• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust

Dstapes88

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Phazer Mtx
So i have a 2008 yamaha phazer mtx and i would like to get a pipe for it to give it a little bit louder tone. I checked out the MBRP exhaust and it seems like a good price. What types of pipes are good? sound decent and are a good price?

Mbpr, excell (extinct) and GYTR seem to be preferred choice with phazer guys. Aaen and barker are also good choices but I believe are really loud. Barker comes with fuel controller. Shmidt also has for phazer and some sound clips on utube. There's the Hindle as well but didn't hold up well at all.
IMHO a fuel controller is a must with a pipe, also be prepared to add a little weight to your primary arms.

I have an 08 with a MBRP. sounds great but it blew a small hole out the end of it. I welded most of it shut and still use it. Ill sell it to you cheap in the summer.
here it is.

Mbpr, excell (extinct) and GYTR seem to be preferred choice with phazer guys. Aaen and barker are also good choices but I believe are really loud. Barker comes with fuel controller. Shmidt also has for phazer and some sound clips on utube. There's the Hindle as well but didn't hold up well at all.
IMHO a fuel controller is a must with a pipe, also be prepared to add a little weight to your primary arms.

The Hindle didn't hold up well? Please elaborate. I was looking to purchase one.

The Hindle didn't hold up well? Please elaborate. I was looking to purchase one.
No.
Many problems with fitment. (Rubbing in many spots) spring deflection taking out my insulation and wearing grooves into exhaust cover. Hangers welded on top of the bends of the pipe leaving no room for there explanation of the "up to 1inch deflection". Broken spring there. Mid pipe. Past mid pipe and one that holds pipe on. Strap caused a lot of damage to chrome muffler. Packing gone in 6-800kms.
Took many calls/emails to get addressed over 10-11months. Granted I laid off trying to follow up during summer months.
Promised a one day turn around and it would absolutely look like new when I got it back.
Paid for overnight shipping and arrived there at 1030am. Plenty of time to repack and ship.
Received chrome muffler back 13 days later after repack and inspection. No call back after inspection to determine what power commander they were going to offer me. Described a "obvious lean condition" with packing gone so quick.
To top it all off, muffler repair was shipped back to me INCOMPLETE. No rivits on both caps, end cap was pushed in too far. No new "updated" strap. Looks like it's packed with steel wool inside.
Called again with them too busy to address, receptionist took it further and had me rivits, new strap, ect shipped ASAP. Took another week to get that.
They finally phoned me back and one guy had no idea what the other promised. Also had no clue about what was done, no clue what was shipped. Of coarse package arrived with no new springs so I was super pissed.
There R&D Dept is currently looking into a new spring design to hold up better. Explained I had no springs and have yet to receive them.

I bought my sled new late December 2014. Bolted chrome exhaust on around 800 km. Jan 28th 2015. Taken off sled at 2200kms. USED FOR ABOUT ONE MONTH. Currently have 7048kms on my sled now and the chrome exhaust is still sitting on my trophy shelf. Caused too much damage to my sled shields, tunnel.
Header did not go in for repair as "there was a reason they welded the tabs at the top of the bend but couldn't remember why". I couldn't get much further with him as he explained to me "he had a CUSTOMER standing in front of him for awhile now".

I use the word chrome as stainless doesn't rust nor do magnets stick to it. I mistakenly thought the entire system was stainless.

Kinda feels good to get that out being asked, been holding back in hopes they would make it right.

EDIT: reason for going in to get repaired is the 4 welds that held the stock cover on broke off leaving 4 holes in rear. That was within 2-300kms.

Last edited:
No.
Many problems with fitment. (Rubbing in many spots) spring deflection taking out my insulation and wearing grooves into exhaust cover. Hangers welded on top of the bends of the pipe leaving no room for there explanation of the "up to 1inch deflection". Broken spring there. Mid pipe. Past mid pipe and one that holds pipe on. Strap caused a lot of damage to chrome muffler. Packing gone in 6-800kms.
Took many calls/emails to get addressed over 10-11months. Granted I laid off trying to follow up during summer months.
Promised a one day turn around and it would absolutely look like new when I got it back.
Paid for overnight shipping and arrived there at 1030am. Plenty of time to repack and ship.
Received chrome muffler back 13 days later after repack and inspection. No call back after inspection to determine what power commander they were going to offer me. Described a "obvious lean condition" with packing gone so quick.
To top it all off, muffler repair was shipped back to me INCOMPLETE. No rivits on both caps, end cap was pushed in too far. No new "updated" strap. Looks like it's packed with steel wool inside.
Called again with them too busy to address, receptionist took it further and had me rivits, new strap, ect shipped ASAP. Took another week to get that.
They finally phoned me back and one guy had no idea what the other promised. Also had no clue about what was done, no clue what was shipped. Of coarse package arrived with no new springs so I was super pissed.
There R&D Dept is currently looking into a new spring design to hold up better. Explained I had no springs and have yet to receive them.

I bought my sled new late December 2014. Bolted chrome exhaust on around 800 km. Jan 28th 2015. Taken off sled at 2200kms. USED FOR ABOUT ONE MONTH. Currently have 7048kms on my sled now and the chrome exhaust is still sitting on my trophy shelf. Caused too much damage to my sled shields, tunnel.
Header did not go in for repair as "there was a reason they welded the tabs at the top of the bend but couldn't remember why". I couldn't get much further with him as he explained to me "he had a CUSTOMER standing in front of him for awhile now".

I use the word chrome as stainless doesn't rust nor do magnets stick to it. I mistakenly thought the entire system was stainless.

Kinda feels good to get that out being asked, been holding back in hopes they would make it right.

EDIT: reason for going in to get repaired is the 4 welds that held the stock cover on broke off leaving 4 holes in rear. That was within 2-300kms.

Jeez. Dissapointing! I guess repacking my Aaen every once in a while is not that big of deal! LOL

I thought right from the get go that Hindle/Hurricane/whomever saying the exhaust required no fuel enhancements....was iffy. HOW can you open the exhaust like that to a very free-flowing design and not add fuel to an engine that runs 11,500rpm? I never installed my PCIII for horsepower, it was solely for safety. I'm sure it added a 2 HP as Aaen performance advised, but yeah I didnt want to run lean.

Ultimately, going with the PCV with auto-tune (need to install the expensive O2 sensor) in a 08+ Phazer would be the way to go. Never worry about lean/rich. I mean my map that was "custom made", I have no idea how they came to the fuel compensation #'s without using an O2 sensor to see how lean/rich it runs.

IF I had to do it all over again, it would be a new Phazer MTX, with: Schmidt bros single muffler, Frogzkins on the airbox, and a PCV with O2 sensor and Auto tune. (and of course do all the clutching myself :))

Rant end and just my 2c as usual

Lil sound clip of my Aaen. WITH the db reducer in place. The Nikon camera does a pretty good job of capturing the sound, but yes sounds different/better in person.

What I've noticed with the Aaen is you get a nasty "bark" that I have not heard from any other brand! This clip at 0:09:

Wholly crap, that Aaen with the Reducer sound/barks more then my Ultra Q that turned itself into a Super Q (internal noise baffle came loose @ 5000 miles). I can say after putting on 600 miles with my heavy stock muffler in place that the Ultra Q really didn't give me any bump in power, my stock Muffler is turning the same RPMs. For what its worth the Ultra Q saved 9# of weight and barely passed the 88 DB @ 4 meters.

Wholly crap, that Aaen with the Reducer sound/barks more then my Ultra Q that turned itself into a Super Q (internal noise baffle came loose @ 5000 miles). I can say after putting on 600 miles with my heavy stock muffler in place that the Ultra Q really didn't give me any bump in power, my stock Muffler is turning the same RPMs. For what its worth the Ultra Q saved 9# of weight and barely passed the 88 DB @ 4 meters.

Aint no way in hell the Aaen will pass any db test anywhere. HAHA. That being said it gave a NOTICEABLE power increase and was like 15 pounds lighter. I gained about 300-400rpm and had to clutch down for it. My next trip out might be this weekend, I'll take some vids of it with the db reducer OUT just for kicks

OK as promised here is a fly-by with the db reducer removed. Its louder in person but seriously in the trees it sounds like an airplane lol. NO, I dont typically ride with it out!

Back