• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine Cuts Out

I had this issue yesterday. A quick talk with my dealership's Service Manager reveals that two other sleds in my area had the same problem over the weekend. No codes, and I know it isn't the rev limiter, at least in my case.

I rode 210 miles yesterday:

0-56 miles were cross country, ditch banging, and 30-60 MPH trail riding. No issues on this segment; sled ran perfectly. Stopped for about 45 minutes, and then rode another 52 miles to our next stop on a mix of groomed/not groomed trail. I was riding with one other sled and we took turns leading. Sled was parked for about an hour before we came back out, fueled up, and then took off on our next leg.

About 5 minutes out from the gas station the trail was in pretty good shape, and I started to push the pace a bit. First handful of throttle and the sled fell on its face. Backed off and tried again - same thing. No codes, no change in headlight/gauge output. It felt exactly the same as hitting the kill switch for a second. I could make it do this at will, so I played around a bit trying to find exactly what I had to do to make it cut out. I could cruise a bit below 60 at part throttle and it would be fine. As soon as I transitioned from no/low boost it would cut. It didn't matter if I cracked the throttle wide open, or just rolled the throttle from say 1/4-1/2... sled would cut out. I could make it cut out starting at about 6800 rpm and never going past 8K rpm. After about 15 minutes of this the trail tightened up again, and then got really pounded out so I never tried it again before our next stop.

After stopping for a bout 1.5 hrs we geared up for the final leg home and the sled was back to normal.

I originally thought it was bad fuel, since the problem started immediately after a fuel stop. Since I also rode 60 miles (after the last stop) on this same tank of gas, I'm ruling fuel out. I don't know if this is the deto sensor kicking in, or some other protection in the ECU, but that's what it feels like. I'm going to cycle through the diagnostic mode tonight and see if there's anything in there, but I'm guessing not. It will go to the dealership later in the week and they're going to see if they can find anything with the diagnostic tool. If I had to guess, an intake sensor is icing up and not talking to the ECU correctly.
This is Exactly what happened to me over the weekend. Sled was running great, stopped for about 45 minutes and did exactly the same thing. Stopped again for about 30 minutes to let it cool down and ran it the rest of the weekend, about 120 more miles without an issue. Clean clutches, checked all hoses, 3/4 tank of gas, all stock.

One way to tell if you have a vent problem is to cycle your fuel pump once or twice then remove the gas cap. If the tank is pressurized you will hear the air escaping. This would indicate the tank is not breathing and there is a blogged vent line or the tank valve is faulty.

I don't know how doable this is but what about unplugging every electrical connection, blowing them out, put some die electric grease in them then reconnect? Was reading in a rag about brand X that was having a blurble issue and cleaning all of the connections made the blurble it go away.

This is Exactly what happened to me over the weekend. Sled was running great, stopped for about 45 minutes and did exactly the same thing. Stopped again for about 30 minutes to let it cool down and ran it the rest of the weekend, about 120 more miles without an issue. Clean clutches, checked all hoses, 3/4 tank of gas, all stock.

Could this be a negative pressure issue? Sounds like as gas is pumped from the tank, the tank isn't letting enough air so negative pressure occurs causing a vacuum that tries pulling fuel back into the tank instead of where it belongs. It makes sense to me seeing the sled cuts out. Then either gets better the next time because the tank pressure is normal like it should be. If it was positive tank pressure, I don't think it would cut out because it would be forcing fuel to pump instead of taking it away. Years ago a fuel pump went out on my 83 SS 440. So I blew into the fuel overflow hose to create positive pressure in the tank, then put a knot in the overflow line. There was enough tank pressure to get me home. Just a theory guys, thoughts?

All i think i figured something out with my sled today. Keep an eye on your intake temps!!! Mine would ride fine for a little bit then would start cutting out, let it sit for a few minutes start it up ride for a little bit and it would be fine then started cutting out on some long pulls. On the way back to the lodge i clicked the gauge over to air intake temp and did some long pulls and the air intake temp sky rocketed and started shutting down at 100deg. Cleaned out the intercooler and it was immediately better. Something to keep and eye on.

I rode all day Saturday and I swallowed a lot of snow dust. I switched over to air intake and it read from 25/40 all day. The lower half of my cooler was white but still had fins exposed. 218 miles. No issues

Could this be a negative pressure issue? Sounds like as gas is pumped from the tank, the tank isn't letting enough air so negative pressure occurs causing a vacuum that tries pulling fuel back into the tank instead of where it belongs. It makes sense to me seeing the sled cuts out. Then either gets better the next time because the tank pressure is normal like it should be. If it was positive tank pressure, I don't think it would cut out because it would be forcing fuel to pump instead of taking it away. Years ago a fuel pump went out on my 83 SS 440. So I blew into the fuel overflow hose to create positive pressure in the tank, then put a knot in the overflow line. There was enough tank pressure to get me home. Just a theory guys, thoughts?

I called my dealer and suggested this, he said he would check it. I think this might be the answer. It always runs great the first 10-15 miles, takes a little time to build the vacuum. Stop have lunch, same thing, runs great 10-15 miles then vacuum builds again. Should be simple fix if this is the problem fuel vent line.

Latest thought now is TORS, throttle override system. Only peculiar thing is why it takes 10-15 miles to start happening?????

that was my thought as I have had it happen even on my older yamis ...had it happen to sxr on the weekend after 30 miles and had to disconnect

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Just a thought ANY chance a slight amount of engine oil is being blown into the motor ?Seeing quite a bit of carbon build up on underside of panel by muffler outlet. Also have a slight amount of engine oil in the intakes by air box.

I actually think my sled did something similar ONE TIME last ride.. I banged it to the bar and had a VERY slight bog/pop/hesitation.. Not very abrupt > like throwing you over the bars but mine was ever so slight.. Actually figured it was the Rev limiter... Where is the rev limiter at?? 9500???.

Just a thought ANY chance a slight amount of engine oil is being blown into the motor ?Seeing quite a bit of carbon build up on underside of panel by muffler outlet. Also have a slight amount of engine oil in the intakes by air box.

I actually think my sled did something similar ONE TIME last ride.. I banged it to the bar and had a VERY slight bog/pop/hesitation.. Not very abrupt > like throwing you over the bars but mine was ever so slight.. Actually figured it was the Rev limiter... Where is the rev limiter at?? 9500???.
Remember they are spraying oil up the cylinder walls on the back side of the pistons on this new motor. Could it be possible oil could be getting by the rings ?

Back