• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EFI sled, carb'd motor, can o' worms - HELP NEEDED

Weber

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
07 Attak
97, 99, 00, 01 Cats
Hi All,
I couldn't find an intro thread so it's nice to meet everyone! I'm Weber and located in Central Oregon. I grew up on Yamaha's and ended up riding cats when I got my own sleds.
Great news though! I'm back to Yamaha if I can make this adventure work out!
I've been wanting to jump into the 4-stroke world and had been checking out a few used sleds on the ol' craigslist when a deal fell into my lap that I couldn't pass up!
It's a project and I need some wisdom as this is a bit a of new adventure with the electronics and whatnot.

I acquired an 07 Attak that the owner managed to blow the motor on. He was able to get a replacement from the forest service and was in the middle of installing when I ended up with the project.
The Attak came factory EFI (which I want to keep) but the motor he got to put in is a Carborated version. I have all of the electronics and some miscellaneous parts but not the 'blown' motor unfortunately.

Here is where I'm not finding a lot of info.

What did this motor come out of? It fits great but I can't find where this gen of sled came carb'd

The fuel delivery for carb vs. efi is different where it connects to the intake, is there a kit (adapter flange) to allow use of the EFI on the carb'd motor?

I have the wiring/computer for the carb'd motor, would it be easier to re-wire that in? I haven't dug to far into it yet but I didn't see where the carb'd version had the electrical for the battery and things...

Any help is appreciated,

Mods feel free to move if I'm in the wrong section
Thanks!

4 cylinder or 3 cylinder? If it's a 4, it would be an '03-05 RX-1. If a 3 cyl, then possibly an RS Vector ('03-'10?)

It is a 4 cylinder and the exhaust bolted right up and it mounted in the chassis perfectly...
Are there any numbers on the motor I could pull to verify?

Its not worth your time to swap in the RX1 motor, you need heads, tap the block for sensors, you need lots of EFI components like TPS, IACV, etc. The only hope is to leave it carbed and then you need a new wiring harness to match the carb motor and a display from a RX1. I can see what happened is he thought it was the same motor and could just swap it, they are so different its unreal. Your options are a complete EFI motor 2006-2010, or a complete carb motor 2003-2005. Complete means all wiring, gauges, sensors, hoses, etc. Trying to mix and match will not be easy, cheap, and may not even work when done unless you are a expert at the differences between each motor. I would look for a complete EFI motor and then its a easy swap. Good luck.

OY! That's what I was afraid of!
I believe I have all of the carb set up excluding the display (the motor is complete and already bolted in, wiring/ecu is in a box), I was disappointed he didn't have the blown EFI motor as that should have had the missing parts to change to EFI. (I'm still not complaining for $200 though)

Any suggestions on where to find a motor? Best I've found so far is $1800 for one with 8000 miles!

Are there certain models I should be looking for? (Apex/Attak/Etc?) looks like 2006-2010 EFI should be plug and play or I need to track down gauges and such for the carb'd motor I have?

This should be exciting!

Its not worth your time to swap in the RX1 motor, you need heads, tap the block for sensors, you need lots of EFI components like TPS, IACV, etc. The only hope is to leave it carbed and then you need a new wiring harness to match the carb motor and a display from a RX1. I can see what happened is he thought it was the same motor and could just swap it, they are so different its unreal. Your options are a complete EFI motor 2006-2010, or a complete carb motor 2003-2005. Complete means all wiring, gauges, sensors, hoses, etc. Trying to mix and match will not be easy, cheap, and may not even work when done unless you are a expert at the differences between each motor. I would look for a complete EFI motor and then its a easy swap. Good luck.
Great info. I knew someone would be able to help Weber out. You have definitely come to the right place! Good luck. Gotta say I much prefer the EFI. I have both and the carbureted gives me fits at times (first start of season and sensitivity with the choke.)

I happen to have a motor set up for boost with a head shim, the package for everything you need would probably be over your budget. The apex engine swap is popular on UTVs so many times you can see complete 'drop in packages' on ebay and that is what I would look for. Motor was the same in all models from 2006-2010. Do you have a list of EFI parts you have? Or take a picture of them in the shop and I can probably tell you what you need. Also take a picture of the engine bay, curious what the previous owner may have removed. What display do you have now? The apex or the carbed RX1 gauge?

I appreciate all the help and info everyone! Keep it coming!

I just unloaded it last night so I'll need to get organized and see what all I have, it came with a bunch of boxes of various odds and ends.
I have a complete Attak minus the EFI engine. All of the wiring/ecu/guages/etc are still tact in the sled, I still have the EFI throttle body and boots, I haven't dug to far into the parts boxes yet but know I've got a lot of miscellaneous parts (extra starter, water pump, oil pump, etc)
The carbed RX1 (assumed) is bolted into the sled with the carb rail and exhaust connected and that's where he stopped (most likely due to electrical) I do have the carbed ECU/harness in a box as well...

A guy couldn't just swap a newer EFI head onto the RX1 motor either I assume (that would be to easy)

I believe if I could find an EFI motor with sensors in tact I could drop in and go...

I'll try to get some pics up once I get organized...

Last edited:
I don't think you can efi the rx1 engine without a apex head. The efi bolts up differently than the carbs do. If you do go with the carb setup I have fuel pumps and the rx1 display.

Ken.........

Hi Ken,
I'll have a better idea what all I've got once I go through the boxes. I found an Apex head with valves for $300, I'm not sure what else I would need, I imagine there's some sensors and whatnot, I'm not sure if the Apex head would bolt up to the RX1 either.
I have the gas tanks from both sleds and I may have both fuel pumps as well. If I go carb'd I may need to take you up on that display, thanks for chiming in!
I'm hoping to have a chance this weekend to dig in and see what all I've got...

The effort and hassle of making your rx-1 motor efi is not worth it in my opinion. You'd be much better off selling the rx motor and just buying an apex motor. I have some good running apex motors here I can sell you. All my motors come from running sleds that I've personally heard run. I don't pick up random motors to resell.

If you proceed with carb option here are a few other issues to keep in mind. the fuel tanks are not interchangeable. You may have issues with carb'd airbox fit up as it was not designed to protrude through hood. EFI air box will not fit carbs as boot diameter is different. Gauge cluster mounting points from a carb'd cluster will not match up to the apex dash panel. You would need an 08 or 09 vector dash panel to for exact fit up.

Last edited:
And I agree! I'd prefer to stay efi for sure, I've just not had much luck finding anything but scary ebay motors...
Id be interested in seeing what you have to offer.
I'm pretty certain I've got everything except the motor...

I would try Travis at Barn of Parts. Maybe he would have some ideas or he would have a complete Motor. Possibly you could work a trade for all your parts in exchange for some $ off a used motor. Not sure what he would do but it's worth a shot .

I see Travis offered up some advice already. Good luck !!

Yeah I'll do some more looking when I'm back in the office tomorrow and once I've had a chance to dig through all the boxes...
I did get both fuel tanks too.
I look forward to this project and hopefully come out ahead.
I don't want to invest a fortune into this sled but I bought it cheap enough I have some room to work.
And maybe recoup some cash by selling the zx1 motor...
I can tell there's lots of knowledge here and I'm really glad I found y'all!

Back