• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EVERYONE RIDING MOUNTAINS THIS YEAR PLEASE READ!!!!

KbxSrx

TY 4 Stroke Guru
I am reading of too many guys dying needlessly in avalanches
PLEASE, GET AN ABS AIRBAG BACKPACK!

Yes, they are expensive.

Yes, they can save your life.

Yes, it can happen to you.

I have done a rescue, missed (by a day) an extrication, NONE OF THE GUYS DYING HAVE AIRBAG PACKS ON!

Please, source one where you are, buy one from your nearest dealer, or PLEASE call me, I have some here.
This is not a money making proposition, these conditions scare the hell out of me and I hate hearing about these deaths.

When I go to the mountains, I take extras for guys I sled with, in the hopes that if something happens, we can help each other.

This may even help you guys on the flatland, in the rivers, lakes, whatever.

Do they come with a beacon, shovel, probe and how much do they cost? I would like to see a video demonstration on it and I think a lot more people would know what you are talking about and how they work if they could see one.

they come with 2 cool bags that inflate to keep your old fuzzy #*$&@ out of the avalanche, 2 triggers, 2 cannisters, for 985.00 cdn. This is the newest 06 model.
all the other stuff-no.

no, there is one on your left shoulder, you pull it. The other is a spare, for testing.
I have talked to guys that have used it, for testing and in an avalanche, if they know they have it, they remember. One guy didnt use his one day, reached for it, and went oh f.....

Got out, but never rode without again.

What is the theory on how they work again? Sorry I know you told me once but post it and I will never ask again thats how good my memory is. lol

PS you should post this in the Safety Forum also!!! ;)!

OK
This is based on the bag of chips theory. Shale up a bag of chips, and notice what haoppens. The smaller pieces migrate to the bottom, the biggest ones stay on top.
When you pull the trigger, 2 huge bags inflate on either side of you, increasing your mass without increasing your weight. Everyone is told to swim in an avalanche, but I would think from what i have seen, you simply flail around and you generally end up where it wants you to. Mind you in the videos I have seen where the guy has a bailed off the sled and had a secnd or 2, swimming seemed to help. Watch MMM3, there are a few where guys get caught, definately had time to pull the trigger.
In tests, dummys were thrown onto unstable slabs that were triggered withoug bags, and another test with ABS bags. All the dummies with bags stayed on the surface, the ones without were buried.
Dummies cant 'swim'.
This may not be a failproof method, but from the numbers I have seen wearing them, from the less loss of life with them, I am sold.
I hope everyone gets one. The biggest bitch I hear is $1000.00??? And yes, I said that when I first saw them, but I wont ride without one. Guys that spend 22000 on a sled and wear a 90.00 (or no) helmet likely wont buy one, guys with a brain in their head do, no matter how much or little their sled cost.

come kbxsrx don`t get people excited and not give the link to their site and video footage on how it works:D

Here it is , some video in the download section.
http://www.abssystem.com/

I have the 2006 model 50(40+10)escape one . Large enough to carry all camera equipment :Rockon:

dugedug- if you want an airbag, I have one. There are 2 other options, one is a 'ventilator' unit that uses a snorkle like scuba diving, the other is for guys like you to stay the hell out of the mountsins. Besides, unless you own ty why do you care if ABS is a sponsor? How much have you donated to the site?

This is for saving lives, please leave the stupid smartass comments out.

If you want a better chance in the mountains, great. If you are just trying to stir up sh1t, go elsewhere.
Back to serious constructive questions PLEASE!

Those are some very interesting videos. The one where the dummies were used in a real avalanche proves to me that they work.

I know $1000.00 isn't a lot of money when it comes to saving a life, but unfortunately most won't spend it on this device, they would rather buy Go Fast Goodies for their sled. They need to get the price down, it's way over priced.

True whacker, most wont.
Some guys go buy zirconias for their wives, hell why not, they are shiny and pretty, and if you dont tell the wife, you can look like a hero to everyone with a 1.5 ct rock. Some guys even buy old volkswagons, I prefer 911 carrera. (dont own either, but thats wht I wold get personally)
When Walmart makes a bag, it will be not quite as comfy, not quite as fast, maybe 1 bag wont inflate, but hey guys will have an ABS pack, "see, it says so right there!"

I have made that mistake once, bought a RCA tv from walmart instead of the RCA retailer, will never do that again. They look the same on the outside, thats all.

Prices dont need to come down, guys need to use their heads when conditions are bad.
My helmet, goggles and boots 2 years ago were almost that much, I wont go without one.

Montana may be different, out west in Revy and Valemont I have talked to guys that spend that much in the bar in a weekend, still dont get any tail, and then cry all the way home over the money they smoked or drank.

My wife wears diamonds, and I have an ABS pack. Everyone can do what they want.

Thankfully I have a sensible lady that isn't easily charmed by jewelry, she knows it has no real value, just a showpiece to try to impress others into thinking you're well off.

Back