• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase and brake protection?

BLH

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper LTX-SE
2023 Sidewinder 137
Any good options for this on a 2016 LTX-SE? Seems like the plastic factory ones are useless. I ride all trails in WI/MI but still concerned.

I don't like the Yamaha rear skid because it's a ton of work to remove for oil changes and would be blocked by my lift. Seems like someone should make something.

I run this plate.

sidwinder%20plate-1.jpg

http://www.barnofparts.com/skid-plates-new

Considering this for the chain case.

ChaincaseBrake_large.jpg

https://racewerx.myshopify.com/products/brake-chain-case-guard-prochassis-2012-2014-all

Funny - I have that same skid plate here ready to install.

I hadn't seen those other guards. They looks nice - expensive though!

$100+ cheaper than a chain case. And much easier to install.
Peace of mind payoff is 55 cents/day over the course of a year.
After that, you get to decide what else to spend $200 on.:dunno:
You know there's always something.;)

The Yamaha/AC rear skid plate only takes about 5 minutes to remove, the 10 extra mounting bolts are easy to access with the side panels off.

There is a post in FAQ which shows how to cut a access panel in accessory rear skid for oil change. Works slick and great protection.

FYI, the racewerx one is no longer available so I'm still looking for options.

Sucks since I already have the barn of parts plate. I guess it looks like that can be used together with some effort.

Last edited:
Any good options for this on a 2016 LTX-SE? Seems like the plastic factory ones are useless. I ride all trails in WI/MI but still concerned.

I don't like the Yamaha rear skid because it's a ton of work to remove for oil changes and would be blocked by my lift. Seems like someone should make something.

I looked at a ton of different setups, then i talked with a guy from grip and rip racing about the skidplates they ran on their cats when they ran in cains quest. After hearing his recomendations, and seeing the abuse one of my riding buddies has put on one, i deciding to go with the rpm composite carbon fiber skid plate.
In my opinion,It is hands down the best protection you can get. but, if you think removing the cheap plastic yamaha skidplate is a pain you will absolutely hate this skidplate. It is much more work than the plastic yamaha plate
If you search my posts you can find more info if you are interested. By the way, its expensive, but i believe it is worth every penny.

In my opinion the race works really don't gain you much more protection over the original. Plastic is pretty tough. The key to protection is dispersing impact and gliding over objects versus getting caught. The chaincase protector has a rather squared off leading edge. Rotor side isn't as bad but could be improved. I'm working on something to supplement existing guards that will disperse impact and allow glide action up over object.

For simple clarification think of a ski. If leading edge of ski is formed at a 90 degree angle do you think it will glide over a log? The protectors on chaincase and rotor need to function the same as a ski.

I looked at a ton of different setups, then i talked with a guy from grip and rip racing about the skidplates they ran on their cats when they ran in cains quest. After hearing his recomendations, and seeing the abuse one of my riding buddies has put on one, i deciding to go with the rpm composite carbon fiber skid plate.
In my opinion,It is hands down the best protection you can get. but, if you think removing the cheap plastic yamaha skidplate is a pain you will absolutely hate this skidplate. It is much more work than the plastic yamaha plate
If you search my posts you can find more info if you are interested. By the way, its expensive, but i believe it is worth every penny.

Yikes - $650

Back