• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can you Push/Pull Start a Viper?

Well it is not fun to do on the trail but if you remove the primary clutch spring the sheaves will grab the belt and you can pull start it with another sled towing you.

Which begs the question wouldn't it be a LOT easier/safer for a neophyte to simply remove the belt and have the 2nd sled tow you back? I'm guessing whoever asked the question may not be familiar with how to take a primary apart.

It would be but I was over 90 miles from the shack and it was 2:30 in the am in the middle of nowhere. I was not looking forward to a 2 up ride and nothing was open from Twin Lakes to Gogebic.

It would be but I was over 90 miles from the shack and it was 2:30 in the am in the middle of nowhere. I was not looking forward to a 2 up ride and nothing was open from Twin Lakes to Gogebic.
I wasn't finding fault with your plan.......merely pointing out most people wouldn't have much of an idea how to do that........

Don't attach to primary! Just overlap your wrap or it will wind up on you.

Done this several times over the years.

2014 viper, mpi
2009 Phazer 144"

Well it is not fun to do on the trail but if you remove the primary clutch spring the sheaves will grab the belt and you can pull start it with another sled towing you. I have done it on a Polaris 800 Pro R. Be careful cause the sled will creep a idle but as long as you keep the brake on it will not get away from you. If you are stranded out n the trail it will at least get you back.

not seeing how this would work. by pulling the sled you are making the secondary into the driving force to turn the motor over. but the trouble is the primary needs centrifugal force to close the sheaves and grab the belt. even without the spring in the primary. so the only way this would work is if the belt is too tight to begin with. and can grab the shaft enough to turn the engine over. now that force need to roll the motor over depends on how tight the motor is. maybe thats how yours started. the motor was loose and easily spun by the belt friction on the shaft.

The pull start idea may work, but only if it is non starter gear issue. If the gear splits you have a bunch of crap in the crankcase and should not run the engine.

Should be able to hear if it is a gear issue or a starter issue right?

Wondering if there is a way to push/pull start a Viper sled in a situation where your starter fails?

Kinda like how you would push a dirt bike, then jump on it and let the clutch out and get it to run...

Wondering if there is anyway to do this on the viper?

Push start like a dirt bike? I'd pay good money to see that!

Seems if you can do it to an Apex you should be able to do it to a Viper

This can be done I have helped do it on a nytro along side the trail. But pull starting, like hooking a rope to the sled and pulling it down the trail fast enough for the motor to start, no.

So in my Viper's tool kit there is a nylon strap. Anyone know what it is for? I made the assumption that the tool kit is the same across all of the Cat's, hence it is the same for the Yamaha's, and the strap is so that if you break the recoil on your 2 stroke Cat, the nylon strap is for clutch starting it. I figured if my battery ever died, I would use my tow strap to clutch start the Viper. Wasn't sure how exactly how I was going to do that, besides asking the biggest/strongest guy in my riding group to get it one hell of a pull...

Back