tape. All of it held together with metal zip ties I found at Princess Auto.

Welder did a good job and added a piece top and bottom to reinforce it. He said it likely filed due to metal fatigue. He also said, and I agree, that the tubing is rather thin for the amount of heat that it has to endure.

20150305_212136 (Large).jpg 20150305_213755 (Large).jpg 20150305_213804 (Large).jpg

From the little bit I ran it last night, she's nice and quiet again. Maybe a little more quiet with the extra insulation. This summer I will be closing off the tunnel properly and adding insulation, basically copying what Campsledder did. It was very easy to wrap the pipe and muffler out of the sled.

For now, I just want to ride :sled1:

Great thanks ! The smell will go away after 100km .I also used a similar heat shield for the interior of the tunnel any performance shop has it .
( http://www.thermotec.com/products/14600-suppressor-acoustical-heat-control-mat.html )
A real nice sled to ride now with all the modifications ! Finally a sled with just regular maintenance to keep up with now !
I re installed the plastic piece in the rear tunnel cut the last 2 ' off it to close in the one inch gap between the tunnel and bumper works great way less snow build up at rear exhaust tips !

Reviving this thread because, well, fcuk!

DSC_0377.JPG

The weld at the Y held up great. BTW, the accordion on that same side is split so that has to be replaced. The first bolt that holds the exhaust was missing. Either it fell out or I forgot it last time.

So, option I'm thinking about is to cut off the accordion, replace it with an automotive braided stainless one and replace the pipe up to the crack, welded.

Hi Mooseman, that sucks broken exhaust again. Why is it cracking? Are the ice boogers hitting the exhaust and causing it to break? My 2010 MP had the exhaust header crack with less then 1500 miles. I did not understand how it broke other then ice braking free and hitting the exhaust.

I think you have a good plan and you won't go broke doing it. Good thinking to revive the thread.

Thanks and I hope you are riding soon.

Yeah, no way I'm spending $1100 for a new exhaust. I don't even know if there is a flex pipe that small available. Maybe from a motorcycle or something. I haven't taken a measurement of it yet. Can't be more than 1.25".

Another possibility it finding another used exhaust and having it reinforced all the way.

If anybody has any ideas, please post them up.

PS: I still have to enclose my tunnel. The ice boogers are unreal despite my exhaust being insulated. It had a huge booger baby out the back (~20 lbs.) and then there were two more on each side inside the tunnel.

have you checked the tunnel to bulkhead rivits yet? i know on the rx, rs, apex and vectors that it causes the exhaust to break when they come loose. i had to fix kirkswim and sapplings killers rx sleds for this.

I did the first time, I'll have to check again but I have a feeling it's the missing bolt. Just weird that only one pipe broke along with the flex.

Update: The broken pipe is 1.5". I could get a new flex and piece of pipe but shipped from California, it would have taken a week or more and then get the whole thing welded together, would have taken too long. I found a complete used exhaust on eBay in Quebec so shipping shouldn't take too long. Total $426 CAD. And I'll make damn sure that bolt is in! And I'm not putting my tailpipe back on even if I can't see how this would cause this. Hope it comes in before the weekend.

Of course all this happens with the greatest snow that has just fallen and more on the way tomorrow. January was a total loss and I'm losing valuable riding time so I went with the quickest option.

I just got the replacement exhaust 2 days after odering. YAY!

But this is what I find....

DSC_0382.JPG

I just can't seem to catch a break :(

I have noticed that my sled is really loud. Can't figure out if it is just the normal Venture Lite loudness or something bigger. Guess there is only one way to find out.

That's how I became suspicious. Just notice "geez, it's kinda loud!"

For my current situation, I just said "screw it!", grabbed the vice-grips and fixed it up. It was really soft and easy to bend back. A little lumpy but should do the job. Brought it to a welding shop to have the whole thing reinforced. Should be ready tomorrow afternoon.

DSC_0388.JPG

And I found the real reason the other one broke. The reinforcement welded just past the flex pipes had broken the weld on the pipe. My missing bolt could have contributed to it though. Anyway, it's all going to be reinforced from front to the Y. @wacnstac , if you find yours broken, post up some pics. If it's a common problem, maybe we will start recommending that these things be reinforced as soon as the warranty runs out!

@maim , these sleds don't have the bulkhead riveted to the tunnel. It's all bolted together, same as the Phazer.

Back