• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching on the cheap

Joe ltx-le

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx-dx
I thought it might be good to check in on the guys using there stock setups with a few changes.

over the last few weeks I've been trying a few inexpensive clutching tricks. I am by far no expert but this is my findings so far.
6-1 secondary Spring setting seems to give good belt grip and back
Shift feels good.
I've put a 1/16 shim under the the helix to prevent spring bind. So far with 800 miles on the shims I can say the springs look good and I can't feel any bind top end.
I've also been running the 8dn belt for 800 miles. The belt runs cool but there is still a lot of belt dust.
-Cat rollers look good after 2000 miles.

I really feel like the clutching could be a lot better and I'm pretty sure the big clutch company's already have some real good stuff.

I'm just cheap after buying a new sled.

Yamaha already put the clutching on the cheap in my sled....
I am hoping they come out with an update for the clutches.
On my forth belt now. 1300 miles.
Not a happy sidewinder owner.
Also I only get 9.5 miles per gallon with it.

You riding in fresh snow a lot?

These chassis have always been known to chew power (and fuel ) pushing snow. Before the winder. My viper could be a pig. That being said I find the winder better on fuel.

I'm assuming you've checked the offset? What did you get?

Xtx 137 LE 1.75
I ride the trails here in the UP.
Offset is good. Secondary shimmed and running 70 degrees of wrap.

Blew my third belt last weekend. Have not tried the 8dn belt yet. I don't want to groove up my clutch faces.
I went thru 3 primary clutches and two secondary clutches on my Nytro with the 8dn.

That sucks man. I have 2000 miles on my sled without blowing a belt. Hard trail riding and many long pulls. Usually change them every 800-1000 miles.

sounds like you have trouble with clutching on all your sleds?

New primary every 6000 miles isn't good. Something is off

Two of the primaries on my Nytro broke the spider and one the faces grooved bad.
On that sled my belts would last 2200 miles.

Two of the primaries on my Nytro broke the spider and one the faces grooved bad.
On that sled my belts would last 2200 miles.
In 1nc's defense 8DN is known to groove clutch faces. Have seen it many times. Just wears them down in area you are in most of time. That's why I have said to try running stock 8JP but if it doesn't work move on. Is other alternatives to the 8DN that cost more but do not wear the clutch faces.

1nc, I almost guarantee that your secondary spring is coil binding. I had the same issue, even machined my clutch to relieve the coil bind, but that still wasn't enough. I am currently testing other secondary springs. So far the Hauck Red seems to work well. Haven't blown a belt since changing springs.

1nc, I almost guarantee that your secondary spring is coil binding. I had the same issue, even machined my clutch to relieve the coil bind, but that still wasn't enough. I am currently testing other secondary springs. So far the Hauck Red seems to work well. Haven't blown a belt since changing springs.
Wow. That's interesting that machining didn't work either. Keep us posted on how your spring works out

coil binding will not blew belt at 60mph.i always blew belt at that speed in hard accelerations after letting off throttle.I was told by yami service manager that I ride too agressive...:die:die:die

Back