• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cross country track

karlburns

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 apex xtx
2010 vector ltx gt
So I found a smoking deal on a brand new 144 x 1.5 camoplast cross country track on Craigslist. Such a great deal I bought it figuring that if I couldn't make it work I could easily get my money out of it.

It's an old style every third window closed track. I've read many threads on here of people cutting the window themselves, some clipping, others not. I'm thinking of putting it on an 2011 xtx but am I crazy to do the work for that track? My original plan was to put a backcountry on it next summer.

Last edited:

i had a challenger on my viper years ago with every 3 rd window closed, it had small bolts ( for lack of a better word) that had a flat large head and were installed on closed windows, nuts tward snow, be alit easier than cutting!!

We're the old vipers extrovert drivers? Never owned one.

What he's describing were sold by SLP and I believe they were called slide pads.I have them on a Ripsaw in my 01 Venture. Really helped with slide wear by reducing friction . You just have to watch them for wear like you would the slides. I've got a LOT of miles on the Crosscountry track. Absolutely my personal favorite.

no extros, ya u need to cut if u have em, wasent even thinking of that!!

Anyone have any tricks to doing that? I read to use a drill but grind the teeth off. Then others saying to use a razor. Some saying you have to clip the windows, others saying not necessarily.

Also has anyone ran one of these on a heavy apex? Curious if it's a better track then the ripsaw.

Spray WD40 on the track window, use a skive knife and they will cut out like cutting warm butter. Anything is better than the original Ripsaw. That track should work pretty good. Had one on my SXR that I liked.

What about clips?

Also I've read people saying to use a small drill bit for the four corners then squaring? Yay nay?

I installed clips. It's not that hard. Bring your sled here I'll give you a hand. LOL. I just cut mine with a knife and had no problems.

I'll meet you half way in Dawson. lol. Can they be installed w/o buying a clip tool or is that really the only option? I don't want to be piling the track to fix it in 3 months but also don't want to buy a tool I'll use maybe one other time in my life.

I ran the SLP slippery pads on my apex and they truly do work well! Was having some not so good hyfax wear so I tried them and I now get 5-6000 miles (easy)on a set of hyfax . Good product.

I run the cross over 1.5 on my 290 mcx apex xtx. I love the track all round good performance

If it was a cross over I'd definitely do the work, however, this is an old school cross country. They called it a 1.5" but it's definitely more of a 1.35 lug.

I'm thinking of just selling this track plus my stock ripsaw and buying a back country.

So I found another absolute steal on the cross over. Found a brand new one for under $400 which in AK is INSANE!!!!!

How well does it perform in powder? If you could have a do over would you stick with cross over or go with a back country?

Back