• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cheap Rollover Check Valve

Ruggybuggy said:
Ulmer Racing wants $3,000 bucks for that motor.

Wow! Must not want to sell it too bad.

It must either be a rebuilt or modified at that price. I bought a whole wrecked sled with a good motor for less than half of that.

Mooseman said:
It must either be a rebuilt or modified at that price. I bought a whole wrecked sled with a good motor for less than half of that.

You still have the motor? ;)!

3-UP said:
The Ulmer motor is brand new.

Sure but I can pick up a low mileage complete sled for just over $3,000 then part out the rest. These motors are know to be very reliable and will easily outlast the sled so if it's new or has 2,500 miles just doesn't make any difference.

Ruggybuggy said:
Mooseman said:

You still have the motor? ;)!

Yep, running very well in my son's FX that we rebuilt. It had wrecked the right a-arms and the front sub frame. Fixed 'er up with the parts from the first donor sled with the dead engine.

BTW, found an ad in Quebec for an engine for $1000, already sold. Waiting for a response for another one in the Montreal area.

Thanks for helping me out in the search for a motor. I would be more than willing to buy wrecked sled with a good motor.

I have to travel next week through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana next week to pick up a piece of equipment so any sleds in the above states are candidates.

Should mileage be a concern when buying one of these motors. If the engines can run over 1K should someone be concerned it one motor has 2,000 miles or 10,000 miles?

Just ask Pat the Rat. He sold his Phazer with something like 27 000 Km. As long as they're well maintained, I wouldn't worry. Even if it's out of the sled, you should be able to do a compression test if the starter is still attached.

About the only issue you need to watch for is on 07's the reduction gears failed on some. If sled has over 1000mi on it the reduction gear is good and will easily hit 12000 mi and counting like mine has. Runs like new yet. Even with a bad reduction gear if motor is out and metal didnt get everywhere is a real easy fix although those gears are expensive I bet. Look at the engine teardown thread is good pics of it. Will keep an eye out for you also.

Thanks cannondale, I checked out your thread on the tear down and thought it was a pretty interesting how the engine was designed. I'll have the pleasure of checking this out myself and will document the damage that happens when the engine runs out of oil. One thing that I don't like about this motor is the way the two bottom oil hoses are only held on by spring clamps. I actually was able to grab one of the hoses and pull it off by hand without even removing the clamp.

Ruggybuggy said:
Just thinking, what killed the first Phazer motor?

Here's the story. Bought this "fixer upper" from a local Yamaha dealer. It was brought in by a customer who apparently severely overheated it (how? I don't know since it's supposed to shut off but I did see a repair on the tunnel cooler and the track had studs). It overheated so much that I found some melted plastic parts. Customer brings a complete head and says that's all it needs to be replaced to fix the low compression. Dealer installs the head, compression is still low. Customer refuses to pay so he just gives the sled to the dealer.

I did a compression test, 60 PSI and 30 PSI. Did a leakdown test and one cylinder had bad rings and the other bad rings and leaking exhaust valves. This sled was in overall poor condition with loose steering way beyond the normal Yamaslop, thrashed track, worn through slides, blown out balljoints with the a-arms grinding into the spindles, tunnel ripped up by studs, flat spotted upper idlers and broken hi/low beam switch. This sled had a miserable life #$%&*

Back