• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Extremely frustrating LTX clutching issue

DigitalFusion

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 Viper LTX, 10 Turbo Phazer MTX, 08 Phazer, 88 SnoScoot
Since the first day I have owned it my LTX seems to have a possessed clutch.

It will either have to rev to the moon in order to enguage, almost like a very aggressive clutch kit, or it just takes off on its own at idle. I know what you are thinking, that its out of adjustment and/or that its because I lock up the track when stopping before taking off again. I assure you this is not the issue.

When I brought it in a while back for the cold-start ECU flash, I asked my dealer about the issues and if they would look into the clutch. They told me it was just dirty and that I needed to clean it. This was a red flag for me since it barely had any miles on it, and I blow the clutch out with compressed air religiously. Regardless I didnt fight what they said and thought perhaps they were right.

I removed the clutch and scrubbed it even tho it wasnt really dirty. I even put it in the dishwasher on the hottest setting. The clutch parts came out completely spotless. After reinstalling the issue remained.

Out of desperation I bought the belt adjuster tool (OSP?) and and 8DN belt. The same issues remain. I had a yamaha clutch guru and former Yamaha racer (who has an entire room dedicated to just trophies) take it for a ride. He said my clutch seemed to be fubared, and that there was no reason that it shouldnt be covered under warranty because something was seriously wrong and it seemed to be sticking.

I've procrastinated an bringing it into the dealer because I have a feeling they are going to just tell me the same thing, that I need to clean the clutches.

Has anyone else ever had similar issues?

Sounds like the moveable sheave is sticking or maybe the spider is cracked.

Since the first day I have owned it my LTX seems to have a possessed clutch.

It will either have to rev to the moon in order to enguage, almost like a very aggressive clutch kit, or it just takes off on its own at idle. I know what you are thinking, that its out of adjustment and/or that its because I lock up the track when stopping before taking off again. I assure you this is not the issue.

When I brought it in a while back for the cold-start ECU flash, I asked my dealer about the issues and if they would look into the clutch. They told me it was just dirty and that I needed to clean it. This was a red flag for me since it barely had any miles on it, and I blow the clutch out with compressed air religiously. Regardless I didnt fight what they said and thought perhaps they were right.

I removed the clutch and scrubbed it even tho it wasnt really dirty. I even put it in the dishwasher on the hottest setting. The clutch parts came out completely spotless. After reinstalling the issue remained.

Out of desperation I bought the belt adjuster tool (OSP?) and and 8DN belt. The same issues remain. I had a yamaha clutch guru and former Yamaha racer (who has an entire room dedicated to just trophies) take it for a ride. He said my clutch seemed to be fubared, and that there was no reason that it shouldnt be covered under warranty because something was seriously wrong and it seemed to be sticking.

I've procrastinated an bringing it into the dealer because I have a feeling they are going to just tell me the same thing, that I need to clean the clutches.

Has anyone else ever had similar issues?
Remove the belt and take the 6 bolts out of primary clutch cover (a small impact works best) just go slow and alternate the bolts until their all lose ( stock clutch spring doesn't have hardly any pressure on it.) with the belt off and the spring removed you should be able to move the outer sheave in and out fairly easy and smoothly....if not its dirty or the slider pucks need a little polishing and the clutch needs to come off and be torn down even more. ( best to leave that to the dealer ). If every moves freely I'd take long look at the secondary clutch and make sure it's closing all the way and the spring is not broken or set to loseor something. Oh the and ramp sliders are in good shape.

Remove the belt and take the 6 bolts out of primary clutch cover (a small impact works best) just go slow and alternate the bolts until their all lose ( stock clutch spring doesn't have hardly any pressure on it.) with the belt off and the spring removed you should be able to move the outer sheave in and out fairly easy and smoothly....if not its dirty or the slider pucks need a little polishing and the clutch needs to come off and be torn down even more. ( best to leave that to the dealer ). If every moves freely I'd take long look at the secondary clutch and make sure it's closing all the way and the spring is not broken or set to loseor something. Oh the and ramp sliders are in good shape.
Also look for any cracks and the fly weights move freely and the rollers roll free and aren't flat spotted and when you put the cover back on make sure the X on the back side of the cover lines up with the one on the spider.

I have the primary pulled finally.

No cracks that I can see, no broken spring. I cleaned it and it still is a bear to slide. I put it in the dishwasher again last night, and its still a bear to slide.

I wish I had the tool to open it up more, because something is not right at all.

One question.. Did you try running the sled/clutch without the belt installed.. Like see if it still engages inconsistently? That would eliminate everything but the primary clutch! you could even do this while watching clutch, and seeing how it ACTS.. Don't rev the piss out of it just throttle slowly and watch for engagement? And note RPM's if inconsistant

Last edited:
I didnt do that, and now I cant.

I just got back from bringing my clutches to the dealer. They are going to pull the spider to inspect it and let me know what they find in the next day or two.

I really wish I had the tool, I would prefer to do this myself and polish things up while doing so.

Back