• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case leak

krm

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
sidewinder 850 mxz,850xrs 850xrs 900t22Mach Z
Has anyone else been having problems with a leaking chain case ? My ltx le ,and my cousins 2 rtxs have been leaking .

Mine also, brought it home after my last ride and put it in the shed and now a couple weeks later it has a puddle under it about 3 inches around?

It's going in for warranty Thursday. Not a bad leak, but something that shouldn't happen.

Never had this problem with the true Yamaha sleds I have had in the last 40 years

Yep, mine is leaking at the seam. Fixed it temporarily with some right stuff. Gonna reseal it myself when I change the gearing this summer.

Has anyone else been having problems with a leaking chain case ? My ltx le ,and my cousins 2 rtxs have been leaking .

Mine's at the dealer for this issue right now.

Mine had a small leak... Tightened the oil reservoir cover screws. I found the two screws on the right side needed a good snug, seems good now.

Mine had a small leak... Tightened the oil reservoir cover screws. I found the two screws on the right side needed a good snug, seems good now.

Same issue with viper. The screws that hold cover on are loctited. They seem very tight, but it's the loctite. I loosened mine, then tightened them back and no more leaking. Maybe I got lucky, but worth a try. Just don't tighten to much or something is going to break.

Similar to DOOs 7 ft.lbs torque, the SW looks to be 8 ft.lbs torque. Likely use a self tapper, so you can replace them with a proper bolt, or at the very least remove and clean the threads off and hole, then tighten to 8 ft lbs. Overtorquing can strip these easy

Dan

Torque values.jpg

I installed a different track when my sled was new and I have zero leaks. This reminds me of my 1200 Doo when I first got it. Guys were stripping the self tapping screws on the case and were having leaks. I think it has a lot to do with how guys are installing their covers and how they torque the bolts. I always make sure the cover is on correctly and then I start at the bottom and slowly work my way around the case tightening them a little at a time so I don't distort the cover and the gasket is touching evenly all around the case. You need to take your time and do it right and there should be no leaks.

XP123 brings up some excellent points. I also swapped out my track before the sled hit the snow and followed the exact same procedures that he mentions when putting back the case cover. No chain case leaks for me.

I installed a different track when my sled was new and I have zero leaks. This reminds me of my 1200 Doo when I first got it. Guys were stripping the self tapping screws on the case and were having leaks. I think it has a lot to do with how guys are installing their covers and how they torque the bolts. I always make sure the cover is on correctly and then I start at the bottom and slowly work my way around the case tightening them a little at a time so I don't distort the cover and the gasket is touching evenly all around the case. You need to take your time and do it right and there should be no leaks.
Never been apart.Factory did it .

Never been apart.Factory did it .
Maybe they need to take their time and do it right also. Sometimes those factory guys are worse than the guys like us who take our time and check things over a few times after we work on them.

MAKE sure its the chain case and not the oil reservoir.

X2, the oil tank halve is sealed to the outer chain case cover with sealant. If it leaks engine oil in this area, it can seep down the chain case cover and make it appear as if the chain case is leaking oil. Usually you will need to remove the side panel and lower the belly pan panel to get a good look at it. Also to help trace it down you can spray dry talcum powder on the cover. If there oil residue present from a leak, normally the dry talcum powder will stick to it and change color.

Same here. Noticed a leak on the ground and sure enough, oil leak. Traced it to the chain case but not sure where. I'll leave it up to warranty to fix when I bring it in for an oil change.

Back