• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Coverting my 121" to full mountain sled

DigitalFusion

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 Viper LTX, 10 Turbo Phazer MTX, 08 Phazer, 88 SnoScoot
My phazer currently has a 121" rear skid out of a Polaris IQ 440. I'm looking to turn this machine into a full mountain sled with long track and boost.

Since I would have to replace the skid anyways, what are my options? A mtx skid with setback and 151" track cut down? It would seem timbersled is no longer making snowmobile suspensions, and ezride is a bit too much $$$ for my tastes.

Are there any other options out there?

Too bad you don't have the original 121" because the usual way is to extend the rails. Also depends on what was modified to make the IQ suspension work in your sled.

Yeah, the stock skid is long gone. EZRyde is the only option for an aftermarket skid? If thats the case, looks like I'll be going with a stock MTX skid w/setback.

BTW - Nothing was modified to make the IQ skid work, the 440's has 14" wide rear suspension in the mid 2000's.

Try posting in the mountain section. There are a lot of guys who have stretched the MTX beyond the stock 144 skid, and the majority who've done it say it makes the Phazer a very capable powder sled. Here's one thread I found to get you started: http://ty4stroke.com/threads/oft-to-the-mountain-its-a-153-phizzer-stretch.74781/ If you're going to add boost, be sure to read up on the limitations with the motor. It can be done, but it has to be done right. Just sayin'.

Are you gonna narrow the front suspension and remove the sway bar too?

I'll try that, the mtx section seems like a ghost town tho.

I busted my right wrist last week so my season is over, all i have been doing is reading and researching this idea. I realize the 12:1 CR of this motor isnt the best for FI, but I am either going to rebuild with lower CR, use headshim, or go with low boost.

IDK if I am going to narrow the front or not, still on the fence about that one. The phazer is so nimble as it is. However, I will be pulling the schmidt bros sway bar, custom axis shocks, and the IQ skid off and selling them.

man, the more and more i look into, seems like I would be better off either completely parting mine out or selling it an buying one that already has a turbo and going from there.

Yep, there's a lot that can go wrong when boosting the Phazer motor. Most of the ones that seem to hold up have a head shim. If you're gonna down that road, might as well beef up the internals ... which only adds more money. The gains are comparatively small for the dollars you'll have in it. I have never seen anyone do it, but I would think if it's possible, a NA Nytro engine stuffed in between the Phazer bulkhead would probably be comparable in terms of cost and power, but you'd have something far more reliable in the end.

its not what can go wrong, its the $.

part mine out completely, except for motor. Use that $ to buy a phazer mtx that already has a turbo, set the skid back and pick up a challenger track, build extra engine for boost and then swap.

Yep, there's a lot that can go wrong when boosting the Phazer motor. Most of the ones that seem to hold up have a head shim. If you're gonna down that road, might as well beef up the internals ... which only adds more money. The gains are comparatively small for the dollars you'll have in it. I have never seen anyone do it, but I would think if it's possible, a NA Nytro engine stuffed in between the Phazer bulkhead would probably be comparable in terms of cost and power, but you'd have something far more reliable in the end.

I do not agree. At all. Run with head shim and boost around 0,8-0,9 (sea level) and high octane pump gas and you'll be fine. Gives you about 140 hp. I have a modified old MCX-kit and broadband lambda. Season four coming up, no problem at all. Runs perfect. Phazer engine is a gem and takes the abuse easily. If you want bigger hp, buy a boosted Nytro. Cheaper and a lot faster. But, in my opinion, not as fun.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I have a 2007 motor all shimmed ready to go for sale.
DSC05646.JPG
DSC05647.JPG

Back