• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Comes out of gear-slips

butches

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 X-TX-SE MPI Turbo 180
2017 L-TX-LE Sidewinder
Hurricane Tuned 225/240/270
Thunder Clutching
12,000 miles as of 2/8/2022
Help twice yesterday 2015 Viper felt like a blown belt would rev and not move but belt ok turned of restarted all was fine then it did it again 20 miles later, sounded like slightly grinding gears then I put it in reverse then it was fine

2,200 miles previously no issues it did get a new engine but pretty sure that wouldn't be taken apart for that repair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Help twice yesterday 2015 Viper felt like a blown belt would rev and not move but belt ok turned of restarted all was fine then it did it again 20 miles later, sounded like slightly grinding gears then I put it in reverse then it was fine

2,200 miles previously no issues it did get a new engine but pretty sure that wouldn't be taken apart for that repair

About all you can do is try testing the actuator. Has chaincase been apart yet? Does it have the detent update? Should being a 15.

Sure sounds like it (actuator) has lost home. Take a good look at the detent. It should be in the notch on the gold colored extension when in forward. I suspect dirty magnet inside chaincase but it could be anything in there. Also maybe try disconnecting battery to reset everything.

Yes has detent and when I took it apart the detent was shifted to the right about 2 mm now I centered it so we will see thx guys

I'll tell you the problem, if you got a new engine they took the chain case apart and you need to put it in reverse and back into forward a bunch of times so the servo learns the correct position.
Did it to me when I swapped my track early this season.

I'll tell you the problem, if you got a new engine they took the chain case apart and you need to put it in reverse and back into forward a bunch of times so the servo learns the correct position.
Did it to me when I swapped my track early this season.
That could be but why would they touch chaincase to remove motor and if they did they should have known to go back and forth at least 3 times. Its a odd issue and not normal.

I just put 60 miles on all ok
2eede8d0ab23b3bea77e1c0cf486bfb4.jpg

I don't have any answers but Had mine jump out of gear with slight grinding noise so i let off on throttle it reengaged and has not done it again in 100 miles. My reverse actuator was changed about 100 to 150 miles prior to it jumping out of gear. Detent update has been done. Chain case has never been apart. 2500 miles on it.

I will be watching this post for possible causes and thing to check out.

Hope it nothing serious.

Mine just started doing this. 4600kms on sled. I would put into reverse, nothing would happen. Alarm & R icon were on but wouldn't go into reverse. No grinding noise though. Cycled it a few times and then it worked. This had happened 2-3 times now. It definitely wasn't engaging. Normally I feel a little clunk at my foot when it engages into reverse or forward. But it never did on those occasions. Chaincase has never been apart. I can't wait to give this sled some TLC soon. One more ride and I'm done for the year, my sled needs some love!

The reputation of this system is terrible but mostly because of the early cats. 2012/13 in those if it ever made a grinding noise it was all over. 99.9% of time. The gears back then were just garbage and once it ground the gears would be damaged leading to more issues. Now what I see is gears that are able to take a bit of a grind and not being perfectly aligned. That said I will still be replacing that top gear bushing every season along with a very careful exam of everything else. Things have really looked good though every year other than that bushing. CooperT's TLC suggestion is a good one but its basically a sound system in my opinion.

Because the reverse actuator is controlled by two mechanical relays and there have been several reports of the engine control relays freezing up I would suspect at some point these reverse issues will also be relay related.

Because the reverse actuator is controlled by two mechanical relays and there have been several reports of the engine control relays freezing up I would suspect at some point these reverse issues will also be relay related.
Yes true for sure. How is that Solid State adapter coming? Still riding here if you need testers.

The times this has happened to me (because I keep my sled in the trailer) it has been really cold. And I think all the condensation being built up in the trailer didn't help much...and that was actually my first thought...it must be frozen

Happened to me once after I wiped out and flipped it lol. Turned it off, restarted and a ok

Back