• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do you carry Insurance?

Do you have Insurance?

• I carry full coverage to protect me, my stuff, and just in case it's my fault

Votes: 97 85.1%
  • I carry liability only, just in case

Votes: 15 13.2%
  • I don't have insurace, its too expensive or I don't believe in insurance

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I don't have insurance, it's every man for himself

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Muffin

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper RTX SE
I've met quite a few people now that don't carry insurance on their sleds. Just wondering if that's the norm?

I hope it's not the norm! I carry full insurance

I know no one who doesn't have it. I don't know how anyone could feel comfortable riding on the trails without insurance. One accident and you may lose all you own without it or find your future paychecks going to pay for it. Not good either way in my opinion.

I've met quite a few people now that don't carry insurance on their sleds. Just wondering if that's the norm?
The local snowmobile club has insurance that is included with membership.

Liability is the law in the State of South Dakota. I would imagine about every other State is the same. I have a new enough sled that I have full coverage on it. If you have any sort of loan against your sled the lender requires full coverage as well.

Definitely wouldn't be on the trails without coverage, all my sleds have full coverage.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't ride without it. Full coverage with the maximum liability available plus -- the most misunderstood benefit: Uninsured Motorist(UM). If you're injured by someone with no insurance, you can sue them for your injuries but if they have no insurance and no assets you're out. The UM benefit allows you to basically "sue" your own company and collect benefits for your injuries caused by the uninsured driver. Ask your agent about this.

Years ago, a guy my 21 year old son was riding with took off on a lake and had a very bad accident. My son was riding double and riding much slower and was no where near the accident scene when it happened. He was dragged into the lawsuit that was filed anyway. My insurance company paid out over $12,000 for attorney's fees/etc. just to get the case against my son dismissed. Yes, I believe in having insurance...

Last edited:
Yes, full coverage. In our province you also must have sled plates/registered for insurance to be valid.
The old trail pass is now included with the plates/registration.

I have full coverage on all sleds and everything I own except an old beater car I commute in, that I only have liability/underinsured/uninsured as it is only worth $1,500. Sleds are worth way more and at much higher risk of an accident every time you hop into the saddle.

I know some that dont carry it. Its a real shame and a hazard to have them on the trail. They hit you and then never come clean when its their fault.. its a real shame.

In NY you don't need it to register the sled, but get caught on the trail with no insurance card and expect a real hard time and a definite ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry full coverage. Years ago I use to ride with guy that didn't believe in having insurance, said it was to expensive. Of course my response to him was, what if you hit somebody or your sled takes off and nails another person. The medical bills alone could wipe you out financially, to which his reply was "I'm always being careful". Well OK then, "tell that to your wife if something bad happens and you end up loosing your house."
Eventually it finally sunk in and he started carrying liability insurance.

In PA it's a must have, unless you are on Private property. But I think there is probably a lot of riders that just don't bother.

If you don't carry insurance and you get into a wreck, even if it wasn't your fault, it could make you loose everything. Is it really worth the gamble of loosing everything you've worked so hard for when you could protect yourself for a small price per month? And on a TY Ride you better be insured, or you should probably stay home. That's all we need it to deal with that kind of BS because someone can't man up and own up to their responsibility.

Back