• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine Cuts Out

The dealer spent a bunch of time working on my sled and really found nothing specific but supposedly its all good now. Go figure! Lots of things tightened, adjusted, and secured, etc. Not doing it now on 2 rides by dealer, my turn next. Unfortunately clubs want us to stay off the trails, warm temps.

The dealer spent a bunch of time working on my sled and really found nothing specific but supposedly its all good now. Go figure! Lots of things tightened, adjusted, and secured, etc. Not doing it now on 2 rides by dealer, my turn next. Unfortunately clubs want us to stay off the trails, warm temps.
Well, 2 good things...it was "hopefully, maybe, probably" the vent, and I hope & pray there is little, to no traffic on the trails this weekend! Happy riding next Wednesday (according to the weather).

Well, 2 good things...it was "hopefully, maybe, probably" the vent, and I hope & pray there is little, to no traffic on the trails this weekend! Happy riding next Wednesday (according to the weather).
I hope you are right, planning on next week Wednesday. I'm sure it's difficult for people who made plans to stay off the trails this weekend but that's what needs to happen. Some areas just close them.

I called my dealer and suggested this, he said he would check it. I think this might be the answer. It always runs great the first 10-15 miles, takes a little time to build the vacuum. Stop have lunch, same thing, runs great 10-15 miles then vacuum builds again. Should be simple fix if this is the problem fuel vent line.

Ride with your gas cap SLIGHTLY open. Natural venting. Only to find out if this is the cause.

Last edited:
Got mine back from dealer and all he did was adjusted the tors control. Then I get a call today and they got the bulletin on the heat shield. What's up with Yamaha, this is bull ****

I put 150 miles on mine after getting it back from dealer and ran perfect. Dealer really found nothing specific. Like I had posted just did a lot of tightening unplugging etc.

Any updates on this? I have the same problem with it cutting out.
Does yours only do it for the first 20-30 miles on a full tank of fuel? after I fill up and burp my tank mine pulls hard to about 6500 rpm or so and cut right out like hitting the kill switch and turning it back on , if I don't burp the tank all is fine and it doesn't cut out.

Does yours only do it for the first 20-30 miles on a full tank of fuel? after I fill up and burp my tank mine pulls hard to about 6500 rpm or so and cut right out like hitting the kill switch and turning it back on , if I don't burp the tank all is fine and it doesn't cut out.

No, mine will do it all day long no matter how much fuel I have in it. Ive never burped it, maybe I'll try it next time out and see if it changes anything. All I know is it's really disappointing!

No, mine will do it all day long no matter how much fuel I have in it. Ive never burped it, maybe I'll try it next time out and see if it changes anything. All I know is it's really disappointing!
After it does it use the recall feature of your tach and see what it says. Maybe you are hitting the rev limiter. Its often missed since what you see on the tach is late and slow. Recall is accurate. Could be belt slipping causing this.

Any updates on this? I have the same problem with it cutting out.
i think i found my cut out problem i think it was my primary clutch roller i had 2 broken half way i change to 3 new one that i had to warranty btw no more issues 1000 miles after hope it was that !!!!!

I may have some direction on the engine cutting out. It may be fuel quality related. Here's my story.......

I bought 2 sidewinder this fall. I bought 1 used LTX LE with 2100 miles on it from a dealer that was traded in and i bought 1 brand new LTX SE from a different dealer. Part of my pre-season prep was to go through both sleds and make some changes and some of those changes included installing new chain case bearings on the used sled. That entailed removing the fuel tank so I removed the fuel from the tank to make my life easier and when I put it all back together I put fresh fuel in it from a local station. The new sled didn't need the tank removed for the track swap as i wasn't changing bearings and the fuel that was in the tank was what ever the dealer i bought it from sent it out with. The first ride of the season, the new sled would occasionally cut out as described but the used sled ran perfect. i checked for the return line fitting update and both sleds had the red fitting and neither were drilled so I thought it was odd that one sled acted like it was starving for fuel and the other ran perfect and the sled that ran perfect was being ridden harder as the new sled was being broken in and also felt out as it was a totally new power delivery compared to the vipers we had that last few years. I went home, drilled the fittings, refueld both sleds and ran them another 300 miles without a hiccup and thought it was cured with the drilled fitting.

Then this past week we went on vacation and put on just over 700 miles and the sleds were flawless up until the last day. What we were doing was when the days riding ended, we topped off the tanks so we could just scoot the next morning without having to dick around filling them up. We stopped at numerous stations throughout the week and sleds ran awesome. Then Friday night we filled at the same station we filled at the last few nights as thats our main drop off point. Saturday morning we fire them up and start to ride. About 20 miles into the ride, my sled (used ltx le) started to gurgle in the midrange and wouldn't rev must over 7k and wouldn't break much over 70. After playing with the throttle positioning a little to try and figure out what I was feeling, the sled nosed over hard, backfired and then chirped back up but was still gurgling in the midrange. A short time later it nosed again, and again and again, each time the duration between episodes decreasing. I pull over to let it sit for a few minutes thing maybe something froze up and the radiant engine heat would hopefully take of it. Just after I shut down, my girlfriend appologizes for falling back as her sled was doing what it did the first ride and she backed off as it wouldn't let her get much into the powerband without cutting out and backfiring. After a few minutes, we fire back up and start riding and immediately mine come almost to a complete stop and almost stalls out and then chirps up and idles fine again. I then tried opening the cap and found no unusual pressure situation and it didn't improve the sleds running mannerisms.

So now we have 2 sleds which have been running flawlessly for 1000 miles since the very first ride where hers was acting up a little but no where near what both sleds starting doing at basically the same trail and the same time. Both sleds have been fueled at the same stations off the same pumps whether it was ethanol free or not since after the first ride. The first ride each sled had fuel from seperate sources and the source hers had was unknown as far as length of time in the tank, ethanol/no ethanol, water contamination etc. The fuel in mine was about 5 gal of fuel from a local station a week or so prior to the forst ride and then topped off the day of where as her sled came from the dealer I bought it from and was in the tank at least 2.5 months before being ridden the first time. I haven't purged the fuel tank and replaced the fuel and tested it but I find it incredibly coincidental that both sleds acted the same way at the same time on the same fuel source. If one was doing it and the other was fine, i would say something was up with one but for both to do it within 1-2 miles of each other and run like ballsack for the remaining 30 miles back to the trailer to pack them up and take them home is too coincidental for it to be back pressure fittings since they are already drilled to a 3/16" opening as others have done. Not sure what the fuel quality is whether it had water in the fuel, poor quality fuel ie; low octane, high ethanol levels or what as I'm not a fuel expert but these sleds appear to be fuel sensative to some degree. I doubt the vipers would have run like that since they were low octane sleds anyway and they would pretty much run on anything without too much issue. Something to think about and try before pulling hair out with sensors, fittings, fuel pressure regulation and what not.

I may have some direction on the engine cutting out. It may be fuel quality related. Here's my story.......

I bought 2 sidewinder this fall. I bought 1 used LTX LE with 2100 miles on it from a dealer that was traded in and i bought 1 brand new LTX SE from a different dealer. Part of my pre-season prep was to go through both sleds and make some changes and some of those changes included installing new chain case bearings on the used sled. That entailed removing the fuel tank so I removed the fuel from the tank to make my life easier and when I put it all back together I put fresh fuel in it from a local station. The new sled didn't need the tank removed for the track swap as i wasn't changing bearings and the fuel that was in the tank was what ever the dealer i bought it from sent it out with. The first ride of the season, the new sled would occasionally cut out as described but the used sled ran perfect. i checked for the return line fitting update and both sleds had the red fitting and neither were drilled so I thought it was odd that one sled acted like it was starving for fuel and the other ran perfect and the sled that ran perfect was being ridden harder as the new sled was being broken in and also felt out as it was a totally new power delivery compared to the vipers we had that last few years. I went home, drilled the fittings, refueld both sleds and ran them another 300 miles without a hiccup and thought it was cured with the drilled fitting.

Then this past week we went on vacation and put on just over 700 miles and the sleds were flawless up until the last day. What we were doing was when the days riding ended, we topped off the tanks so we could just scoot the next morning without having to dick around filling them up. We stopped at numerous stations throughout the week and sleds ran awesome. Then Friday night we filled at the same station we filled at the last few nights as thats our main drop off point. Saturday morning we fire them up and start to ride. About 20 miles into the ride, my sled (used ltx le) started to gurgle in the midrange and wouldn't rev must over 7k and wouldn't break much over 70. After playing with the throttle positioning a little to try and figure out what I was feeling, the sled nosed over hard, backfired and then chirped back up but was still gurgling in the midrange. A short time later it nosed again, and again and again, each time the duration between episodes decreasing. I pull over to let it sit for a few minutes thing maybe something froze up and the radiant engine heat would hopefully take of it. Just after I shut down, my girlfriend appologizes for falling back as her sled was doing what it did the first ride and she backed off as it wouldn't let her get much into the powerband without cutting out and backfiring. After a few minutes, we fire back up and start riding and immediately mine come almost to a complete stop and almost stalls out and then chirps up and idles fine again. I then tried opening the cap and found no unusual pressure situation and it didn't improve the sleds running mannerisms.

So now we have 2 sleds which have been running flawlessly for 1000 miles since the very first ride where hers was acting up a little but no where near what both sleds starting doing at basically the same trail and the same time. Both sleds have been fueled at the same stations off the same pumps whether it was ethanol free or not since after the first ride. The first ride each sled had fuel from seperate sources and the source hers had was unknown as far as length of time in the tank, ethanol/no ethanol, water contamination etc. The fuel in mine was about 5 gal of fuel from a local station a week or so prior to the forst ride and then topped off the day of where as her sled came from the dealer I bought it from and was in the tank at least 2.5 months before being ridden the first time. I haven't purged the fuel tank and replaced the fuel and tested it but I find it incredibly coincidental that both sleds acted the same way at the same time on the same fuel source. If one was doing it and the other was fine, i would say something was up with one but for both to do it within 1-2 miles of each other and run like ballsack for the remaining 30 miles back to the trailer to pack them up and take them home is too coincidental for it to be back pressure fittings since they are already drilled to a 3/16" opening as others have done. Not sure what the fuel quality is whether it had water in the fuel, poor quality fuel ie; low octane, high ethanol levels or what as I'm not a fuel expert but these sleds appear to be fuel sensative to some degree. I doubt the vipers would have run like that since they were low octane sleds anyway and they would pretty much run on anything without too much issue. Something to think about and try before pulling hair out with sensors, fittings, fuel pressure regulation and what not.
So bad gas for some reason Mid season. Have to think it was the stations supplier and not old gas sitting in stations tank. This brings up something that the big tuners are not going to like me saying. Back when tunes for Winder first started coming out it was implied that the Knock protection was not working. Well I believe it maybe doesnt work when a tune is put in but works if left stock. Now call me a Blue Glassed whatever but if Yamaha designed the fuel system on Winders I would be willing to bet its designed at a level that even the best tuners will find very difficult to duplicate. The coding involved with protection systems is HUGE and could have just one line in it that detects tune making stock protections useless or ineffective. The possibilities are endless and nobody but the engineers who built it really know what is in there and how it all works together. This is just my opinion based on my Phazer which also has knock protection. That sled will run on 87 oct almost all the time but every once in a while it will throw the knock light and power is definitly affected maybe even when light is not on. Its designed to be a seamless system and not a hinderance like all the Tuners Knock systems I have ever seen. They are very touchy and throw a light at the slightest change in conditions. Safe? Yes. I wouldnt have a Turbo without it. But Factory I would bet is much more sophisticated. Would be very interesting to get that fuel tested JetPilot.

I had this problem once after it returned from the dealer for its break in oil change. I had mentioned the not starting in cold weather issue I was having and they told me it was because of the digital relays they use and he switched the fuel pump relay with the headlight relay to see if it helped. I had driven the sled pretty hard in the trails with no problem WOT on straight stretches, then I had stopped to wait for my buddies, and shut the engine off. I was only 10 minutes into our ride, when I restarted and went back to check on them I had the same issue as described, my friends sled was acting up so I kept shutting mine off and letting it sit for 5 minutes and try it again, it was still kicking in and out. I had 850 km on the sled and never had this problem before, so I thought maybe the relay was doing it, as a pump not sending the right pressure to a fuel injector would probably feel the same as shutting the engine off temporarily I thought. It started acting fine again and I never had the problem reoccurr, and I have 1700 km on the sled now. The only other thing that they would have touched that was electrical was the connector you have to disconnect to remove the hood. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t the problem, but who’s to say, I’ve had it off more than once since then. By the way it was on the back of my buddies truck for 240 km drive from Sault Ste Marie to Wawa prior to our ride in -30 C weather with no cover so perhaps cold might of had an effect on the relay too. I found my relay problem would occur more so after starting and warming up to temp then shutting off to wait for buddies.

Back