• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Decision is Made on New Sled

DennyTuna

RIP-Logan-Dylan-Never forgotten!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 Winder LTX 50th
16 SR Viper RTX (red)
02 SX Viper ER (red)
97 SX Vmax 600 (red)
I'm going to snow check the Sidewinder. I was able to make it to the demo ride but did not get to ride one. On Saturday we rolled into the demo ride site around 1:00 pm, they were full for the remainder of the day. So we registered to come back on Sunday, got our wrist bands, we were set. Sunday comes we roll into the site around noon only to see the truck and trailer pulling out just as we arrive. We laughed and went on our way, just my luck. Found out later that Sunday was only 9-11. Funny thing was I got an email from Yamaha thanking me for demoing the new Sidewinder. Not all was lost as my brother has a 16 viper (137) and his son has a 14 viper (129) and I got to spend time on both. Now that the decision to snow check the winder has been made I'm agonizing on which track length to go with, 129 vs. 137. Being older my riding group prefers to ride mostly weekdays, less traffic and better trails. I think the 129 will do just fine, but being older and slowing down some the 137 has its place. I guess for me I'm looking for the best handling option, easy steering option and a big windshield!

Bummer you didn't get to do the Demo ride. I was in the last group of the day on Saturday. The Sidewinder is an awesome ride! I would go with the (137) in a heart beat over the (129). The shortest Sidewinder at the demo ride was the (137) and it was easy to overpower the track at times with all the Hp. So I cant imagine riding the (129) which I am sure would be worse. I like longer tracks for the ride and off trail handling anyways. However in the case of the Sidewinder I would go with the longer track for all the reasons I just mentioned plus with the killer Hp. G.B.

137 no doubt and I did get to ride a few in MUNI, and the SW was the most REFINED sled I have ever been on. I mean the NVH engineers(Noise, Vibration, Harshness) have worked a marvel. Three words SMOOTH, QUIET, FAST. Totally smoother quieter and of course faster than my VIPER, did not even feel like the same chassis. I have nothing against the 129 just why shorter with most HP of any Yamaha ever and the longer tracks ride and HANDLE so well. My 2 Cents.

My goal now is to make my Viper feel more like the SW.....with out the power. Sad I know.

I'm going to snow check the Sidewinder. I was able to make it to the demo ride but did not get to ride one. On Saturday we rolled into the demo ride site around 1:00 pm, they were full for the remainder of the day. So we registered to come back on Sunday, got our wrist bands, we were set. Sunday comes we roll into the site around noon only to see the truck and trailer pulling out just as we arrive. We laughed and went on our way, just my luck. Found out later that Sunday was only 9-11. Funny thing was I got an email from Yamaha thanking me for demoing the new Sidewinder. Not all was lost as my brother has a 16 viper (137) and his son has a 14 viper (129) and I got to spend time on both. Now that the decision to snow check the winder has been made I'm agonizing on which track length to go with, 129 vs. 137. Being older my riding group prefers to ride mostly weekdays, less traffic and better trails. I think the 129 will do just fine, but being older and slowing down some the 137 has its place. I guess for me I'm looking for the best handling option, easy steering option and a big windshield!
stx dx comes with the tallest windshield option, medium height, heated seat and storage, and is geared the same as the other trail sleds. according to a sled magazine review and my personal experience, it's a couch with a turbo. mine came with a 1.6" track, they may have dropped that. i installed the pilot 6.9 skis, 40l trunk, and gave it a performance boost. sled is incredible. i don't have a heavy steering issue. floats in the deep powder. this is not their best shock package by far, but valved for comfort and they seem to work very well for me. it goes wherever i point it and it rides like a luxury car. the new black is sick looking. best wishes on your choice.

Last edited:
I actually went with the 129 as it heard it transferred better than the 137. Plus it was about $500 cheaper. I've never driven the 137 but find the 129 does transfer quite well. Someone actually made comment hat because of the better transfer it hooked up equally as well as the 137.

stx dx comes with the tallest windshield option, medium height, heated seat and storage, and is geared the same as the other trail sleds. according to a sled magazine review and my personal experience, it's a couch with a turbo. mine came with a 1.6' track, they may have dropped that. i installed the pilot 6.9 skis, 40l trunk, and gave it a performance boost. sled is incredible. i don't have a heavy steering issue. floats in the deep powder. this is not their best shock package by far, but valved for comfort and they seem to work very well for me. it goes wherever i point it and it rides like a luxury car. the new black is sick looking. best wishes on your choice.
I'm having the heavy steering issue. Sounds like pilots might be the answer.

there's a great thread on the pilot 6.9 install with pictures. thanks to rockerdan. i was playing in 4-8' deep drifted powder after installing and was amazed at how well they kept it floating. did whatever i wanted. find the sweet spot with your center shock too if you haven't. it didn't take much either way adjusting to change the handling. 129 should be a little rocket.

there's a great thread on the pilot 6.9 install with pictures. thanks to rockerdan. i was playing in 4-8' deep drifted powder after installing and was amazed at how well they kept it floating. did whatever i wanted. find the sweet spot with your center shock too if you haven't. it didn't take much either way adjusting to change the handling. 129 should be a little rocket.
Thanks for the info. Gonna play with my center shock this weekend. If that doesn't work I'll look at some new skis.

I had put the Pilots on my Attak and found they did not steer good in soft snow.. so I put the OEM ski's on with Woody's Duallys and that made it a great ride.. no darting and easy steering.

Put Slim Jims on the original Yamaha OEM skis and its even better. We will be doing the same on my sons 2016 Vector by removing the Tuner 2 skis and installing the OEM's with Slim Jims. Absolutely no darting and with silky smooth performance.

Back