• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case leak

The roll over check valve(for motor oil) is suspect at best.. If your SURE its motor oil not chain case > first thing to check is the roll over valve.

if its chain case fluid
The "ears" like to crack on the chain case cover, usually from hitting something while driving or over tightening, or misaligning the cover while tightening back down

Last edited:

Wow, this is quite a large sampling of leaking sleds out there....I sure hope all you guys talk to your dealers BEFORE next fall, so Yammie takes a closer look a these....obviously must me something off.

If its just the chaincase cover not being torqued properly that is not a biggie, but to have leaking/seaping ENGINE oil, that is something else.

Anyone got a good blow up of how the chain cover and then the oil ressie tank all go together? Maybe a fiche would show this well...I had assumed he engine oil ressie was a sealed unit, that could not leak....Gees, its like they take something that could be simple like a tank, and make it with a seal making for a possible leak point? grrr

My friend has a 15 Cat and has had it at the shop a few times to fix this issue. If it were me I'd fix it myself.. but he says it has warranty so they can fix it. Can't knock him for that.. but it still isn't fixed..

Has anyone else been having problems with a leaking chain case ? My ltx le ,and my cousins 2 rtxs have been leaking .
KRM,check out the rollover check valve,some had come through broke,or faulty,and it seems that preasurizes the case to the point of leaking some. Start engine let idle a few min. unscrew oil tank cap,and plug off the hole with thumb,if you feel pressure,to the point of wanting to blow off your finger,either reroute hose so it bypass,s the valve,or have dealer fix valve.

Similar to DOOs 7 ft.lbs torque, the SW looks to be 8 ft.lbs torque. Likely use a self tapper, so you can replace them with a proper bolt, or at the very least remove and clean the threads off and hole, then tighten to 8 ft lbs. Overtorquing can strip these easy

Dan

View attachment 128546
Dan,Ulmer has new better screws to replace them with.

I just got mine back from dealer under warranty. They found the seal between the oil tank and the CC leaking. All fixed now.

I just got mine back from dealer under warranty. They found the seal between the oil tank and the CC leaking. All fixed now.

I think this is becoming a well known issue on many.

My 2014 Viper leaked engine oil between oil tank and chaincase, when I serviced chaincase at end of season I removed tank from chaincase and replace sealer.Never leaked again, did not have much sealer from factory.My sidewinder looks like small leak in the same area, I will reseal when I do engine oil change.

So this is common? And so this is engine oil and not Chaincase lube correct?
I remember back when I had my Apex there was a problem with the oil tank cracking and leaking. There has also been problems with the 1200 Ski Doo oil tanks leaking from either cracking or gasket problems. The bad part about the 1200 is guys have had to remove the engine to fix it because the tank is behind the engine. I have no leaks on mine so I haven't looked at it close but is there a gasket or O ring on the tank or do they use some kind of sealer? I'm sure it's an easy fix and should be done when you change your oil.

I remember back when I had my Apex there was a problem with the oil tank cracking and leaking. There has also been problems with the 1200 Ski Doo oil tanks leaking from either cracking or gasket problems. The bad part about the 1200 is guys have had to remove the engine to fix it because the tank is behind the engine. I have no leaks on mine so I haven't looked at it close but is there a gasket or O ring on the tank or do they use some kind of sealer? I'm sure it's an easy fix and should be done when you change your oil.
Sealer .

My 2012 procross had this same thing.....I guess I had hoped after 5 seasons Cat would come up with a better seal.

So its not a gasket, but a sealer.... will keep eye on it for sure.

My 2012 procross had this same thing.....I guess I had hoped after 5 seasons Cat would come up with a better seal.

So its not a gasket, but a sealer.... will keep eye on it for sure.
Hey in our line of work we know how to apply sealer so things don't leak right Dan.

KRM,check out the rollover check valve,some had come through broke,or faulty,and it seems that preasurizes the case to the point of leaking some. Start engine let idle a few min. unscrew oil tank cap,and plug off the hole with thumb,if you feel pressure,to the point of wanting to blow off your finger,either reroute hose so it bypass,s the valve,or have dealer fix valve.
Well after a couple day back from a trip I noticed an oil spot under my Winder in the heated shop. Took the oil cap off and started it. Held my thumb on the hole for ten seconds and released my thumb. The air pressure moved my hair. Would easily blow a candle out. Checked it several more times. The pressure wasn’t as great as the sled warmed up but still had pressure. What ya think? Roll over or is this standard? The hose coming out of the oil tank looks bulged. Can someone take a look and see if this is normal?
EC85726F-6D51-46F2-BDAB-2164E3F6B2B1.jpeg

Back