• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ECP filter setup (Flatlanders)

Ok so you guys are speeking about the pilot screws! Now them i am use to adjusting,although i have not made any yet on the rx1,on most 2-strokes pilot screws effect just off idle,and to some effect idle,is this where the problem is occuring people? Now the needles will effect the midrange alot,if you richen it up to much your milage should suffer greatly,at part throttle riding,around 45-60 miles per hour maybe even faster up to say 80 before you are mostly on main jet,now i have freddies kit on rx1 shorty and have only run it at 1,400 ft. in jackman maine temp about 35 degrees above zero at wfo runs 1 mile or more speedo reading 131 and plugs looked ok.

Beast, riding at 785' above sea level @ -15F. With 165s the plugs look lean. Gonna throw in 175s and adjust from there.

mnmsnowbeast, I did a lot of fooling around with the pilot screws and the needles both and I found that they both do a lot to help the throttle response when richened, especially when you are going about 50mph and let off the throttle and hit it again, before I messed with them there was a hesitation along with a slight lean pop before the power came on. This is at 1200' about 0 Deg. I did not notice this at 25 Deg. I beleive that if you are at 1400' and the temperature gets down below 10 Deg you will notice what I am talking about. I would suggest trying to righen out and see if it makes a difference. I have a hard time believing that my sled is the only one that does benefit greatly from this. I just don't think anyone else has tried it. And it did not affect my fuel mileage at all (16.46 mpg). Also, the more fuel I let it have the more power it had, like I said earlier I had to tighten my track twice in one day and all I was doing was giving the engine more fuel. Hey Mikie, He Likes It!! :p

I have to back up some of what Mr. buck says. In speaking with Barry Holtzman he indicated that the first thing anyone with the filters should do is to richen their pilot/air/fuel screws. A fellow out west who is running the run of the mill K&N filters is using a 22.5 pilots vs the stock 17.5 pilots and says it works great. I think if you can get enough adjustment out of turning the screws then you shouldn't need to go richer on the pilots but that would depend a lot on altitude and tempuratures.
This is perplexing to me. Barry also said to put my needles back into the stock postion. This is because with the stock airbox you are trying to suck all the air for the motor through the little inlet in the front of the airbox. This creates a huge amount of vacuum. Once you put on the filters the motor/carbs don't have to suck nearly as hard and the vacuum goes way down. This is the reason for the weaker slide springs and also his reasoning for not going richer on the needle. I don't fully understand the needle part of the equation. I mean there's more air, I would think you'd need more fuel? I richened my needle a notch and my mid range burble went away (for the most part) too. Maybe someone WAY smarter than me can explain this one. PB

All you ECP guys........... I have asked before but still can't find the answers, so forgive me if I missed it.
Where's the performance top end at?? Either pure radar or a baseline by the speedo (wish gauge)?? Anything, ie: sleds ahead of a stock RX-1, top-end in 1000' vs before?? Anything to help me understand why you're all spending $100's+ on filters.
I've seen tremendous gains in low and mid range with just heelclickers and a TEAM secondary. Top-end still at 130-132 speedo in 1 mile on any give day with a stock air box at 1450' elevation.
Help me here. I'm not being a critic, I just want to understand.
Better yet....... Freddie, send one of the boys up to OTIS RES. this weekend. RT 8 North into Mass. The lake has 8" of ice w/1" firm snow and is mint for drag racing.
I live right on the lake. Plenty of parking!
If you want to stay off TY contact me rufus521@cs.com
OTIS

Hey guy's, I hope I'm not butting in but I would like to know if I can run the cr10ek plugs with just my after market exhaust ! I have a 03 Black shorty with 450 miles on it and I would like to get a little better throttle response out of it. It's pretty good for stock but when coming off of a corner and whacking it, it kind of has a lag to it. Would the colder plugs help a little bit ? I am planning on doing the spring change also and need to know what ones you guys are recommending ? Thanks for all the help..

Yamanator............. the best bang for the $$ in my opinion for what your after is clutching. I not sure the plugs will do that much for you.

Welterracer......... seems like a lot of money and aggravation for mid-range. I wish someone could convince me that it's much better than what I've found with clutch work. At this point, if I can't get more top end why bother??
I can already run with stock t-cats, xcr800 until top end shift out. Then they're 2-3 MPH faster MAX on top. No problem all the way with stock zr-900.
Seems that if the filters were adding HP that you could throw more gear at it and find that extra top-end?!?!
Otis

Hey Otis I dont even have one of these kits yet but I am saving my pennies to get one. On the dyno sheets I have seen there is a minimal gain at the top of the RPM so your top speed will not increase by much. A couple of HP at top end doesnt make much more speed because of all the friction factors and aerodynamics and such. The improvment that I have seen is in the midrange. I am not positive on the numbers but I think at one point its like 18 HP. On an engine that was already very good and tweaked from the factory that is very good. I have had alot of motorcycle experience and you can spend 1000.00 on your motorcycle just to gain 10 HP on top between exhaust Power commmander some free mods etc. I will post what I discover when I get mine before clutching and after. Hopefully this will give you some more info. I am sure there are some calculations out there to figure in aerodynamic drag parasitiv loose due to track friction and so on. But a guess on my part would be you would need more than 15 hp on top end if you wanted to increase your top speed 5 MPH. That is just a guess though could be more but I doubt less.

Otis, give me a call. I am the one that all of ECPs dyno reports are from.
Would like to come out and play on the lake. Have not had sled out in
anything colder than 25 degrees, so i would like to see how it will react.
How long is your lake? I was still able to post 130 on speedo and I am
geared down one tooth on top 23/38 508-958-4347 Al

RB

RIDE BLUE........ The lake is 4 miles long total. In front of the house where we race is 1 mile +. It's smooth as glass with just the right amount for snow for lube and cooling. Ice is 8" thick.
Trying to set up races for this sunday with a group of seriouly die hard Yamaha guys. Mostly mod SRX's.
We haven't seen too many RX-1 but would love the company!
Mass pike to exit 2. Take rt 20 east 4 miles to rt 8 south. Go 5 miles to Otis center and pick up rt 23 east. 3 miles to J&D marina sign go right. Take second let on Pine Rd to 461. Direct lake access. Always a good time. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyone else want to get out and ride?
413-269-6120
I'll call you later today.
OTIS

O.K. lets clear things up!!!! There is no problem with the ECP kit , its that everyone want to mess with what freddie says... if you set it up like freddie tells you it works GREAT!!!

To make it all work together you must set up the clutch properly!!

Otis, I'm not sure you go any faster on the top end but I would almost bet you would reach your top speed faster with the boost in midrange power that this sled provides. It will be interesting to see how things turn out this weekend. Thanks for being the critic. It makes us all think harder about why and what we actually are gaining from this kit. PB

Back