• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Donuts

alaskan77

Veteran
I believe my exhaust donuts are gone after 7800 miles on my 09 Apex Mountain. Looks like a job for the shop. Anything else I should be concerned while they are in there?
What should I expect for a $$$ bill to have them changed out?

I will not lie its a job. You remove the gas tank and drop the rear suspension out so you can loosen the exhaust. Took me about 6 hours start to finish. Lots of other things worth checking when your that far into it. Steering bushings, drivers, tunnel cracks, loose rivets etc. With that high mileage it may be best to go through it yourself and find all the crap a shop might not care about. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure there are a bunch of loose/sheared rivets especially area under gas tank. Currently I have my Apex with 16,500 miles torn apart again as exhaust got loud during four day bagger trip. Found right Excell header cracked almost all the way around at mount bracket forward weld. Left header had some very small cracks staring at welds for the mount bracket. The muffler "Y" pipe I had welded last year was fine and the copper donuts I put in last year looked great. This is the fourth time I've had a header crack(two OEM and two Excell). This time I think it was due to all the rivets coming loose in the bracket that the headers slide into and bolt to. This was all tight 1,400 miles ago when I looked at it during the muffler repair. If you only have leaking donuts I would consider myself very lucky.

We'll it wasn't donuts as much as it was a broken header flange. New headers, donuts, steering bushings while it was apart. Oil change, grease and new hi-fax with track adjustment. $1200.00

I think mine were 120 bucks CND for 3. I looked at my new ones after 4000 kms and they are not leaking. Seem like decent parts. I just trail ride and not into jumping which would beat them up.

How much would it cost to replace the exhaust donuts? I have an 06 attack and an curious

Also depends on sticking with OEMs or switching to copper donuts. Not sure if you're planning on doing them yourself or having a shop perform the work. Once you remove the seat and tank, they're not that bad to replace yourself:

ExhaustJoints.JPG

everything mentioned would be good to look at. i ended up doing the tunnel rivits on my 11 about 2 seasons after i did the dounuts on it. 36000 km and counting on the old girl.

Back