• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching question

DMCTurbo

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder XTX LE 137
What's this telling me?

Attachments

• IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 200

Your slipping like "greased lightening".. And the crazy part is it looks to me that your slipping the whole shift out.. What belt? Stock sled? Studs? and mods to clutching?

Your slipping like "greased lightening".. And the crazy part is it looks to me that your slipping the whole shift out.. What belt? Stock sled? Studs? and mods to clutching?
Stock 8JP with 650 miles on it, Ulmer clutch kit, 1.75 track, no studs, stock ECU, stock exhaust.

Your secondary could be binding? Check secondary spring and rollers.. You could have flat rollers? .. I would say something in your secondary is causing it.. Or you need more squeeze from your primary clutch.. The stock primary weights have shown to slip belt.. As they do not "squeeze " as well as some aftermarket weights. Your secondary is et at 3/3 ? or 6/1 ?

Last edited:
Your secondary could be binding? Check secondary spring and rollers.. You could have flat rollers? .. I would say something in your secondary is causing it.. Or you need more GRIP from your primary clutch.. The stock primary weights have shown to slip belt.. As they do not "GRAB" as well as some aftermarket weights. Your secondary is et at 3/3 ? or 6/1 ?
Sorry forgot to add I have CAT rollers, stock helix and at 3-3.

fwiw a 1.75" track is big load...and gearing down further is a benefit..especially if off trail often

How do you get more grip from the primary clutch ?

Your secondary could be binding? Check secondary spring and rollers.. You could have flat rollers? .. I would say something in your secondary is causing it.. Or you need more GRIP from your primary clutch.. The stock primary weights have shown to slip belt.. As they do not "GRAB" as well as some aftermarket weights. Your secondary is et at 3/3 ? or 6/1 ?

I was referring more to the flatter profile weights(stock). Compared to the aggressive/banana shaped weights... The posters 1.75 track is maybe causing some issues for sure also

You MIGHT(rpm's is factor) add more weight(certain areas) to a adjustable set if you see black marks in certain areas on clutch surface. BUT > This guy is slipping all over the place IMO..

If the belt was slipping that bad you'd have way more belt dust on the clutch and engine IMO. I think the flash of the camera is making it look worse than it is. It appears the clutch moveable sheave (what you can see in the picture) is clean as well as the motor. If it was slipping that'd all be covered in belt dust.

When was the last time you cleaned your clutches? Also, do you have any oily residue dripping down from the clutch cover and onto the primary via an oiled filter)?

I'd clean everything up (if you haven't done this previously since new) with a rag and acetone on your faces, and keep a close eye on this moving forward (at least you'd have a good reference point, as there are so many variables as to why this could be happening)....I'd also clean up the belt (if you're going to continue running it on clean clutches)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back