• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch service/cleaning advice

sethryder

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
07 phazer fx
Hey Guys,
07 phazer fx with aprox 3400 miles. I wanted to go through my clutches this preseason. Question is: With my current milage, would blowing the primary out with compressed air and cleaning it with soap and hot water be enough or should I bring it to the dealer(don't have clutch tools) because it likely needs new bushings etc?
I figured I could go through the secondary on my own and replace buttons etc if necc at this milage?

thanks for all suggestions and advice!

I've got over 10,000 km on my primary with the original bushing. The secondary probably needs cleaning.

Probably just clean and buttons, buttons are always wore more when apart than they look when secondary is together.
Don't buy the cheap one's on eBay (soft as cheese) only last few hundred miles.

Our primaries have no buttons. I have yet to see a primary wear out or fail. Mine has 14k km, never opened.

thanks guys, thats what I was hoping to hear! Anyone recommend a quality puller so I can remove primary for cleaning?

Ok cool. What technique are you guys using to clean the primary on the machine? Blow it out with compressed air, scotchbrite sheave faces, spray with hot soapy water and rinse?

I have only ever used an air compressor to blow out dust on Yamaha primaries since like 1996. Never replaced anything, ever. Great clutches!

Phazer stock secondary is a POS and needs lots of cleaning. Get all the grease out, POLISH the helix outer surfaces and ramps to a mirror shine with metal polish (I use mothers). Lightly but thoroughly scuff the inner sheaves of the secondary with scotch brite pads. You want it clean, NOT polished and slippery if that makes sense.

A smooth secondary makes a HUGE difference in performance if you ask me.

2007, stock spring, primary cleaned, and the engagement is all or nothing, trying to smooth it out so my daughter can control it better. Any suggestions?

Seems to me it was over 3200, but I'll look again. I took a short video with the belt off. There is little to no movement of the primary and then it abruptly engages, causing the rider an immediate jerky surge. How do I check the secondary preload?. The belt position sits up out of the secondary a couple mm. So the position appears correct. The deceleration feels ok. I still have the video.

Back