• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

considering a Phazer (or 2) for riding in the midwest

Iammoresnow

Shhhh. Current long time Pol. rider! Always have been on 2 stroke 600 class sleds for trail riding here in the upper midwest (keeping my pair of 600 RMK's for out west). Getting the itch to have a couple Phazers for myself and the wife. I need advice. We are early forties and getting beyond the ricky racer age! We are into back packing a bit now and I like the mileage of a 4 stroke. Will we be happy after years of riding 600 Pol.'s? Wish we had some snow so I could go try one. Really tired of the 2 stroke world... Not overly brand loyal as I've had Pol., Cat, Doo, Yammy in the past. Thanks, Troy

Where do you ride in Iowa? I am in Waverly. Thanks for the info. Sounds like a touch of white stuff heading our way. Finally...

The one thing that may be lacking for you is the storage on the Phazers. If you are planning on doing some backpacking there are a few options for storage including the tunnel back, rear seat bag, and two different handlebar bags. The mileage is great. I usually see 16-18mpg but others have gotten up to 20. Depends on how you're riding.

FarbeyondDriven and I do our Iowa riding around the Cresco area. Driftrunners Club trails. If you are ever up in the area to ride, send me a pm and I can show you around.

i would only buy a 07 if yo udont mind working on it yourself.

lots of little things on the frist year that could cost alot to fix if you dont work on it yourself. IMO

i just had to put a 3$ grommet in my chain case, but i bet it would of cost a few more $$ if i had to drop it off at a dealer.

Thanks for the advice. Seems as if the 07's were a bit troublesome. I'am not worried about spinning a wrench on sleds. I get into plenty of that each winter. The whole chassis/powertrain design would be new challenge for sure. I understand these have a fuel injection system that does not compensate for temp/altitude? Seems odd? Whats the point. One of my favorite perks on my 06 Xfires when I had them.

Iammoresnow said:
Thanks for the advice. Seems as if the 07's were a bit troublesome. I'am not worried about spinning a wrench on sleds. I get into plenty of that each winter. The whole chassis/powertrain design would be new challenge for sure. I understand these have a fuel injection system that does not compensate for temp/altitude? Seems odd? Whats the point. One of my favorite perks on my 06 Xfires when I had them.

im not too sure about that, the only EFI problem i know about if the 07's look for oil pressure before they send spark or fuel. So they take way too many cranks to start. can be fixed with a 200$ ecu upgrade.

the 07 can be had for cheap, but they might need some work.

Don't believe I'd be afraid of a 07 by any means. As a matter of fact I've located one nearby at $3600. The EFI topic I referred to applies to more than the 07. Info I got from another thread here. I have no idea if it's true or not? I'd like to know.

I have an 07 GT for my wife. After all the Yami updates including the cooling fan, we have had zero problems.

One of these days I will close off the tunnel, the wet boots get old!

If the phazer had a wider back portion of the seat, I'd ride it much more. I can't do more than 100 mile on it before my a$$ get's sore. The narrow seat is fine for my wife, she likes it that way.

EFI compensates for Altitude,Temp,Throttle position,RPM,Manifold Pressure,Knocking,Speed,Oil pressure,voltage and starting.It does not "know" the mixture coming out exhaust (O2 sensor) or amount of air going in(mass airflow sensor).So it is not as compensating as your car.But close enough.

cannondale27 said:
EFI compensates for Altitude,Temp,Throttle position,RPM,Manifold Pressure,Knocking,Speed,Oil pressure,voltage and starting.It does not "know" the mixture coming out exhaust (O2 sensor) or amount of air going in(mass airflow sensor).So it is not as compensating as your car.But close enough.

You can run a car on a MAP or MAS sensor, some have one of each but its not needed. lots of dodge and hondas only have MAP

o2 sensor would be kinda nice then it could adjust the tune if it was lean or rich.. or warn you is something was wrong

Don't fear an 07 but imo be ready to upgrade a few things no matter what year you buy. First replace the stock skis, push in the corners and too narrow don't float in powder at all...junk. usi spx, c&a adx, trx, razor, didn't like the sport or ad model of c&a(no floatation), sly dog trail are all good. Next replace the one inch stock track with a free ride 121 or add 128 rail extentions and a fire cat sno pro track. The difference in traction and performance is night and day. Example when I bought my phazer stock I trail rode it and couldn't beleive the track spin. I then put 96 studs in it and went on a trail ride with my uncle who had a 07 phazer with the free ride track he absolutely blew me away off the line and everything else. The biggest thing though was we rode the same soft groomed trails for 300 miles according to his odometer and tripmeter, mine read 306 yep 6 miles of track spin(that was my last day of stock track). We both have roughly 2900 trouble free miles. I came off an 05 iqr with a 600 ves in it, and was instantly addicted to the low end torque, fun factor, gas mileage and tangible mods you can do to the phazer. They are a blast to ride and imo need to be modded to get the most from them. My .02

I'm in the same opinion as the rest.

The phazer is an addiction and I think it has to do with the flickable nature of this sled along with the amazing torque. You will be dissapointed if you run lakes or long straight trails above 80mph.

This is a corner to corner ski-lifter that barks when you give it the gas! It does take rider input, so don't expect to sit still while riding. In fact, I love standing on this thing while in the ditches. It's as close to riding a dirt bike or quad as anything. In deep snow, I ride it like a waverunner!

On the flipside, if I was doing more touring and seat time, I may lean towards a Vector or Apex. They aren't the best ditch sleds, but meant for miles with the same 4-stroke torque.

Most '07s have had all updates done if your buying one from somebody who takes care of their stuff- that's what I look for. Buy junk it costs you more in the long run.
Paid a bit more for mine but it was already set up right and dealer serviced...
Had a starter crap out but no other issues on the '07 FX

Well. Better late than never! Picked up a 09 RTX with 1100 miles a few days ago. Has not run in 2 years. Would not fire up on a new battery for the former owner this year. Sold it to me at a reduced price. Heading to the garage to look it over now. First real inspection. Hoping it ends up being something simple. Will have a look at the starter relay/solenoid. Fuses. Possible connecter corrosion. Change out the fuel (smells fresh). General looking over. Feel free to speak up on things I should look into. Thanks.

Back