• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Done with Drag & Flys

upei93

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper X-TX LE MPI turbo
2009 Nytro XTX
My 09 Nytro with the below mods eats D&F's...I'm getting about a year and a 1/2 out of a set before they wear a grove in the top of the weights...going to try Turks stock setup ( 14.5 rollers and a straight 47deg helix wrapped to 70 deg)... The D&F's worked but getting sick of changing them out every 1000 miles. Any body running the 14.5 rollers with the 47 helix and stock weights with the same mods that I have?( pc3, k&n's, mid pipe ect) Am I going to have to drill out rivets or will stock be close? Just looking to set it and forget it. Thanks! (BTW I know I should have went with ulmer's stage one but with $$ spent and exchange rate that's not happening.)

Last edited:

The Yammi triples like to eat weights. They will flatten the stock weight also but it takes longer. I have gone through a few sets of Flys but have yet to find anything that works better, and I have tried quite a few. I might give a set to a friend of mine who does some blacksmithing to try and harden them.

The Yammi triples like to eat weights. They will flatten the stock weight also but it takes longer. I have gone through a few sets of Flys but have yet to find anything that works better, and I have tried quite a few. I might give a set to a friend of mine who does some blacksmithing to try and harden them.

Use caution trying to harden them, they will then shatter and fly out of the clutch through your hood, been there, tried that!

Do the 2 speeds wear like the D&F's ?

Use caution trying to harden them, they will then shatter and fly out of the clutch through your hood, been there, tried that!
You had a set of Flies shatter? Never seen that. Saw it with the early 2 piece weights. Did you harden them your self? I Might want to reconsider.

No, never tried dragon fly weights but if you get them too hard they will shatter. Anything harder than a 50 to 52 Rockwell C will shatter.

Changed to the above set up and waiting for enough snow to test...interesting to note that the third set of heelclickers were also worn.

I was told by Turk way back when to wrap secondary to 80. I run his setup. Works great

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I was told by Turk way back when to wrap secondary to 80. I run his setup. Works great

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
If I remember correctly I'm at 6 and 1...my rpm's are a little low but I got my top end back...hit mph that I haven't seen since I put my 1.5 track on...one day I may drill out the tips to bring up rpm or maybe not...for what it cost me I'm more then happy with the set up.

I have tried a different weight this year for durability concerns. They don't pull like the D&F's. I am going back to the flies and am going to figure out how to make them last. In the back of my mind I knew this was going to happen, it always does when I try another weight.

Going to have to load up the stock weights with the heaviest rivet you can in the tip or your rpms will be too high on the top end , should weigh in at about 63.5 grams. . But stock weights also get a slight wear mark after awhile from the roller.
Trying out a set of HAUCK's" VP Lites " this year , about 600 miles on them now and working great

it must be the triple engine. I have about 20000 miles on them in two different apexs
they are just starting to wear slightly
It is the triple four stroke---hard on weights.

Back