• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Check your Secondary offset on all SW's

NOS-PRO

"The Burnman"
Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder, SR Viper XTX, SR Viper XTX, 2016 Apex XTX and Pro-Line Pro Stock 1000
Because of the latest belt blowing issues.....it seems like the ones that are blowing belts do not have the washer or shim behind the secondary.

This offset is important for belt alignment, without the washer, it's putting too much pressure and heat on the fixed sheave.

The dimension for the correct offset is 58.1mm -61.1mm.

f97f298ce08e8e26e130a890e47a1fbb.jpg

Mines 60.3 mm with no shim from the inside of the drive to the outside of the driven ..With the shim i'm 61.3 mm

No not the problem no shim here from day one and turned up to 255 hp and over 500 miles clutches are just warm and still clean.

we all want to find a solution to the blown belts and we have this awesome community here willing to help so if everybody(more importantly with a blown belt) could check their secondary spring for signs of binding we can figure this out with process of elimination. And NOS this is in no way an effort to undermine your thread! Your help here is Greatly appreciated by yours truly.

One of the first things that I checked when I brought my LTX-LE home was the clutch offset. I was surprised to see that there was no shim behind the secondary for offset. Once I checked the offset using the recommended method in the owners manual I found that my offset was exactly 60.0mm or exactly right in the middle of the recommended specification between 58.1-61.1mm.

It's surprising to read that some SW's are being delivered with a shim behind the secondary clutch and some are not. I find it very unfortunate that in the manual there is no mention if there is supposed to be one there or not. There seems to be a lack of consistency in what's being delivered on the sled.

To my knowledge there is still no factory clutch specs regarding optional tuning parts (springs, weights, helix's, etc) for our SW's. What's up with that Yamaha :dunno:

Just a heads up.....for anyone who wants to order either the 1mm offset shim (#8JP-RA448) or the 2mm offset shim (#8JP-RA449) I found out recently from my dealer that the 2mm shim is on BO from Yamaha until sometime next month but the 1mm shim is currently available.

One of the first things that I checked when I brought my LTX-LE home was the clutch offset. I was surprised to see that there was no shim behind the secondary for offset. Once I checked the offset using the recommended method in the owners manual I found that my offset was exactly 60.0mm or exactly right in the middle of the recommended specification between 58.1-61.1mm.

It's surprising to read that some SW's are being delivered with a shim behind the secondary clutch and some are not. I find it very unfortunate that in the manual there is no mention if there is supposed to be one there or not. There seems to be a lack of consistency in what's being delivered on the sled.

To my knowledge there is still no factory clutch specs regarding optional tuning parts (springs, weights, helix's, etc) for our SW's. What's up with that Yamaha :dunno:

Just a heads up.....for anyone who wants to order either the 1mm offset shim (#8JP-RA448) or the 2mm offset shim (#8JP-RA449) I found out recently from my dealer that the 2mm shim is on BO from Yamaha until sometime next month but the 1mm shim is currently available.
Interesting, thanks for the update on your end and about your sled at delivery

Removed my secondary today.....found no shims installed at factory. I was immediately concerned but I checked the offset and it is right in the middle of the specified tolerance. No evidence of binding but marginal roller contact on helix on 2 of the ramps.

ordered 1 each from babbits on the phone yesterday, shims are on the way, already left MI per tracking, get em maybe tomorrow or saturday. rode about 20 miles earlier, pulled over to check adjustment, first real ride with adjuster kit, top of nub even at top of sheave, secondary warmer than primary. could keep hand on but twice as warm. didn't check again when i got back home.

Back